Sign in with
Your question

How to preapre bootable usb for ibook g4

Last response: in Mac Os X
April 21, 2012 1:57:29 PM

I tried to upgrade my max os to 10.5 and can't start my ibook G4 :( 
i know i've done a big mistake by upgrading software but please tell me is tehre any solution ?
April 28, 2012 8:59:32 AM

mubashirazizch said:
I tried to upgrade my max os to 10.5 and can't start my ibook G4 :( 
i know i've done a big mistake by upgrading software but please tell me is tehre any solution ?

Unfortunately "can't start" isn't something that is descriptive enough, so here's how you can describe it:

1. System does not power on. This means there is absolutely NO response from the machine, including no sounds of fans.

2. System does not POST. POST stands for "Power On Self Test" and you can audibly hear this. It is know as the "Apple Chime"

3. System does not display. This means you can hear the hard drive or fan.

4. System shows a unhappy hard drive. This mean your hard drive is not reading. (THIS DOES NOT MEAN THE HARD DRIVE IS BAD, it just means it can't find an operating system or bootable volume)

5. System is stuck on the "Apple Screen". You will see the Apple logo, but the spinning circle below just keeps going.

In general, Apple's are pretty fool proof. They don't let you install if you don't have the correct software. That being said, on an iBook G4, you should be using the OS Disk, not a USB drive. Not to say that you can't do it at all, but if you were to use a disk imagine, you should be using firewire. Also remember if you tried to "Clone" your drive from a different machine, that does not always work. If one machine is "Intel" and the other is a "PowerPC" the file systems are completely different, and can have some pretty bad problems associated with doing that.
m
l
May 15, 2012 4:46:21 AM

frozen walt disney said:
Unfortunately "can't start" isn't something that is descriptive enough, so here's how you can describe it:

1. System does not power on. This means there is absolutely NO response from the machine, including no sounds of fans.

2. System does not POST. POST stands for "Power On Self Test" and you can audibly hear this. It is know as the "Apple Chime"

3. System does not display. This means you can hear the hard drive or fan.

4. System shows a unhappy hard drive. This mean your hard drive is not reading. (THIS DOES NOT MEAN THE HARD DRIVE IS BAD, it just means it can't find an operating system or bootable volume)

5. System is stuck on the "Apple Screen". You will see the Apple logo, but the spinning circle below just keeps going.

In general, Apple's are pretty fool proof. They don't let you install if you don't have the correct software. That being said, on an iBook G4, you should be using the OS Disk, not a USB drive. Not to say that you can't do it at all, but if you were to use a disk imagine, you should be using firewire. Also remember if you tried to "Clone" your drive from a different machine, that does not always work. If one machine is "Intel" and the other is a "PowerPC" the file systems are completely different, and can have some pretty bad problems associated with doing that.

I'm facing this problem :( 

and i think its power pc. some one told me to install tiger os ! what u suggest ?
m
l
May 15, 2012 5:17:09 AM

does this laptop have important docs on it you cannot loose or have you got everything backed up?
m
l
!