Device Manager Problem... HAS STUMPED EVERYONE

I THINK I CAN STUMP ANY AND EVERYONE WITH THIS PROBLEM.
I've been posting this problem all week at all places and
no one knows what the problem might be. Please try to
prove me wrong!
My Device Manager Shows No Devices?

To combat the ever increasing attacks on my computer by
all types of viruses and trojans, I recently (04/30)
installed Panda Antivirus Protection, Ad-Aware 6.0, Spy
Sweeper, and Evidence Eliminator on my Windows XP
Professional platform to fix the problems they were
creating.

For the next couple of days everything worked just fine.
I printed some documents and all was good. Then, I came
home and logged on to my computer and the Panda software
said "A Port Intrusion was Blocked" and that it was
combating the intrusion.

I didn't really think much of it until I tried to print
something a couple of hours later. When I checked the
printer properties, it showed the printer was offline.
When I tried to switch it to work online, it said that
the operation couldn't be completed. Then I checked the
Device Manager and the panel opens, but there aren't any
devices listed... it's just a blank panel. Not the white
panels you get when something locks up and there are
redraw issues; the panel responds perfectly (meaning when
you hit the "X" button to close it, it does so
immediately) as though there was nothing wrong. Even if I
change the view to "View by Connection" or "View by
Resources" it still shows nothing.

Since then I also noticed that my devices don't seem to
work right. My CD-RW doesn't work (it can read discs but
says to insert a blank CD-R in the drive to record,
despite trying 20 different blank CD-R's) and my Zip 250
USB wasn't working for the first couple of days but has
mysteriously started working today (05/04). Also, I
tried to adjust the screen display
color/brightness/contrast/etc. (which is a tweaking
property of my video card adapter) by clicking on the
properties tab and nothing happens.

I know this is a long post, but I've searched on the
internet for a week now and I can't find anything even
close to this problem. ALL HELP APPRECIATED!!!!!

Thanks.

Installing all those programs on one day makes it harder to
troubleshoot the problem.

Ad-Aware shouldn't cause the problem, but the others
certainly could depending on just how they are installed.
Panda should be OK, but I would suspect Evidence Eliminator
as #1 culprit.

Why not do a system restore to 4/29 and see what happens.
If it works as intended, do a new system restore point.
Then install the software one at a time and run it a day or
two to see if it is stable.

You might also run sfc /scannow .

Some programs block access to the control panel, Internet
Options and perhaps Device Manager to prevent a hostile
program from hijacking the computer. Perhaps your Panda
Suite does this or one of the other programs you installed,
you should read their program help files, FAQs and see their
settings.

"dryan1976" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:85cc01c43251$2d6378d0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
| I THINK I CAN STUMP ANY AND EVERYONE WITH THIS PROBLEM.
| I've been posting this problem all week at all places and
| no one knows what the problem might be. Please try to
| prove me wrong!
| ----------------------------------------------------------
| My Device Manager Shows No Devices?
|
| To combat the ever increasing attacks on my computer by
| all types of viruses and trojans, I recently (04/30)
| installed Panda Antivirus Protection, Ad-Aware 6.0, Spy
| Sweeper, and Evidence Eliminator on my Windows XP
| Professional platform to fix the problems they were
| creating.
|
| For the next couple of days everything worked just fine.
| I printed some documents and all was good. Then, I came
| home and logged on to my computer and the Panda software
| said "A Port Intrusion was Blocked" and that it was
| combating the intrusion.
|
| I didn't really think much of it until I tried to print
| something a couple of hours later. When I checked the
| printer properties, it showed the printer was offline.
| When I tried to switch it to work online, it said that
| the operation couldn't be completed. Then I checked the
| Device Manager and the panel opens, but there aren't any
| devices listed... it's just a blank panel. Not the white
| panels you get when something locks up and there are
| redraw issues; the panel responds perfectly (meaning when
| you hit the "X" button to close it, it does so
| immediately) as though there was nothing wrong. Even if I
| change the view to "View by Connection" or "View by
| Resources" it still shows nothing.
|
| Since then I also noticed that my devices don't seem to
| work right. My CD-RW doesn't work (it can read discs but
| says to insert a blank CD-R in the drive to record,
| despite trying 20 different blank CD-R's) and my Zip 250
| USB wasn't working for the first couple of days but has
| mysteriously started working today (05/04). Also, I
| tried to adjust the screen display
| color/brightness/contrast/etc. (which is a tweaking
| property of my video card adapter) by clicking on the
| properties tab and nothing happens.
|
| I know this is a long post, but I've searched on the
| internet for a week now and I can't find anything even
| close to this problem. ALL HELP APPRECIATED!!!!!
|
| Thanks.

Hi,
I just had a problem I could not solve on my own.
I asked for support from Microsoft and within less then 24 hours they e-mailed a procedure which
solved my problem (XP was not recognizing my cd writer).
To get the support go to START>CONTROL PANEL>HELP AND SUPPORT CENTRE>
GET SUPPORT>GET HELP FROM MICROSOFT
You will have to get .net passport to get this help. Prompts will direct you.
Best of luck, Adam

TRENDING THREADS