Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

P4C800-E Deluxe CD boot

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
May 3, 2004 10:39:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Is there any to boot from the CD without altering the bios? I've tried
setting the CD as the 1st or second boot device, but it just goes right and
boots from the HDD.

I frequently want to boot a CD, and altering the bios every time is the only
way I can get it to work.

More about : p4c800 deluxe boot

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2004 9:10:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"Anon" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
news:AvClc.10605$A27.9246@fed1read06...
> Is there any to boot from the CD without altering the bios? I've tried
> setting the CD as the 1st or second boot device, but it just goes right
and
> boots from the HDD.
>
> I frequently want to boot a CD, and altering the bios every time is the
only
> way I can get it to work.

Don't have a manual handy, but can't you hit F12 or F8 (not the safe mode
F8) and choose a different boot device?
May 4, 2004 5:22:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"Anon" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
news:AvClc.10605$A27.9246@fed1read06...
> Is there any to boot from the CD without altering the bios? I've tried
> setting the CD as the 1st or second boot device, but it just goes right
and
> boots from the HDD.
>
> I frequently want to boot a CD, and altering the bios every time is the
only
> way I can get it to work.
>

Surely you can define CD as the 1st boot device in Bios.

Both P4C800E-D and P4P800 DLX may automatically reverse to boot from Floppy
if you reboot during POST.

You also can choose which CD to as the 1st boot device, by select one of
them
in the CD item.

Sometimes, the CD may react slowly while BIOS seeking, so the boot process
may go direct to HDD.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2004 6:53:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:WAFlc.361963$oR5.283081@pd7tw3no...
>
> Don't have a manual handy, but can't you hit F12 or F8 (not the safe mode
> F8) and choose a different boot device?


Yeah, pretty sure F8 brings up a menu of all available boot devices. Hit
that today while trying to find the EZ BIOS update utility (hadn't updated
the BIOS in like 8 months - can't believe I've had this board that long).

- Daniel
May 5, 2004 6:53:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Thanks a million. I just tried F8, it presents a scrollable menu with all
installed devices. I selected the CD drive, and it booted right up.

Altering the bios every time I wanted to boot a CD was very crude. Thanks
again for the info.


"Daniel Tonks" <dtonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM> wrote in message
news:40989041$0$17264$a1866201@authen.newsreader.visi.com...
> "Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> news:WAFlc.361963$oR5.283081@pd7tw3no...
> >
> > Don't have a manual handy, but can't you hit F12 or F8 (not the safe
mode
> > F8) and choose a different boot device?
>
>
> Yeah, pretty sure F8 brings up a menu of all available boot devices. Hit
> that today while trying to find the EZ BIOS update utility (hadn't updated
> the BIOS in like 8 months - can't believe I've had this board that long).
>
> - Daniel
>
>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2004 3:53:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

On Tue, 04 May 2004 13:22:21 +0900, maximus wrote:

>
> "Anon" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
> news:AvClc.10605$A27.9246@fed1read06...
>> Is there any to boot from the CD without altering the bios? I've tried
>> setting the CD as the 1st or second boot device, but it just goes right
> and
>> boots from the HDD.
>>
>> I frequently want to boot a CD, and altering the bios every time is the
> only
>> way I can get it to work.
>>
>
> Surely you can define CD as the 1st boot device in Bios.
>
> Both P4C800E-D and P4P800 DLX may automatically reverse to boot from Floppy
> if you reboot during POST.
>
> You also can choose which CD to as the 1st boot device, by select one of
> them
> in the CD item.
>
> Sometimes, the CD may react slowly while BIOS seeking, so the boot process
> may go direct to HDD.


Not "sometimes" - every time. Thank heavens for the F8 key.

Karl L

--
Karl L
Email: karlh@concentric.net
Homepage: http://hakmiller.rootsweb.com
============= Linux Lives! ============
!