no sound or internet a7n8x-x

Hi,
I built an amd 2400
asus a7n8x-x mo
256 drr 400 ram
40 gig harddrive
The problems I am having I think are software related but I can't figure out
where or what files to get.
I have the sound icon in the tray but no sound, so I downloaded ac97
software that installed fine but still no sound.
The internet is driving me crazy! I see the nic card in the device manager
and went into network settings and everything looks right but when I go
online I get a dns error.

I went to system information and under problem devices is pci steering
How and where do I get the drivers for the pci steering problem

Thanks I know it is a lot of problems

---
More about sound internet a7n8x

    "Laura Taylor" <ltaylor2@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I built an amd 2400
    > asus a7n8x-x mo
    > 256 drr 400 ram
    > 40 gig harddrive
    > The problems I am having I think are software related but I can't figure
    out
    > where or what files to get.
    > I have the sound icon in the tray but no sound, so I downloaded ac97
    > software that installed fine but still no sound.
    > The internet is driving me crazy! I see the nic card in the device manager
    > and went into network settings and everything looks right but when I go
    > online I get a dns error.
    >
    > I went to system information and under problem devices is pci steering
    > How and where do I get the drivers for the pci steering problem
    >
    > Thanks I know it is a lot of problems
    >

    > ---

    Did you install the basic set of nvidia drivers? ..
    If you dont do that then lots of stuff wont work correctly

    yes i installed the drivers, funny thing is i have the sound icon and my
    router is seeing the computer.But i am still getting the dns error.

    On 02 May 2004, Laura Taylor wrote:

    > I built an amd 2400
    > asus a7n8x-x mo

    > I have the sound icon in the tray but no sound
    > I see the nic card in the device manager...but when I go online
    > I get a dns error.

    > I went to system information and under problem devices is pci steering
    > How and where do I get the drivers for the pci steering problem

    Don't worry about the PCI Steering problem. There's a good reason
    for it and an explanation on the MS site I think (Google will lead you
    to it if it's not there). Anyway, I have this and everything works OK.

    Do you have any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?
    I would look in your BIOS first to see if anything has been disabled,
    and then re-install the motherboard drivers. Since both your audio
    and your LAN chips aren't working, I'm pretty sure that's where
    your problem lies.

    > yes i installed the drivers, funny thing is i have the sound icon and my
    > router is seeing the computer.But i am still getting the dns error.

    If the router is seeing the computer then that's good (means no hardware
    failure).

    What is the DNS error, and is this the first time you have used this router

    this is a fresh install of win98se. I just reformatted and put in the
    drivers from the cd that came with the motherboard. I still have no sound
    although it looks like I have sound, it shows the nic but no internet. Dns
    error is that it cant find the server
    Where on the cd does it have the pci drivers? In the device manger it shows
    as other devices a
    pci universal serial bus, I cant find the drivers for that on the cd. Also
    in system information it shows ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering; This
    device has a problem device failure.

    > "Laura Taylor" <ltaylor2@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > yes i installed the drivers, funny thing is i have the sound icon and my
    > > router is seeing the computer.But i am still getting the dns error.
    >
    > If the router is seeing the computer then that's good (means no hardware
    > failure).
    >
    > What is the DNS error, and is this the first time you have used this
    router

    ---

    Hi I formated and reinstalled everything, i am now online. I do not have
    any exclamation marks in the device manager but still can not get any sound.
    It acts like i have sound, ie i have the sound icon in my system tray, and
    when i go to the sound properties in control panel it plays but i do not
    hear anything. i made sure my volume was up and tried all three plugs in the
    back but still no sound. I also do not get any system sounds at start up, no
    beeps or anything.
    This one has me puzzled ;-)
    Thanks for your help. Laura

    In article <1hAlc.7862$vz5.4787@nwrdny01.gnilink.net>, "laura"
    <ltaylor2@verizon.net> wrote:

    > Hi I formated and reinstalled everything, i am now online. I do not have
    > any exclamation marks in the device manager but still can not get any sound.
    > It acts like i have sound, ie i have the sound icon in my system tray, and
    > when i go to the sound properties in control panel it plays but i do not
    > hear anything. i made sure my volume was up and tried all three plugs in the
    > back but still no sound. I also do not get any system sounds at start up, no
    > beeps or anything.
    > This one has me puzzled ;-)
    > Thanks for your help. Laura

    Check the FPAUDIO header on the motherboard. There should be
    two jumpers installed on the header. The jumpers connect
    the audio chip to the lime colored lineout connector on the
    back of the computer. The jumpers are not shown in the
    downloadable a7n8x-x manual I have here, but some of the
    other a7n8x family motherboards have the following picture:

    MIC2 X X AGND
    MICPWR X X +5VA
    Line_out_R X<-->X BLINE_OUT_R
    NC X
    Line_out_L X<-->X BLINE_OUT_L

    The motherboard should have shipped from the factory with
    those two jumpers in place. Note there is one missing pin
    on the header (only 9 X's shown above, where X is a pin).
    <--> is my symbol for a jumper.

    HTH,
    Paul

    On 03 May 2004, Laura Taylor wrote:

    > ...still can not get any sound.
    > It acts like i have sound, ie i have the sound icon in my system tray, and
    > when i go to the sound properties in control panel it plays but i do not
    > hear anything. i made sure my volume was up and tried all three plugs in the
    > back but still no sound. I also do not get any system sounds at start up, no
    > beeps or anything.

