P4C800-E Deluxe CD boot

Is there any to boot from the CD without altering the bios? I've tried
setting the CD as the 1st or second boot device, but it just goes right and
boots from the HDD.

I frequently want to boot a CD, and altering the bios every time is the only
way I can get it to work.
5 answers Last reply
More about p4c800 deluxe boot

    "Anon" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any to boot from the CD without altering the bios? I've tried
    > setting the CD as the 1st or second boot device, but it just goes right
    and
    > boots from the HDD.
    >
    > I frequently want to boot a CD, and altering the bios every time is the
    only
    > way I can get it to work.

    Don't have a manual handy, but can't you hit F12 or F8 (not the safe mode
    F8) and choose a different boot device?

    "Anon" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any to boot from the CD without altering the bios? I've tried
    > setting the CD as the 1st or second boot device, but it just goes right
    and
    > boots from the HDD.
    >
    > I frequently want to boot a CD, and altering the bios every time is the
    only
    > way I can get it to work.

    Surely you can define CD as the 1st boot device in Bios.

    Both P4C800E-D and P4P800 DLX may automatically reverse to boot from Floppy
    if you reboot during POST.

    You also can choose which CD to as the 1st boot device, by select one of
    them
    in the CD item.

    Sometimes, the CD may react slowly while BIOS seeking, so the boot process
    may go direct to HDD.

    "Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > Don't have a manual handy, but can't you hit F12 or F8 (not the safe mode
    > F8) and choose a different boot device?

    Yeah, pretty sure F8 brings up a menu of all available boot devices. Hit
    that today while trying to find the EZ BIOS update utility (hadn't updated
    the BIOS in like 8 months - can't believe I've had this board that long).

    - Daniel

    Thanks a million. I just tried F8, it presents a scrollable menu with all
    installed devices. I selected the CD drive, and it booted right up.

    Altering the bios every time I wanted to boot a CD was very crude. Thanks
    again for the info.

    On Tue, 04 May 2004 13:22:21 +0900, maximus wrote:

    > "Anon" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
    >> Is there any to boot from the CD without altering the bios? I've tried
    >> setting the CD as the 1st or second boot device, but it just goes right
    > and
    >> boots from the HDD.
    >>
    >> I frequently want to boot a CD, and altering the bios every time is the
    > only
    >> way I can get it to work.
    >>

    > Surely you can define CD as the 1st boot device in Bios.
    >
    > Both P4C800E-D and P4P800 DLX may automatically reverse to boot from Floppy
    > if you reboot during POST.
    >
    > You also can choose which CD to as the 1st boot device, by select one of
    > them
    > in the CD item.
    >
    > Sometimes, the CD may react slowly while BIOS seeking, so the boot process
    > may go direct to HDD.

    Not "sometimes" - every time. Thank heavens for the F8 key.

    Karl L

    --
    Karl L
    Email: karlh@concentric.net