Change of Mother board and Processor

a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2004 2:32:34 AM

I have an original OEM Windows XP home bought from the
dealer. I want to upgrade the motherboard and processor.
Do I need to re install Windows Xp home or I can transfer
my Hard disks to the new Mother board?
Can I replace the motherboard & processor with OEM Windows
Xp?
Thanks
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2004 4:46:12 AM

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"APS Bhandari" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

|I have an original OEM Windows XP home bought from the
| dealer. I want to upgrade the motherboard and processor.
| Do I need to re install Windows Xp home or I can transfer
| my Hard disks to the new Mother board?
| Can I replace the motherboard & processor with OEM Windows
| Xp?
| Thanks
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2004 4:47:07 AM

Did the OEM come with the computer?
If so you most likely will not be able to upgrade to a motherboard
from a different manufacturer.
Contact the manufacturer for details.

If you bought Windows XP OEM separately or with a piece of hardware, a
Repair Installation is usually required to properly detect the new
hardware:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"APS Bhandari" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an original OEM Windows XP home bought from the
> dealer. I want to upgrade the motherboard and processor.
> Do I need to re install Windows Xp home or I can transfer
> my Hard disks to the new Mother board?
> Can I replace the motherboard & processor with OEM Windows
> Xp?
> Thanks
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 6, 2004 1:01:16 AM

Greetings --

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM licenses are not
transferable to a new motherboard), unless your motherboard is
virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS
version, etc.) to the one on which the other WinXP installation was
originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
upgrade) installation, at the very least:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q315341

important data before starting.

This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm