Epson R200/210 v R300/310

G'day all.

Anyone used the R200 (R210 down here in AU)? I've read a few reviews,
and they all say that the internals are identical to the R300/310, it's
just missing all the fruit (PICTbridge, print direct from cards, card
reader, USB2, etc) that I wouldn't use anyway. (I've got a USB2 card
reader that replaced my 3.5" FDD - very snazzy.)

Any opinions? I can save $100 if I buy the 210, and I don't appear to be
losing anything I don't need/want, so there doesn't seem to be any point
paying the extra. (I would if there was a reason, but I reckon I'd be
better putting the money towards ink & paper.)

Yes, I did google it, but I just want to check - the sources I found
weren't all that authoritative. (Usenet is, of course :)
--

cheers, Mic (Reply address works...)

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?

ME

I bought one the other day and the quality is excellent and suits my
needs (6x4 boarder less)

From Officeworks cost $220 but others have it at $194.

M i c C u l l e n wrote:
> G'day all.
>
> Anyone used the R200 (R210 down here in AU)? I've read a few reviews,
> and they all say that the internals are identical to the R300/310, it's
> just missing all the fruit (PICTbridge, print direct from cards, card
> reader, USB2, etc) that I wouldn't use anyway. (I've got a USB2 card
> reader that replaced my 3.5" FDD - very snazzy.)
>
> Any opinions? I can save $100 if I buy the 210, and I don't appear to be
> losing anything I don't need/want, so there doesn't seem to be any point
> paying the extra. (I would if there was a reason, but I reckon I'd be
> better putting the money towards ink & paper.)
>
> Yes, I did google it, but I just want to check - the sources I found
> weren't all that authoritative. (Usenet is, of course :)
> --
>
> cheers, Mic (Reply address works...)
>
> We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?

I think that if you check the specifications you'll find that the 200
does not do 8.5x11 borderless printing.

"dligda" <dligdaNO_SPAM@minn.net> wrote in message
> I think that if you check the specifications you'll find that the 200
> does not do 8.5x11 borderless printing.

Taken from Epson USA :: (could be different other places)

Maximum Printable Area

a.. Full bleed possible on 4" x 6", 5" x 7", 8" x 10", Letter, panoramic
8.3" x 23.4"
8.3" x 44" (8.3" x 128" using Windows 2000 or XP with certain
applications)

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:24:47 -0500, dligda <dligdaNO_SPAM@minn.net> wrote:

>I think that if you check the specifications you'll find that the 200
>does not do 8.5x11 borderless printing.

YES IT DOES..

>On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:54:08 +0800, M i c C u l l e n
><nospam@cross.com.au> wrote:
>
>>G'day all.
>>
>>Anyone used the R200 (R210 down here in AU)? I've read a few reviews,
>>and they all say that the internals are identical to the R300/310, it's
>>just missing all the fruit (PICTbridge, print direct from cards, card
>>reader, USB2, etc) that I wouldn't use anyway. (I've got a USB2 card
>>reader that replaced my 3.5" FDD - very snazzy.)
>>
>>Any opinions? I can save $100 if I buy the 210, and I don't appear to be
>>losing anything I don't need/want, so there doesn't seem to be any point
>>paying the extra. (I would if there was a reason, but I reckon I'd be
>>better putting the money towards ink & paper.)
>>
>>Yes, I did google it, but I just want to check - the sources I found
>>weren't all that authoritative. (Usenet is, of course :)

dligda <dligdaNO_SPAM@minn.net>, far, far away from here, appears to
have written:

[snips]

> I think that if you check the specifications you'll find that the 200
> does not do 8.5x11 borderless printing.

I'd checked them, and it didn't say anything about that - it (R200/R210)
does them fine.

To say I've been impressed so far would be a gross understatement

I started by printing some 4x6s, but figured that to get them to look
good wasn't that hard, it's the bigger ones that show the stuffups.
However, I bought some good A4 paper yesterday, and the results are
beyond belief. (I've only used Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper in it so
far.)

