Medium-Well Hard Drive

Asus P4PE BIOS 1007
P4 2.8
1GIG Ram
ATI AIW 9000 Pro
Western Digital 120gig w/8MB Cache, Seagate Barracuda 80gig
WinXP HE SP2 (yes, the beta update), Norton AV, Spybot S&D

Does anyone know what could wind my hard drives up so much, that it is too
hot to touch? I do not "hey that is pretty warm", I am talking "MY GOD, IT'S
SO HOT I THINK I LEFT THE SKIN OF MY FINGERS STUCK TO IT!"

It started out as intermittent mouse problems, then lockups, but no reboots.
But I was starting to receive messages during post of hard drive failure, no
operating system found, or can not access master boot record. The message
was different almost every boot. I Thought I was infected with a virus or
something. Also, the motherboard decided to try and boot from the Intel NIC
for no apparent reason, as it is not selected as a boot devise in the BIOS.
When I was able to load XP, I ran the NAV, nothing. Spybot, nothing. I even
went to a couple online virus-scanners and nothing was found. so I decided
to completely wipe the system and start a fresh.

XP would do the complete install, but on the last reboot, I would receive
the same errors again. So I booted with a 98 boot disk, and tried to
fdisk/mbr. Thought maybe something nasty had got onto the master boot
record....but fdisk would post a message that the mbr was NOT updated. I
could partition, delete partitions, but could not do anything to the mbr.

So I decided to pull the entire machine apart, and when I went to touch the
hard drives they were so hot, it was unbelievable. I let them cool (took
about an hour) and when I took them out, the black plastic on the underside
of the WD was a little scorched. I can not tell with the Seagate, as it has
a fancy chrome cover on the bottom of it.

I went out and purchased a hard drive cooler for the WD (the type that
attaches to the bottom of the HD), and another fan for the front of the
case. A round IDE cable for better air flow. I re-hooked up the WD and
booted the 98 boot disk floppy. Fdisked the MBR successfully, and
reinstalled WinXP with SP1.

Everything so far is working, but I do not believe my Western Digital HD is
not long for this world......I have run some tests on it, and it passes them
all. I even defragged it a couple times to see if it would get warm again,
but it is staying pretty cool to the touch now.

Anyone know what may have caused the drives to get so unbelievably hot in
the first place?

Sorry for the ramble :)

Jim
25 answers Last reply
More about medium well hard drive

    On Sat, 08 May 2004 04:51:37 GMT, "Jim in Canada" <warnerjim_60@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Asus P4PE BIOS 1007
    >P4 2.8
    >1GIG Ram
    >ATI AIW 9000 Pro
    >Western Digital 120gig w/8MB Cache, Seagate Barracuda 80gig
    >WinXP HE SP2 (yes, the beta update), Norton AV, Spybot S&D
    >
    >Does anyone know what could wind my hard drives up so much, that it is too
    >hot to touch? I do not "hey that is pretty warm", I am talking "MY GOD, IT'S
    >SO HOT I THINK I LEFT THE SKIN OF MY FINGERS STUCK TO IT!"
    >
    >It started out as intermittent mouse problems, then lockups, but no reboots.
    >But I was starting to receive messages during post of hard drive failure, no
    >operating system found, or can not access master boot record. The message
    >was different almost every boot. I Thought I was infected with a virus or
    >something. Also, the motherboard decided to try and boot from the Intel NIC
    >for no apparent reason, as it is not selected as a boot devise in the BIOS.
    >When I was able to load XP, I ran the NAV, nothing. Spybot, nothing. I even
    >went to a couple online virus-scanners and nothing was found. so I decided
    >to completely wipe the system and start a fresh.
    >
    >XP would do the complete install, but on the last reboot, I would receive
    >the same errors again. So I booted with a 98 boot disk, and tried to
    >fdisk/mbr. Thought maybe something nasty had got onto the master boot
    >record....but fdisk would post a message that the mbr was NOT updated. I
    >could partition, delete partitions, but could not do anything to the mbr.
    >
    >So I decided to pull the entire machine apart, and when I went to touch the
    >hard drives they were so hot, it was unbelievable. I let them cool (took
    >about an hour) and when I took them out, the black plastic on the underside
    >of the WD was a little scorched. I can not tell with the Seagate, as it has
    >a fancy chrome cover on the bottom of it.
    >
    >I went out and purchased a hard drive cooler for the WD (the type that
    >attaches to the bottom of the HD), and another fan for the front of the
    >case. A round IDE cable for better air flow. I re-hooked up the WD and
    >booted the 98 boot disk floppy. Fdisked the MBR successfully, and
    >reinstalled WinXP with SP1.
    >
    >Everything so far is working, but I do not believe my Western Digital HD is
    >not long for this world......I have run some tests on it, and it passes them
    >all. I even defragged it a couple times to see if it would get warm again,
    >but it is staying pretty cool to the touch now.
    >
    >Anyone know what may have caused the drives to get so unbelievably hot in
    >the first place?
    >
    >Sorry for the ramble :)
    >
    >Jim