    No start-up beep suggests that either "Quick Power On Self Test" is disabled
    in the BIOS (p. 2-14 of the manual), or that your case speaker isn't correctly
    connected to the motherboard (p. 1-19). Is "Onboard AC97 Audio Controller"
    disabled in the BIOS?

    thak you,
    I got the start up beep,the stupid case i got have a separate speaker
    connection, it is weird the connector attched to a small barrel looking
    kinda speaker.My other cases always had them attched to the front of the
    case. Now for some reason even i dont know i took those jumpers off ? i dont
    know why but my question is this; on the fpaudio where do the 2 jumpers go?
    > In article <1hAlc.7862$vz5.4787@nwrdny01.gnilink.net>, "laura"
    > <ltaylor2@verizon.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi I formated and reinstalled everything, i am now online. I do not
    have
    > > any exclamation marks in the device manager but still can not get any
    sound.
    > > It acts like i have sound, ie i have the sound icon in my system tray,
    and
    > > when i go to the sound properties in control panel it plays but i do not
    > > hear anything. i made sure my volume was up and tried all three plugs in
    the
    > > back but still no sound. I also do not get any system sounds at start
    up, no
    > > beeps or anything.
    > > This one has me puzzled ;-)
    > > Thanks for your help. Laura
    >
    > Check the FPAUDIO header on the motherboard. There should be
    > two jumpers installed on the header. The jumpers connect
    > the audio chip to the lime colored lineout connector on the
    > back of the computer. The jumpers are not shown in the
    > downloadable a7n8x-x manual I have here, but some of the
    > other a7n8x family motherboards have the following picture:
    >
    > MIC2 X X AGND
    > MICPWR X X +5VA
    > Line_out_R X<-->X BLINE_OUT_R
    > NC X
    > Line_out_L X<-->X BLINE_OUT_L
    >
    > The motherboard should have shipped from the factory with
    > those two jumpers in place. Note there is one missing pin
    > on the header (only 9 X's shown above, where X is a pin).
    > <--> is my symbol for a jumper.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul

    Sorry i just reread your post after i posted back i found it and i now have
    sound!
    i know why i took them off in the first place, i have a case that has usb
    and a mic and headset connections.
    In the manuel fp_audio1 says it is for front panel audio cable.
    All the connectors matched so i took off the jumpers.
    Now i am not sure where the front panel connections go.

    In article <cpUlc.8300$L8.379@nwrdny02.gnilink.net>, "laura"
    <ltaylor2@verizon.net> wrote:

    > Sorry i just reread your post after i posted back i found it and
    > i now have sound!
    > i know why i took them off in the first place, i have a case that
    > has usb and a mic and headset connections.
    > In the manuel fp_audio1 says it is for front panel audio cable.
    > All the connectors matched so i took off the jumpers.
    > Now i am not sure where the front panel connections go.
    >
    > > > MIC2 X X AGND
    > > > MICPWR X X +5VA
    > > > Line_out_R X<-->X BLINE_OUT_R
    > > > NC X
    > > > Line_out_L X<-->X BLINE_OUT_L
    > > >
    > > > The motherboard should have shipped from the factory with
    > > > those two jumpers in place. Note there is one missing pin
    > > > on the header (only 9 X's shown above, where X is a pin).
    > > > <--> is my symbol for a jumper.

    Here is an "ASCII art" picture of the wiring:
    -------------
    | |
    ----------| Sound |
    | | Chip |
    | ------| |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    Case Front Audio | | -------------
    ("Interrupting" Type Jack) | |
    | |
    -------- 1 AGND | | Lime Lineout (Back)
    | ______ 2 Line_out_R <------ |
    - -| / ^ | AGND ----------+ (SLEEVE)
    | | |--- 3 BLINE_OUT_R -------- | --------------------+ (RING)
    | | |
    | | |--- 4 BLINE_OUT_L -------- | ------------------+ (TIP)
    | | v |
    - -| \_____ 5 Line_out_L <----------

    The sound starts with the sound chip, then the stereo signals
    go to the Line_out_R and Line_out_L signals. If you have the
    two jumpers in place, the signals get bridged to the back of
    the computer.

    When you remove the jumpers, you need an "Interrupting" type
    jack for the headphone jack on the front of the computer. If the
    jack has only three wires (Left, Right, GND), then there are
    no "return" signals available to drive BLINE_OUT_R and
    BLINE_OUT_L.

    The way the interrupting type jack works, is when no headset
    is plugged in, the two contacts close, and work just like
    they were jumpers, to jumper the sound chip signals to
    the connector on the back of the computer.

    When you plug a headset into the front of the computer, the
    plug causes the contacts to open. The headset gets its audio
    signal OK, but because the contacts are open, this disconnects
    the signals from the back of the computer.

    If your case doesn't have the "interrupting" type jack, then
    wire "3" and "4" in the diagram above, are missing. Then, the
    front headset jack works, but the back doesn't. If you can
    find a way of leaving the jumpers in place, while connecting
    the headphone jack, then sound will be available front and
    back, all the time. There are no retail products available to
    do this, and due to the presence of the +5V signal on
    the FPAUDIO header, I don't recommend neophyte wiring to
    try to solve the problem. (Shorting +5 to something could
    cause problems.)

    An Asus J-Panel is a drive bay mounted product that gives
    you some connectors including a proper headphone jack. If
    you have money to burn, try one of these.

    http://ec1.macrotron.de/PDF/B99Z429.pdf

    HTH,
    Paul

Asus Internet Motherboards