ASUS Support

I am considering buying a ASUS MoBo. One of my considerations is the
quality of the support (or lack of) given by the company. How is the support
by ASUS?

Billh

"jime" <jimeiffe@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I am considering buying a ASUS MoBo. One of my considerations is the
> quality of the support (or lack of) given by the company. How is the
support
> by ASUS?

If you search around you will find comments about less than ideal
satisfaction when dealing directly with ASUS. However, their products are
good and there is a lot of expertise on NGs such as this that can give you
support. Also there boards are popular so you don't have to be worried about
being a rare user of a specific board. I believe ASUS does not claim to
offer first-line support directly to the end-user. Such support is intended
to be provided by the dealer. This being the case, I consider where I buy
the board and consider a good relationship with a local computer store to be
worth much more than the few bucks I would save buying elsewhere.

Billh

Paul

Splendid

In article <y8udnb71M4tpLQbdRVn-ug@comcast.com>, "jime"
<jimeiffe@comcast.net> wrote:

> I am considering buying a ASUS MoBo. One of my considerations is the
> quality of the support (or lack of) given by the company. How is the support
> by ASUS?

Consider the magnitude of the problem. The last time I looked at
the Asus info page, it said they have 5000 employees, and most
of those will be manufacturing boards every day. They ship
2,000,000 boards a month. From that ratio, I think you can see
it would be pretty difficult to help 2 million people every month.
(Your vendor could help you, but then it would be best to buy
local, so you can drag the machine in for them to examine.)

If you visit the contact page for Asus, there are long distance
numbers (not toll free!). You can phone to talk to a tech support
person, and some people have had great help from these people
(tech stays on the line for an hour or more, to try to help them).
If the support devolves to email exchange, then you will tend to
get boiler-plate responses (every email starts with "reinstall
the OS" etc).

There is the user manual, the FAQ web page (poor and spotty info
- Asus are more honest over the phone than on a webpage and will
admit to more of their problems and screwups by phone), the private
forums (abxzone.com, amdmb.com, nforcershq.com and many more), and
this news group. Expect to get most of your help from the end users,
no matter what the brand. Maybe Supermicro would give you a better
support experience than the others, but then you are paying a small
fortune for a server motherboard.

We do this stuff for fun. If I didn't have time for this, I can
purchase the product I want at a local shop, and they will assemble
my custom order and test it, for little more than the cost of the
parts. They take care of the dud gear. In terms of just getting a
computer in your hands, it is frequently cheaper to buy a
"beige box" at your local department store - but you'll likely
get an SIS chipset :)

HTH,
Paul

I found them great in the UK even considering that the UK branch is
dedicated to laptops and not anything else..
I found that MSI dont allow warranty returns from the UK...

The MSI office I contacted in the USA said they would help, but the
managment names that I spoke to that were going to help me resolve the issue
never worked in MSI (they just dissapear'd)..
Anyhow.. Everyone has their own story, and I guess depending on the problem
then you might get better or worse support than others..

Usually a faulty board goes back to where you bought it, they give you a
replacement (or ask you to wait) and the only time you deal with the MFGR
direct is when you want technical info (or you get a warranty longer than 12
months)

"jime" <jimeiffe@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I am considering buying a ASUS MoBo. One of my considerations is the
> quality of the support (or lack of) given by the company. How is the
support
> by ASUS?

qrk

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

On Fri, 7 May 2004 11:53:15 -0400, "jime" <jimeiffe@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I am considering buying a ASUS MoBo. One of my considerations is the
>quality of the support (or lack of) given by the company. How is the support
>by ASUS?

Your first, perhaps only, line of support is the vendor. Don't buy
from a computer show or from the car trunk of your local roving
salesman! Local or a good mail order joint is advisable. Asus won't
deal with us wee folk directly. However, I have had prompt responses
on carefully worded questions and problems on their server products.
I've had good service by Asus with our local dealer acting as the
go-between (less than 1 week to get a SCSI backplane controller
reflashed). The local dealer was very helpful. Of course, our local
dealer does get lots of business from us which helps when we have
problems.

Mark

The boards are the best of the available vendors. But their support is
terrible.

--
DaveW

"jime" <jimeiffe@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I am considering buying a ASUS MoBo. One of my considerations is the
> quality of the support (or lack of) given by the company. How is the
support
> by ASUS?

"jime" <jimeiffe@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I am considering buying a ASUS MoBo. One of my considerations is the
> quality of the support (or lack of) given by the company. How is the
support
> by ASUS?

In general, when you have problem, the vendor will be the first place to
ask.
Or you can come to this newsgroup, or to www.abxzone.com or similar forum
for questions.

Asus seldom replies directly; though you may order BIOS chips from them.
When you need to return the board, better go through the vendor where you
bought.

