P4R800-V deluxe ram question

Can anyone tell me what ram to avoid? The list on usable ram sticks on the
Asus is less then helpful. I have been seeing some real horror stories about
the board on the net which is really making me second guess my choice.

I'm looking to run the board with DDR-400 ram 512 megs x 2, *no
overclocking* so I have no use for expensive high end ram that will never be
overclocked.

Thanks for your help.

Gary

(the reason the board was chosen was so I have the 9100 video to use while
waiting for ATI card prices to drop and Doom3/HL2 to be released)

Well Gary, for one thing you can't run 2x512 DDR400 on this board...due to
the fact that this board will only accept single sided ram. What does that
mean...you can only buy 256 single sided DDR400. I found out the hard way.
If you are using DDR400 you can only populate 2 of the four slots (that's
3200 DDR400 I'm guessing your talking about)? I had to put 2700 in mine so I
could buy 2x512meg.

Had many memory issues with this board. Think it may have something to do
with the shared onboard video???

Lots of write to disk errors aswell. Bought new WD 8meg buff Hardrive but
still getting errors???

Also...Bios is almost none existent. No options to change anything at
all...I MEAN NOT ANYTHING, so if you were planning on overclocking, your
wasting your time with it.

I would have to say never recommend this board to a friend.

Honestly...the make of the ram shouldn't have any effect on the system, but,
there is a fast CAS memory chip you can purchase which is significantly more
expensive than the standard DDR400. I don't think it would make that much
dif in this board. The first Bios they came out with had a setting for
fast/slow CAS, but all the updates have removed this option...must detect on
it's own???

Probably not what you want to hear but hope it helps

HOLPET

"Gary at SBC" <nospam@my_email.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me what ram to avoid? The list on usable ram sticks on the
> Asus is less then helpful. I have been seeing some real horror stories
about
> the board on the net which is really making me second guess my choice.
>
> I'm looking to run the board with DDR-400 ram 512 megs x 2, *no
> overclocking* so I have no use for expensive high end ram that will never
be
> overclocked.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Gary
>
> (the reason the board was chosen was so I have the 9100 video to use while
> waiting for ATI card prices to drop and Doom3/HL2 to be released)

> Well Gary, for one thing you can't run 2x512 DDR400 on this board...due to
> the fact that this board will only accept single sided ram.

Asus website lists several double sided ram modules 2 x 512 DDR400 that will
work.

> Also...Bios is almost none existent. No options to change anything at
> all...I MEAN NOT ANYTHING, so if you were planning on overclocking, your
> wasting your time with it.

Please review my post, I was very clear I had zero interest in overclocking
the board.