My wife is also astounded by how 'real' the prints are - I can see a
fair bit of printing being done for her scrapbooking :)

For the price, (US$99?), this printer is unbelievable.
--

cheers, Mic (Reply address works...)

The full man does not understand the wants of the hungry.
- Irish Proverb

ME

Mic

Where did you finally get yours from?

rm

M i c C u l l e n wrote:
> dligda <dligdaNO_SPAM@minn.net>, far, far away from here, appears to
> have written:
>
> [snips]
>

>>I think that if you check the specifications you'll find that the 200
>>does not do 8.5x11 borderless printing.
>

> I'd checked them, and it didn't say anything about that - it (R200/R210)
> does them fine.
>
> To say I've been impressed so far would be a gross understatement
>
> I started by printing some 4x6s, but figured that to get them to look
> good wasn't that hard, it's the bigger ones that show the stuffups.
> However, I bought some good A4 paper yesterday, and the results are
> beyond belief. (I've only used Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper in it so
> far.)
>
> My wife is also astounded by how 'real' the prints are - I can see a
> fair bit of printing being done for her scrapbooking :)
>
> For the price, (US$99?), this printer is unbelievable.
> --
>
> cheers, Mic (Reply address works...)
>
> The full man does not understand the wants of the hungry.
> - Irish Proverb

me <me@me.me>, far, far away from here, appears to have written:

[snips]

> Mic

> Where did you finally get yours from?

Harvey Norman, Morley - $239. Best price I could find in Perth. (And
finding stock wasn't easy, either.)
--

cheers, Mic (Reply address works...)

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

ME

M i c C u l l e n wrote:
> me <me@me.me>, far, far away from here, appears to have written:
>
> [snips]
>

>>Mic
>

>>Where did you finally get yours from?
>

> Harvey Norman, Morley - $239. Best price I could find in Perth. (And
> finding stock wasn't easy, either.)
> --
>
> cheers, Mic (Reply address works...)
>
> He who laughs last thinks slowest.

I think the RRP is $249 Its the inks that will skug you at $20 each -
so the printer actually cost $119 :)

I have just printed 140 CD's, which is a bit of a fiddle, but mine had
now paid for itself - in two weeks.

rm

M i c C u l l e n wrote:

> me <me@me.me>, far, far away from here, appears to have written:
>
> [snips]
>

>>Mic
>

>>Where did you finally get yours from?
>

> Harvey Norman, Morley - $239. Best price I could find in Perth. (And
> finding stock wasn't easy, either.)

I have been looking around for a 210 or 310 and best I found so far was
$212 for the 210 and $341 for the 310.

R210
http://www.minidigital.com.au/largerDesc.aspx?productid=48558&catid=160&brandid=5

R310
http://www.minidigital.com.au/largerDesc.aspx?productid=45972&catid=160&brandid=5

a.

ME

Cocoboy wrote:
> M i c C u l l e n wrote:
>
>> me <me@me.me>, far, far away from here, appears to have written:
>>
>> [snips]
>>

>>> Mic
>>

>>> Where did you finally get yours from?
>>

>> Harvey Norman, Morley - $239. Best price I could find in Perth. (And
>> finding stock wasn't easy, either.)
>

> I have been looking around for a 210 or 310 and best I found so far was
> $212 for the 210 and $341 for the 310.
>
> R210
> http://www.minidigital.com.au/largerDesc.aspx?productid=48558&catid=160&brandid=5
>

> R310
> http://www.minidigital.com.au/largerDesc.aspx?productid=45972&catid=160&brandid=5
>

> a.

http://www.msy.com.au

Had the R210 at $194. Most places said they wanted to make a profit and
$220 was there lowest.

me wrote:

> Cocoboy wrote:
>
>> M i c C u l l e n wrote:
>>
>>> me <me@me.me>, far, far away from here, appears to have written:
>>>
>>> [snips]

>>> Harvey Norman, Morley - $239. Best price I could find in Perth. (And
>>> finding stock wasn't easy, either.)
>>

>> I have been looking around for a 210 or 310 and best I found so far
>> was $212 for the 210 and $341 for the 310.
>>
>> R210
>> http://www.minidigital.com.au/largerDesc.aspx?productid=48558&catid=160&brandid=5
>>

>> R310
>> http://www.minidigital.com.au/largerDesc.aspx?productid=45972&catid=160&brandid=5
>>

>> a.
>

> http://www.msy.com.au
>
> Had the R210 at $194. Most places said they wanted to make a profit and
> $220 was there lowest.

