Can't get to files on other computer?

Hi,

I have XP PRO on both my laptop and desktop. I seem to connect to my
desktop fine but I am not able to access files on the other computer from
either computer. I get this message saying I might not have permission to
use this network resource and to contact the administrator. Both computers
have the some the same workgroup name but when I look into that workgroup I
only see the computer I am on and not the other. Despite this I am able to
get onto the internet from my laptop through the desktop using a proxy server.

I have setup the same account name and password for both computers.
Security is disabled and I have set access and drives to be accessed by other
computers. This is a security nightmare but I have done this in order to
eliminate security issues from being the problem.

I have been doing searches on the internet and bought a book on wireless
networking and applied everything that I read but to no avail. Does anyone
have any ideas?

--
Thank you,

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 19:53:01 -0800, "Wydo" <Wydo@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have XP PRO on both my laptop and desktop. I seem to connect to my
>desktop fine but I am not able to access files on the other computer from
>either computer. I get this message saying I might not have permission to
>use this network resource and to contact the administrator. Both computers
>have the some the same workgroup name but when I look into that workgroup I
>only see the computer I am on and not the other. Despite this I am able to
>get onto the internet from my laptop through the desktop using a proxy server.
>
>I have setup the same account name and password for both computers.
>Security is disabled and I have set access and drives to be accessed by other
>computers. This is a security nightmare but I have done this in order to
>eliminate security issues from being the problem.
>
>I have been doing searches on the internet and bought a book on wireless
>networking and applied everything that I read but to no avail. Does anyone
>have any ideas?

What proxy server are you sing to share internet service?

This sounds like a browser (no I'm not talking about Internet Explorer) problem.

Make sure the browser service is running on the desktop computer. Control Panel
- Administrative Tools - Services. Verify that the Computer Browser, and the
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper, services both show with Status = Started. Disable the
browser on the laptop. Power both computers off. Power the desktop up, then
the laptop.

The Microsoft Browstat program will show us what browsers you have in your
domain / workgroup, at any time.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188305

You can download Browstat from either:
<http://www.dynawell.com/reskit/microsoft/win2000/browstat.zip>
<http://rescomp.stanford.edu/staff/manual/rcc/tools/browstat.zip>

Browstat is very small (40K), and needs no install. Just unzip the downloaded
file, copy browstat.exe to any folder in the Path, and run it from a command
window, by "browstat status". Make sure all computers give the same result.

For more information about the browser subsystem (very intricate), see:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188001
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188305
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winntas/deploy/prodspecs/ntbrowse.mspx>

Also, look at registry key [HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa], value
restrictanonymous.
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/regentry/46688.asp>
<http://www.jsifaq.com/subf/tip2600/rh2625.htm>
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=246261
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=296403

The above articles refer to Windows 2000. Remember WinXP is NT V5.1, and Win2K
is NT V5.0.

Have you used the Registry Editor before? If not, it's a scary tool, but it's
pretty simple once you get used to it. Here are a couple articles that might
help:
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/tools_regeditors.asp>
<http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/registry>

Just remember to backup the key (create a registry patch) for
[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa] before making any changes, if
appropriate.

From the Annoyances article:
You can create a Registry patch by opening the Registry Editor, selecting a
branch, and choosing Export from the File menu. Then, specify a filename, and
press OK. You can then view the Registry patch file by opening it in Notepad
(right-click on it and select Edit). Again, just double-click on a Registry
patch file (or use Import in the Registry Editor's File menu) to apply it to the
registry.

If this doesn't help, provide ipconfig information for each computer, and we'll
diagnose the problem.
Start - Run - "cmd". Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" into the command
window - Open c:\ipconfig.txt in Notepad, make sure that Format - Word Wrap is
NOT checked!, copy and paste entire contents into your next post. Identify
operating system (by name, version, and SP level) with each ipconfig listing.

--
Cheers,
Chuck

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Sharing Hi

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Wydo" <Wydo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have XP PRO on both my laptop and desktop. I seem to connect to my
> desktop fine but I am not able to access files on the other computer from
> either computer. I get this message saying I might not have permission to
> use this network resource and to contact the administrator. Both
computers
> have the some the same workgroup name but when I look into that workgroup
> only see the computer I am on and not the other. Despite this I am able
> get onto the internet from my laptop through the desktop using a proxy
server.

> I have setup the same account name and password for both computers.
> Security is disabled and I have set access and drives to be accessed by
other
> computers. This is a security nightmare but I have done this in order to
> eliminate security issues from being the problem.
>
> I have been doing searches on the internet and bought a book on wireless
> networking and applied everything that I read but to no avail. Does
anyone
> have any ideas?
>
> --
> Thank you,

Hi,
I use 1st Up Netserver.

I did resolve the problem by changing the name of my workgroup. I was
looking at one of the other posts like mine and someone replyed with this
link.
http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm
I ran all the checks with no luck until I got to the name changing thing. I
don't know how that had anything to do with it but it worked. Thanks for the
help.

"Chuck" wrote:

> [...]
> press OK. You can then view the Registry patch file by opening it in Notepad
> (right-click on it and select Edit). Again, just double-click on a Registry
> patch file (or use Import in the Registry Editor's File menu) to apply it to the
> registry.
>
> If this doesn't help, provide ipconfig information for each computer, and we'll
> diagnose the problem.
> Start - Run - "cmd". Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" into the command
> window - Open c:\ipconfig.txt in Notepad, make sure that Format - Word Wrap is
> NOT checked!, copy and paste entire contents into your next post. Identify
> operating system (by name, version, and SP level) with each ipconfig listing.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Hey there
I am so new at the wirless arena so I was hoping to get a little help. I
have a regular computer with windows XP and a wireless laptop all under the
same network. Two problems: 1. How can I type a Word document on my laptop
and later retrieve it from my regular computer? 2. How do I set up my
wireless laptop to print documents to the printer that is connected to the
regular computer? Remember I am new at this so be gentle with the
instructions < :Thanks for any input you may have.
Barbara