P4PE AGP slot doesn't work?

Thanks in advance.

I pulled the GeForce4 card out and brushed the dust off the fan. When I put
it back in, it didn't work. I tried two other new AGP video cards and none
work. I have upgraded the bios to the latest version and set default
settings. I'm at a loss. I can get it up with a PCI video card.

Any suggestions appreciated,

Dave H.

More about p4pe slot doesn work

    Sounds like your motherboard's AGP died.

    --
    DaveW

    > Sounds like your motherboard's AGP died.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW
    >

    > "DH" <xxxdaveoh@swbell.net(axe the x's)> wrote in message
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > I pulled the GeForce4 card out and brushed the dust off the fan. When I
    > put
    > > it back in, it didn't work. I tried two other new AGP video cards and
    > none
    > > work. I have upgraded the bios to the latest version and set default
    > > settings. I'm at a loss. I can get it up with a PCI video card.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions appreciated,
    > >
    > > Dave H.
    > >
    > > --

    Is that possible? Who ever herd of an AGP slot going south!

    Dave H.

    In article <c79hgu$1cese$1@ID-98730.news.uni-berlin.de>, "DH"
    <xxxdaveoh@swbell.net(axe the x's)> wrote:

    > "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
    > > Sounds like your motherboard's AGP died.
    > >
    > > DaveW
    > >
    > > "DH" <xxxdaveoh@swbell.net(axe the x's)> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks in advance.
    > > >
    > > > I pulled the GeForce4 card out and brushed the dust off the fan.
    > > > When I put it back in, it didn't work. I tried two other new
    > > > AGP video cards and none work. I have upgraded the bios to the
    > > > latest version and set default settings. I'm at a loss. I can
    > > > get it up with a PCI video card.
    > > >
    > > > Any suggestions appreciated,
    > > >
    > > > Dave H.
    > > >

    > Is that possible? Who ever herd of an AGP slot going south!
    >
    > Dave H.

    When you insert an AGP card, does the "AGP Warn" LED light on the
    motherboard ? Is all power gated off, as in pressing the power
    button on the front of the computer results in no fans spinning ?

    The AGP Warn circuit checks for a 1.5V AGP card, by monitoring
    the TYPEDET# pin on the AGP connector. If the AGP Warn circuit
    malfunctions, then you won't be able to get the fans to spin,
    and the red LED should be lit up as long as +5VSB power is
    available on the motherboard. That is the same power source
    as runs the green LED on the motherboard.

    It is possible you have a mechanical alignment problem with
    the video cards and the motherboard. For example, if you
    happen to be using motherboard standoffs from another computer
    case with your current case, they can lift the motherboard
    to the wrong level with respect to the slot holes in the
    back of the computer. The result would be your AGP card would
    be canted at an angle to the motherboard, and the AGP signal
    contacts might not be aligned properly.

    Similarly, if you placed fiber washers on top of the standoffs,
    that ruins the mechanical alignment as well.

    As a test, try pulling the motherboard from the case and
    running the video card in the motherboard then. See if that
    fixes it.

    HTH,
    Paul

    It is possible for the agp slot to die, I had a soyo board that had some
    capictors on it that leaked thus causing the agp slot to cease functioning.
    There could also be several other causes for this, such as the card not
    being seated in the slot properly, grouding issues, capicitor leakeage etc..
    Unfortunatly AGP boot problems are hard to diagnose. How does your system
    not boot up? Are you getting beep codes, does everything power up (fans
    etc) and no video comes through? My suggestion would be to let me know if
    the system is beeping when it starts or just fans power up etc.. My soyo
    would only boot with the AGP card 1 for every 50 re-seats of the card. If
    that is the case then there might be a capacitor problem. Capacitors being
    the tube like things that stick up from the motherboard. If there appears
    to be any brown goo or corrosion etc.. then they are bad and can make
    motherboards act funny.

