How to flash bios - QDI-Mainboard

Hallo,

I would like to upgrade my daughter's PC from Win2K to WinXP - if I set the
bios to "boot from CD only" I get an error message, that the system cannot
be booted. If I set 2nd boot device to hard disk, it boots without any
question from the hard disk. I decided to flush the bios, but for that you
need a win98 os, which I don't have. Any ideas?

Thank you

Susanne

Susanne;
Are you sure?
The BIOS has little to do with the operating system.
You do not need an operating system installed to flash the BIOS.
Check your motherboard manual or contact the manufacturer for flash
information.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Susanne Senger" <susanne.senger@web.de> wrote in message
> Hallo,
>
> I would like to upgrade my daughter's PC from Win2K to WinXP - if I
set the
> bios to "boot from CD only" I get an error message, that the system
cannot
> be booted. If I set 2nd boot device to hard disk, it boots without
any
> question from the hard disk. I decided to flush the bios, but for
that you
> need a win98 os, which I don't have. Any ideas?
>
> Thank you
>
> Susanne

peter

Hi,

CARE: An improper update of BIOS would turn your PC into a dead stone.
Make sure you are really needed for update BIOS, refer to the mobo user manual or go to the mobo manufacturer's website for a search of the utility tools for flash BIOS. There is no need for an OS to flash BIOS.

BTW, I don't think you need to update BIOS for just changing the Boot sequence.

To boot from the XP CD, first boot into BIOS and set the boot sequence that CD-rom to be the first boot device and Hdd to be the second boot device then save and exit BIOS.
Insert the XP CD into the CD tray and restart the PC.
After POST, when prompted "Press any key to boot from the CD" appeared at the bottom of the screen, press the space bar immediately; NOTE: you just have a few seconds to do that (one or two seconds).
Or, you can just restart the PC and press the space bar continuously until it booted from the CD.

Hope it helps.

Peter