ICH5R Raid fails format during XP Pro install.

Board is P4C800-E dlx
1024 ddr mem
3.2 intel cpu
Plextor CD burner
1016 bios

I set up 2 80 gig. Maxtor drives as a raid 0. The 2 drives are both maxtor
80 gig 7200rpm but not the same model. No problem setting them up in a raid.
Raid bios setup runs fine. See's 2 drives in a 152 gig volume1 raid.

F6 in the driver. XP see's the raid drive but during the XP install after I
partition the drive and then select the partion to install windows on it
completes the format but then I get "Format could not complete. Please check
to be sure drive is installed correctly".

Same msg. no matter what partition I try to install on. I must then abort
install. When I reboot the Raid bios shows up as failed. I have reset the
drives back to non-raid and tried over many times with same result. Got
latest drivers from Asus. These 2 drives both worked fine just before trying
to set up the raid.

Any Ideas
2 answers Last reply
More about ich5r raid fails format install

    On Sun, 2 May 2004 17:50:38 -0400, "clif" <noone@where.com> wrote:

    >Board is P4C800-E dlx
    >1024 ddr mem
    >3.2 intel cpu
    >Plextor CD burner
    >1016 bios
    >

    >I set up 2 80 gig. Maxtor drives as a raid 0. The 2 drives are both maxtor
    >80 gig 7200rpm but not the same model. No problem setting them up in a raid.
    >Raid bios setup runs fine. See's 2 drives in a 152 gig volume1 raid.
    >
    >F6 in the driver. XP see's the raid drive but during the XP install after I
    >partition the drive and then select the partion to install windows on it
    >completes the format but then I get "Format could not complete. Please check
    >to be sure drive is installed correctly".
    >
    >Same msg. no matter what partition I try to install on. I must then abort
    >install. When I reboot the Raid bios shows up as failed. I have reset the
    >drives back to non-raid and tried over many times with same result. Got
    >latest drivers from Asus. These 2 drives both worked fine just before trying
    >to set up the raid.
    >
    >Any Ideas

    are these sata oa ata drives ?

    I hade the same problem, but i was using ata drives with a sata to ata
    adater on the sata connectors...it turns out that the "RocketHead***"
    sata adapter is not compatable with raid-0 as they*** work fine with a
    single sata channel...

    the only other thing otherwise similar was that mine were twin 40 gb
    maxtor drives...(ata 133...)

    fyi
    ñíñjà¤têç

    ---END---PGP---SIGNATURE---

    Yep, they are ata drives with an adapter. They're Asus adapters, so I don't
    know if they are the rockethead. But it looks like the same problem you had.
    Thanks for the info.

    "sister" <bs@aol.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 2 May 2004 17:50:38 -0400, "clif" <noone@where.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Board is P4C800-E dlx
    > >1024 ddr mem
    > >3.2 intel cpu
    > >Plextor CD burner
    > >1016 bios
    > >

    > >I set up 2 80 gig. Maxtor drives as a raid 0. The 2 drives are both
    maxtor
    > >80 gig 7200rpm but not the same model. No problem setting them up in a
    raid.
    > >Raid bios setup runs fine. See's 2 drives in a 152 gig volume1 raid.
    > >
    > >F6 in the driver. XP see's the raid drive but during the XP install after
    > >partition the drive and then select the partion to install windows on it
    > >completes the format but then I get "Format could not complete. Please
    check
    > >to be sure drive is installed correctly".
    > >
    > >Same msg. no matter what partition I try to install on. I must then abort
    > >install. When I reboot the Raid bios shows up as failed. I have reset the
    > >drives back to non-raid and tried over many times with same result. Got
    > >latest drivers from Asus. These 2 drives both worked fine just before
    trying
    > >to set up the raid.
    > >
    > >Any Ideas
    > >

    > are these sata oa ata drives ?
    >
    > I hade the same problem, but i was using ata drives with a sata to ata
    > adater on the sata connectors...it turns out that the "RocketHead***"
    > sata adapter is not compatable with raid-0 as they*** work fine with a
    > single sata channel...
    >
    > the only other thing otherwise similar was that mine were twin 40 gb
    > maxtor drives...(ata 133...)
    >
    > fyi
    > ñíñjà¤têç
    >
    > ---END---PGP---SIGNATURE---

Asus NAS / RAID Windows XP Format Motherboards