    It's pretty friggin' obvious what the problem was...

    /daytripper

    "daytripper" <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > >attaches to the bottom of the HD), and another fan for the front of the
    > >case. A round IDE cable for better air flow. I re-hooked up the WD and
    > >booted the 98 boot disk floppy. Fdisked the MBR successfully, and
    > >reinstalled WinXP with SP1.
    > >
    > >Everything so far is working, but I do not believe my Western Digital HD
    is
    > >not long for this world......I have run some tests on it, and it passes
    them
    > >all. I even defragged it a couple times to see if it would get warm
    again,
    > >but it is staying pretty cool to the touch now.
    > >
    > >Anyone know what may have caused the drives to get so unbelievably hot in
    > >the first place?
    > >
    > >Sorry for the ramble :)
    > >
    > >Jim
    >
    > It's pretty friggin' obvious what the problem was...

    If you are referring to one and only piece of beta software installed on the
    system, it had been on there for about a month with no problems (except the
    mediaplayer wmv and wma file buggy) But if that is a known problem with SP2,
    please let me know :)

    Have a nice day.
    Jim

    In article <is_mc.411127$Ig.286684@pd7tw2no>, warnerjim_60
    @hotmail.com says...
    <snip>
    <>
    <
    <If you are referring to one and only piece of beta software installed on the
    <system, it had been on there for about a month with no problems (except the
    <mediaplayer wmv and wma file buggy) But if that is a known problem with SP2,
    <please let me know :)
    <
    <Have a nice day.
    <Jim
    <
    <
    <
    <

    No, it's that you had no cooling around your hard drives.

    Bill

    Jim, go to WesternDigitals home page and download there diagnostic
    software...it's free.

    Holpet
    "Jim in Canada" <warnerjim_60@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > >not long for this world......I have run some tests on it, and it passes
    > them
    > > >all. I even defragged it a couple times to see if it would get warm
    > again,
    > > >but it is staying pretty cool to the touch now.
    > > >
    > > >Anyone know what may have caused the drives to get so unbelievably hot
    in
    > > >the first place?
    > > >
    > > >Sorry for the ramble :)
    > > >
    > > >Jim
    > >
    > > It's pretty friggin' obvious what the problem was...
    > >
    > > /daytripper
    >
    > If you are referring to one and only piece of beta software installed on
    the
    > system, it had been on there for about a month with no problems (except
    the
    > mediaplayer wmv and wma file buggy) But if that is a known problem with

    Jim in Canada
    > I went out and purchased a hard drive cooler for the WD (the
    > type that attaches to the bottom of the HD), and another fan
    >for the front of the case.

    So, it was the WD that was running hot? Were they both stacked
    with no space in between? Here is a link which shows some HDD
    temperatures for comparison. Select the correct item, of course...
    http://storagereview.com/php/benchmark/bench_sort.php
    If you find that there is something abnormal, WD is good about
    replacing them...

    "bill" <spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> wrote in message
    > In article <is_mc.411127$Ig.286684@pd7tw2no>, warnerjim_60
    > @hotmail.com says...
    > <snip>
    > <>
    > <> It's pretty friggin' obvious what the problem was...
    > <>
    > <> /daytripper
    > <
    > <If you are referring to one and only piece of beta software installed on
    the
    > <system, it had been on there for about a month with no problems (except
    the
    > <mediaplayer wmv and wma file buggy) But if that is a known problem with
    SP2,
    > <please let me know :)
    > <
    > <Have a nice day.
    > <Jim
    > <

    > No, it's that you had no cooling around your hard drives.
    >
    > Bill

    The case does have a fan drawing air out of the box directly behind the hard
    drives....I have built a total of 7 machines ranging from 5 x PIII's to 2 x
    P4's and I have never before had to install direct cooling for hard drives.
    I am posting from a P4B266 system which is on 24/7 and the drives have no
    direct cooling and are fine. Warm, but no where near as hot as the P4PE
    system was. . . . I guess hard drive direct cooling will be a feature I will
    add from now on to be on the safe side. $24CDN is not that much to pay to
    keep a person's data from cooking.