I ended up getting it for $220 so I am happy.

The results are great.

I had some pics printed from CD at a photoshop and then printed some
again on the r210 and they look better than the shop prints! Even if
they do fade I can just reprint them several years down the track.

As for ink usage, I have printed about 40 photos and some full A4 size
and all on highest quality and the lowest ink cartridge is the pink one
which is down by 1/4. The others are only 1/8 used. I have nothing to
compare against but this seems pretty good to me.

a.

Hi Guys

I am interested in buying a printer that prints to CDs and have come
across Epson r200. What I am concerned about is smudging especially
as I use a CD wallet so the CD are constantly up against the wallet
material.
I have read a review of the r300 when the guy conducts all these
smudging tests but I just wanted to know how the r200 fares on
this.... Any experiences worth recounting?

Si

"MASTERMIAOW" <MASTERMIAOW@FASTMAIL.FM> wrote in message
> Hi Guys
>
> I am interested in buying a printer that prints to CDs and have come
> across Epson r200. What I am concerned about is smudging especially
> as I use a CD wallet so the CD are constantly up against the wallet
> material.
> I have read a review of the r300 when the guy conducts all these
> smudging tests but I just wanted to know how the r200 fares on
> this.... Any experiences worth recounting?

They use the same ink carts exactly - there's your answer.

Si.

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:57:48 +1000, Cocoboy <cocoboy@swiftdsl.com.au> wrote:

>me wrote:
>

>> Cocoboy wrote:

>>> I have been looking around for a 210 or 310 and best I found so far
>>> was $212 for the 210 and $341 for the 310.
>>>
>>> R210
>>> http://www.minidigital.com.au/largerDesc.aspx?productid=48558&catid=160&brandid=5
>>>

>>> R310
>>> http://www.minidigital.com.au/largerDesc.aspx?productid=45972&catid=160&brandid=5
>>>

>>> a.
>>

>> http://www.msy.com.au
>>
>> Had the R210 at $194. Most places said they wanted to make a profit and
>> $220 was there lowest.
>
>I ended up getting it for $220 so I am happy.
>
>The results are great.
>
>I had some pics printed from CD at a photoshop and then printed some
>again on the r210 and they look better than the shop prints! Even if
>they do fade I can just reprint them several years down the track.
>
>As for ink usage, I have printed about 40 photos and some full A4 size
>and all on highest quality and the lowest ink cartridge is the pink one
>which is down by 1/4. The others are only 1/8 used. I have nothing to
>compare against but this seems pretty good to me.
>
>a.

These are the Best Printers that Epson has made, kills the Canon for price and
specs..

I got mine here in NZ for $289nz.

They list for $299nz here..

ME

MASTERMIAOW wrote:

> Hi Guys
>
> I am interested in buying a printer that prints to CDs and have come
> across Epson r200. What I am concerned about is smudging especially
> as I use a CD wallet so the CD are constantly up against the wallet
> material.
> I have read a review of the r300 when the guy conducts all these
> smudging tests but I just wanted to know how the r200 fares on
> this.... Any experiences worth recounting?

I have now printed well over 300 CD's with my R210 thats all been on
Imation discs. These seem to have a textured surface which the ink soaks
into as opposed to a gloss surface.

Yes there not waterproof.

No I don't think sticking or smudging would occur.I have wet and rubbed
it with my finger and it does lift the ink slightly, but its difficult,
very little smudge.

Printing full colour sepia used about 3% of the light magenta, the main
drain cartridge, every 10 CD's printed. Monitored by the SSC utility.