cd writer not recognized

My computer stopped recognizing Creative CD Writer 4-2-24x.
I'm running XP home edition.
It recognizes CD Reader drive as drive D,
but does not recoginze the CD writer, which used to be Drive E.
I restored my system to Sat. May1, 2004, (3 days ago) when CD Writer was working OK,
but my computer still does not see the CD Writer.
It's not on the devices list or under My Computer.
Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Adam

peter

Hi,

Jason Tsang MVP wrote:

Goto http://www.aumha.org/a/xpcd.php#problems
See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
Run the provided registry patch

That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers references for your cdrom(s))

Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this website in addition to removing some drivers that may have been used by older versions of Easy CD Creator that are known to cause problems with WinXP.

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP
;q314060]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];q314060

Hope it helps.

Peter

----- AdamW wrote: -----

My computer stopped recognizing Creative CD Writer 4-2-24x.
I'm running XP home edition.
It recognizes CD Reader drive as drive D,
but does not recoginze the CD writer, which used to be Drive E.
I restored my system to Sat. May1, 2004, (3 days ago) when CD Writer was working OK,
but my computer still does not see the CD Writer.
It's not on the devices list or under My Computer.
Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Adam

Thanks, Peter
I solved the problem by asking for help at Help and Support. They forwarded a procedure to delete
Upper and Lower Filters from Registry Editor. Since then my cd writer works fine.
Thanks for your help. Adam