Do routers normally drop connections after idle periods?

My new router (D-Link) holds a stable connection indefinitely while I'm
using my desktop or laptop. But when I close my browser for a
while..maybe two hours or less...it won't connect when I re-open it.
However, a reboot restores the connection. Is this common, or could it
be my particular router?

peter

Does it make any difference if you disable screen saver, hybernate, and
other power saving features in windows?

Is the IP lease expired when it won't connect? (i.e. do you have a valid IP
from the router's DHCP server?)

"Bartt" <bgmerton@abq.com> wrote in message
> My new router (D-Link) holds a stable connection indefinitely while I'm
> using my desktop or laptop. But when I close my browser for a
> while..maybe two hours or less...it won't connect when I re-open it.
> However, a reboot restores the connection. Is this common, or could it be
> my particular router?

I already have power-saving disabled. I don't understand the second
question.

peter wrote:
> Does it make any difference if you disable screen saver, hybernate, and
> other power saving features in windows?
>
> Is the IP lease expired when it won't connect? (i.e. do you have a valid IP
> from the router's DHCP server?)
>
> "Bartt" <bgmerton@abq.com> wrote in message
>
>>My new router (D-Link) holds a stable connection indefinitely while I'm
>>using my desktop or laptop. But when I close my browser for a
>>while..maybe two hours or less...it won't connect when I re-open it.
>>However, a reboot restores the connection. Is this common, or could it be
>>my particular router?

I have found that D-Link have the best routers and the
most stable. But I am running into a lot of problems
with computers with SP2 installed. This problem is
common no matter what kind of hardware. It sounds to me
like a software issue on your computer.

"Bartt" <bgmerton@abq.com> wrote in message
> My new router (D-Link) holds a stable connection indefinitely while I'm
> using my desktop or laptop. But when I close my browser for a
> while..maybe two hours or less...it won't connect when I re-open it.
> However, a reboot restores the connection. Is this common, or could it be
> my particular router?
When you close the browser, are you going into standby mode? That will kill
the connection, and it will need to be re-established when you come out of
standby. Normally, on my notebook, that happens automatically, but it can
take about 10 seconds using WEP encryption, or sometimes even 35 seconds if
WPA security is used.

It's my desktop browser that has the problem. I have standby and
hibernate disabled, but it still drops the connection.

Jim Fox wrote:
> "Bartt" <bgmerton@abq.com> wrote in message
>
>>My new router (D-Link) holds a stable connection indefinitely while I'm
>>using my desktop or laptop. But when I close my browser for a
>>while..maybe two hours or less...it won't connect when I re-open it.
>>However, a reboot restores the connection. Is this common, or could it be
>>my particular router?
>
> When you close the browser, are you going into standby mode? That will kill
> the connection, and it will need to be re-established when you come out of
> standby. Normally, on my notebook, that happens automatically, but it can
> take about 10 seconds using WEP encryption, or sometimes even 35 seconds if
> WPA security is used.

I'm seeing disconnects on my Dell 2650 (seemed to be every 10-15
minutes or so) and a Netgear WG511v1 wireless PCMCIA card. The OS is
Windows XP Home SP2. No power saving properties are enabled any where.
I even checked the CMOS. So I came to the conclusion it might be the
screen saver. So I disabled the screen saver and walked away for an
hour and the connection remained stable. I then enable one power
saving property within the desktop properties (turn off screen after 10
minutes). Walked away again and when I came back after 30 minutes the
connection was again stable. Why this is the case I can't explain.
The wireless software drivers? I have another Dell 1150 with a Dell
WLAN 1350 MiniPCI adaptor using Broadcom drivers and Windows XP Home
SP1. The screen saver doesn't effect it's connection at all. Makes no
sense to me. I hope to someone else.