P4C800E-Deluxe--Promise Raid0 + PATA Ultra133?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
May 3, 2004 8:45:25 AM

Hello ALL:

I have a SATA Raid 0 on my Promise Controller. MoBo is at BIOS level
1014.

I attached an Ultra 133 250 GB drive to the Promise as well and can only
partition it if I tell the BIOS to not use RAID.

Does this mean that the Promise ONly supports pairs of drives if in
RAID? It sure seems as though I can NOT use the SATA ports on the
Promise controller as RAID 0 AND the Ultra133 IDE port as a non-RAID 3rd
drive.

Is this true?

TIA
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2004 4:28:24 PM

I have the same MB, but I really haven't tried all the hardware
configurations.

The way I read the manual, the Promise chip on this MB _only_
supports RAID configurations. If you don't want RAID, you need
to use the Intel chip drive connections. This is why these
connectors on the MB are labeled "SATA_RAID1", "SATA_RAID2",
and "PRI_RAID".

In terms of connecting up drives, forgiving the manual for
some unclear English, you can have either (1) one P-ATA drive
and one S-ATA drive, or (2) two S-ATA drives. Basically, a
total of two drives of any type as long as one of them is
a S-ATA drive. I guess you can't RAID with two P-ATA drives,
both on the same channel (one master and one slave) because
one can only access one drive per channel at a time.

Dave wrote:

> Does this mean that the Promise ONly supports pairs of drives if in
> RAID? It sure seems as though I can NOT use the SATA ports on the
> Promise controller as RAID 0 AND the Ultra133 IDE port as a non-RAID 3rd
> drive.
>
> Is this true?
May 6, 2004 10:51:12 PM

Yes, it is confusing. I am using SATA RAID0 on the Promise and thought I
could hook the PATA drive up to the Ultra133 Promise connector just to
format the new drive. However, it is not even seen.

Walt <NoSpamForWalt@Early.com> wrote in news:40991628.6CB06BF4
@Early.com:

!