P4C800E-Deluxe--Promise Raid0 + PATA Ultra133?

Hello ALL:

I have a SATA Raid 0 on my Promise Controller. MoBo is at BIOS level
1014.

I attached an Ultra 133 250 GB drive to the Promise as well and can only
partition it if I tell the BIOS to not use RAID.

Does this mean that the Promise ONly supports pairs of drives if in
RAID? It sure seems as though I can NOT use the SATA ports on the
Promise controller as RAID 0 AND the Ultra133 IDE port as a non-RAID 3rd
drive.

Is this true?

TIA
2 answers Last reply
More about p4c800e deluxe promise raid0 pata ultra133

    I have the same MB, but I really haven't tried all the hardware
    configurations.

    The way I read the manual, the Promise chip on this MB _only_
    supports RAID configurations. If you don't want RAID, you need
    to use the Intel chip drive connections. This is why these
    connectors on the MB are labeled "SATA_RAID1", "SATA_RAID2",
    and "PRI_RAID".

    In terms of connecting up drives, forgiving the manual for
    some unclear English, you can have either (1) one P-ATA drive
    and one S-ATA drive, or (2) two S-ATA drives. Basically, a
    total of two drives of any type as long as one of them is
    a S-ATA drive. I guess you can't RAID with two P-ATA drives,
    both on the same channel (one master and one slave) because
    one can only access one drive per channel at a time.

    Dave wrote:

    > Does this mean that the Promise ONly supports pairs of drives if in
    > RAID? It sure seems as though I can NOT use the SATA ports on the
    > Promise controller as RAID 0 AND the Ultra133 IDE port as a non-RAID 3rd
    > drive.
    >
    > Is this true?

    Yes, it is confusing. I am using SATA RAID0 on the Promise and thought I
    could hook the PATA drive up to the Ultra133 Promise connector just to
    format the new drive. However, it is not even seen.

    Walt <NoSpamForWalt@Early.com> wrote in news:40991628.6CB06BF4
    @Early.com:

    > I have the same MB, but I really haven't tried all the hardware
    > configurations.
    >
    > The way I read the manual, the Promise chip on this MB _only_
    > supports RAID configurations. If you don't want RAID, you need
    > to use the Intel chip drive connections. This is why these
    > connectors on the MB are labeled "SATA_RAID1", "SATA_RAID2",
    > and "PRI_RAID".
    >
    > In terms of connecting up drives, forgiving the manual for
    > some unclear English, you can have either (1) one P-ATA drive
    > and one S-ATA drive, or (2) two S-ATA drives. Basically, a
    > total of two drives of any type as long as one of them is
    > a S-ATA drive. I guess you can't RAID with two P-ATA drives,
    > both on the same channel (one master and one slave) because
    > one can only access one drive per channel at a time.
    >
    > Dave wrote:
    >>
    >> Does this mean that the Promise ONly supports pairs of drives if in
    >> RAID? It sure seems as though I can NOT use the SATA ports on the
    >> Promise controller as RAID 0 AND the Ultra133 IDE port as a non-RAID
    3rd
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> Is this true?

Asus BIOS Controller SATA NAS / RAID Motherboards