    CaptBaldo

    > "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
    > > Sounds like your motherboard's AGP died.
    > >
    > > --
    > > DaveW
    > >

    > > "DH" <xxxdaveoh@swbell.net(axe the x's)> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks in advance.
    > > >
    > > > I pulled the GeForce4 card out and brushed the dust off the fan. When
    > > put
    > > > it back in, it didn't work. I tried two other new AGP video cards and
    > > none
    > > > work. I have upgraded the bios to the latest version and set default
    > > > settings. I'm at a loss. I can get it up with a PCI video card.
    > > >
    > > > Any suggestions appreciated,
    > > >
    > > > Dave H.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > >

    > Is that possible? Who ever herd of an AGP slot going south!
    >
    > Dave H.

    Paul and CaptBaldo, thank you for your most thorough replies.

    I am getting a single post beep. The agp cards that I have tried will not
    power-on the monitor. Although I can't see the display, I suspect that it
    is booting because of the sound of the hard drive access. I have tried
    moving the agp card to a number of positions with no luck. I suspect that a
    new motherboard is the answer.

    Thank again,

    Dave H.

    In article <c7adsl$1ipqc$1@ID-98730.news.uni-berlin.de>, "DH"
    <xxxdaveoh@swbell.net(axe the x's)> wrote:

    > Paul and CaptBaldo, thank you for your most thorough replies.
    >
    > I am getting a single post beep. The agp cards that I have tried will not
    > power-on the monitor. Although I can't see the display, I suspect that it
    > is booting because of the sound of the hard drive access. I have tried
    > moving the agp card to a number of positions with no luck. I suspect that a
    > new motherboard is the answer.
    >
    > Thank again,
    >
    > Dave H.

    One last suggestion before you give up on it. Install the PCI video
    card again, then reflash the BIOS. Don't use 1007, as some people
    have had trouble with that. Try to identify the current revision
    of the BIOS, and get a copy of that revision to use for a reflash.

    The least risky way to flash, is with a DOS boot disk, as far as
    I'm concerned.

    Info used during boot time, is stored in two places in the computer.
    The CMOS RAM (inside the Southbridge), keeps settings recorded from
    the BIOS setup screens. (Doing the "Clear CMOS" procedure, with
    the computer unplugged, will clear this out.)

    There is also DMI, ESCD, and microcode cache, all of which are stored
    in the BIOS flash EEPROM. AFAIK, all of these bits of information
    are cached from boot process to boot process. There is a remote
    chance that if something in there is getting corrupted, or if
    the actual boot block or main code segments in the flash EEPROM
    are corrupted, that funny things will happen. (For example, say
    somehow that the address of the frame buffer on the video card
    is being offset - all the screen updates then won't appear on the
    screen, but the computer will still be booting.)

    So, try flashing the BIOS chip. In terms of the flashing process,
    the flashing program will refer to two portions of the BIOS.
    The boot block is one part and the rest of the device is the
    other part. The boot block is what makes "Crashfree" work,
    so if you don't flash the boot block, then in theory you can
    recover from a bad flash of the rest of the EEPROM. I would
    try a flash, without updating the boot block, to see if the
    symptoms improve. If they don't improve, you could try a second
    flash including updating the boot block, not that it is likely
    to help.

    In each case, enter the BIOS and select "Load Setup Defaults"
    in the Exit menu. This will ensure that the BIOS controls
    and the data structure in the CMOS RAM are aligned. After
    saving the default settings, you can power down and put in
    the AGP video card. (And anytime you add or remove hardware,
    it is good practice to unplug the line cord, as this guarantees
    that the power supply cannot source any power to the hardware.
    While switching the switch on the back of the computer is
    normally enough, at least one poster here had a computer keep
    running, even with the switch on the back in the OFF position.)
    When the computer is next powered up, the BIOS should refresh
    the now blanked DMI, ESCD, microcode segments etc.

    This is the last step before taking a hammer to the board :-)))
    Or RMAing under warranty.

    Paul

    "DH" <xxxdaveoh@swbell.net(axe the x's)> skrev i en meddelelse

    > I have tried
    > moving the agp card to a number of positions with no luck.

    How many AGP slots do you have? ;-)

    Couldn´t this be a wrong bios setting as well?

Asus Graphics Cards Motherboards