attaching USB 2.0 device crashes the computer

Hi, whenever I try to attach a USB 2.0 device to my
computer (a Shuttle XPC SS51 with an Award
BIOS), it freezes. If I disable the Enhanced USB
controller, however, the USB 2 devices work fine (but at
USB 1.1 speeds). This happened shortly after updating
the USB enhanced drivers to .1243 (Windows Update
822603). When I roll back the drivers though, the
problem persists. Just wondering if the registry got
corrupted in the process. Short of reinstalling Windows,
is there any way to get USB 2.0 to work again?
I have also switched on and off support for USB Legacy
devices, no effect.

--Peter
1 answer Last reply
More about attaching device crashes computer

    Try deleting ALL the USB hubs, ports and devices with device
    manager. Also disconnect any external devices such as flash
    drives or hard drives. Then reboot and one set of drives
    should be installed. The reinstall your devices one at a
    time.

    "Peter" <chienp01.removethis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | Hi, whenever I try to attach a USB 2.0 device to my
    | computer (a Shuttle XPC SS51 with an Award
    | BIOS), it freezes. If I disable the Enhanced USB
    | controller, however, the USB 2 devices work fine (but at
    | USB 1.1 speeds). This happened shortly after updating
    | the USB enhanced drivers to .1243 (Windows Update
    | 822603). When I roll back the drivers though, the
    | problem persists. Just wondering if the registry got
    | corrupted in the process. Short of reinstalling Windows,
    | is there any way to get USB 2.0 to work again?
    | I have also switched on and off support for USB Legacy
    | devices, no effect.
    |
    | --Peter

Computers USB Devices Windows XP