>>or to www.abxzone.com or similar forum for questions.<<

Where, exactly, -is- the forum on this site?

--Michael

"no_tolerance" <fulleye@silence.com> wrote in message news:c7gcgq$ava$1@newsflood.tokyo.att.ne.jp...

> "jime" <jimeiffe@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I am considering buying a ASUS MoBo. One of my considerations is the
> > quality of the support (or lack of) given by the company. How is the
> support
> > by ASUS?
> >

> In general, when you have problem, the vendor will be the first place to
> ask.
> Or you can come to this newsgroup, or to www.abxzone.com or similar forum
> for questions.
>
> Asus seldom replies directly; though you may order BIOS chips from them.
> When you need to return the board, better go through the vendor where you
> bought.

Paul

Splendid

In article <109og13sgqlpc3@corp.supernews.com>, "Michael Painter"
<tvhawaii@SPAMshaka.com> wrote:

> >>or to www.abxzone.com or similar forum for questions.<<
>
> Where, exactly, -is- the forum on this site?
>
> --Michael

I'm wondering exactly the same thing right now. Something is
up with DNS. At first, I thought my local DNS server was
screwy, but I tried a nslookup on another web site, and
it returned the same IP address I was getting. What you
are seeing for "www.abxzone.com" is not normal right now.

Paul

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message news:nospam-0805040226480001@192.168.1.177...

> > Where, exactly, -is- the forum on this site?
> >
> > --Michael
>
> I'm wondering exactly the same thing right now. Something is
> up with DNS. At first, I thought my local DNS server was
> screwy, but I tried a nslookup on another web site, and
> it returned the same IP address I was getting. What you
> are seeing for "www.abxzone.com" is not normal right now.
>
> Paul

Thanks...I'll give it a try again tomorrow.

--Michael

Paul

Splendid

In article <109pbd7du89u596@corp.supernews.com>, "Michael Painter"
<tvhawaii@SPAMshaka.com> wrote:

> > > Where, exactly, -is- the forum on this site?
> > >
> > > --Michael
> >
> > I'm wondering exactly the same thing right now. Something is
> > up with DNS. At first, I thought my local DNS server was
> > screwy, but I tried a nslookup on another web site, and
> > it returned the same IP address I was getting. What you
> > are seeing for "www.abxzone.com" is not normal right now.
> >
> > Paul
>
> Thanks...I'll give it a try again tomorrow.
>
> --Michael

It is a "non real time upgrade". Tried the link just now and got:

"ABXZone.com is undergoing changes. Due to the reindexing
taking much longer than planned, we will not be back up late
Saturday evening (EST time). Sorry for the unavoidable delay."

Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <nospam-0805042155360001@192.168.1.177>, nospam@needed.com
(Paul) wrote:

> In article <109pbd7du89u596@corp.supernews.com>, "Michael Painter"
> <tvhawaii@SPAMshaka.com> wrote:
>
> > "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message

> > > I'm wondering exactly the same thing right now. Something is
> > > up with DNS. At first, I thought my local DNS server was
> > > screwy, but I tried a nslookup on another web site, and
> > > it returned the same IP address I was getting. What you
> > > are seeing for "www.abxzone.com" is not normal right now.
> > >
> > > Paul
> >
> > Thanks...I'll give it a try again tomorrow.
> >
> > --Michael
>
> It is a "non real time upgrade". Tried the link just now and got:
>
> "ABXZone.com is undergoing changes. Due to the reindexing
> taking much longer than planned, we will not be back up late
> Saturday evening (EST time). Sorry for the unavoidable delay."
>
> Paul

Abxzone.com is back up. I guess for today, it took some time
for DNS to clear up. The current IP address is 205.177.13.179

Paul

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message news:nospam-1005040327210001@192.168.1.177...
> In article <nospam-0805042155360001@192.168.1.177>, nospam@needed.com
> (Paul) wrote:
>
> > In article <109pbd7du89u596@corp.supernews.com>, "Michael Painter"
> > <tvhawaii@SPAMshaka.com> wrote:
> >
> > > "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message

> > > Thanks...I'll give it a try again tomorrow.
> > >
> > > --Michael
> >
> > It is a "non real time upgrade". Tried the link just now and got:
> >
> > "ABXZone.com is undergoing changes. Due to the reindexing
> > taking much longer than planned, we will not be back up late
> > Saturday evening (EST time). Sorry for the unavoidable delay."
> >
> > Paul
>
> Abxzone.com is back up. I guess for today, it took some time
> for DNS to clear up. The current IP address is 205.177.13.179
>
> Paul

Thanks Paul
I've already posted the question about why the bios screen stays up so long...hopefully someone over there will have an answer.

--Michael

Pretty bad in my experience.

I wont be buying another ASUS motherboard.