Change of Mother board and Processor

I have an original OEM Windows XP home bought from the
dealer. I want to upgrade the motherboard and processor.
Do I need to re install Windows Xp home or I can transfer
my Hard disks to the new Mother board?
Can I replace the motherboard & processor with OEM Windows
Xp?
Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about change mother board processor

    Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "APS Bhandari" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

    |I have an original OEM Windows XP home bought from the
    | dealer. I want to upgrade the motherboard and processor.
    | Do I need to re install Windows Xp home or I can transfer
    | my Hard disks to the new Mother board?
    | Can I replace the motherboard & processor with OEM Windows
    | Xp?
    | Thanks

    Did the OEM come with the computer?
    If so you most likely will not be able to upgrade to a motherboard
    from a different manufacturer.
    Contact the manufacturer for details.

    If you bought Windows XP OEM separately or with a piece of hardware, a
    Repair Installation is usually required to properly detect the new
    hardware:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "APS Bhandari" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have an original OEM Windows XP home bought from the
    > dealer. I want to upgrade the motherboard and processor.
    > Do I need to re install Windows Xp home or I can transfer
    > my Hard disks to the new Mother board?
    > Can I replace the motherboard & processor with OEM Windows
    > Xp?
    > Thanks

    Greetings --

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM licenses are not
    transferable to a new motherboard), unless your motherboard is
    virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS
    version, etc.) to the one on which the other WinXP installation was
    originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
    upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    important data before starting.

    This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
    Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
    days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    "APS Bhandari" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have an original OEM Windows XP home bought from the
    > dealer. I want to upgrade the motherboard and processor.
    > Do I need to re install Windows Xp home or I can transfer
    > my Hard disks to the new Mother board?
    > Can I replace the motherboard & processor with OEM Windows
    > Xp?
    > Thanks

Motherboards Processors OEM Windows XP