    Thanks guys.
    Jim

    In article <Wa7nc.414818$Ig.241991@pd7tw2no>, warnerjim_60
    @hotmail.com says...
    <snip>
    <
[...]

    Well, I don't remember your mentioning case particulars, but hard
    drives have gotten hotter since they increased the speeds to 7200
    rpm+ and started encasing them with sound dampening materials.

    Good air flow around your drives is a must, whether it's from
    direct cooling or good case layout, if your going to get any
    longevity out of them.

    I've got 6 hard drives in this machine and they'd run very hot
    packed close together if I didn't have 80 mm fans blowing air
    through the hard drive cages and round cables at the rear to
    decrease the impedance to air flow. My case is an Antec SX1040.

    Bill

    On Sat, 08 May 2004 05:43:42 GMT, "Jim in Canada" <warnerjim_60@hotmail.com>
    wrote:
    >"daytripper" <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 08 May 2004 04:51:37 GMT, "Jim in Canada"
    ><warnerjim_60@hotmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> It's pretty friggin' obvious what the problem was...
    >>
    >> /daytripper
    >
    >If you are referring to one and only piece of beta software installed on the
    >system, it had been on there for about a month with no problems (except the
    >mediaplayer wmv and wma file buggy) But if that is a known problem with SP2,
    >please let me know :)
    >
    >Have a nice day.
    >Jim

    OMG that's HILARIOUS!

    /daytripper (who thought he'd seen everything ;-)

    > On Sat, 08 May 2004 05:43:42 GMT, "Jim in Canada"
    <warnerjim_60@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    > >"daytripper" <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >> On Sat, 08 May 2004 04:51:37 GMT, "Jim in Canada"
    > ><warnerjim_60@hotmail.com>
    > >> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> It's pretty friggin' obvious what the problem was...
    > >>
    > >> /daytripper
    > >
    > >If you are referring to one and only piece of beta software installed on
    the
    > >system, it had been on there for about a month with no problems (except
    the
    > >mediaplayer wmv and wma file buggy) But if that is a known problem with
    SP2,
    > >please let me know :)
    > >
    > >Have a nice day.
    > >Jim
    >
    > OMG that's HILARIOUS!
    >
    > /daytripper (who thought he'd seen everything ;-)

    I don't get it... why the condescending attitude? Why is it that some of
    y'all feel the need to display your "manhood" by belittling those who ask
    questions? Compensating for some other area of your life? Why can't you
    just bypass the question if it isn't worthy of your attention or answer it
    and help the guy out?

    I guess it is what should be expected on a "geeky" group. I bet it'll
    change when some of you get through junior high.

    Ed

    I am not sure how you come to the conclusion that any beta software could
    cause HDD temp problems.

    FYI I have XP SP2 RC1 in and my CPU temp has dropped significantly - it is
    now 8c over ambient idling (P4 2.8c no overclocking, zalman ALCU cooler). Oh
    and the HDD's (seagates admittedly) are ambient to touch.

    - Tim

    In article <c7i2mu$1uc$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, Tim@NoSpam.com says...
    <I am not sure how you come to the conclusion that any beta software could
    <cause HDD temp problems.
    <
    <FYI I have XP SP2 RC1 in and my CPU temp has dropped significantly - it is
    <now 8c over ambient idling (P4 2.8c no overclocking, zalman ALCU cooler). Oh
    <and the HDD's (seagates admittedly) are ambient to touch.
    <
    <- Tim

    <snip>

    I didn't say anything about software. That's the problem with top
    posters, they never read far enough down to find the answer.

    Bill

    "bill" <spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1b06401b6cae9224989700@localhost...
    > In article <c7i2mu$1uc$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, Tim@NoSpam.com says...
    > <I am not sure how you come to the conclusion that any beta software could
    > <cause HDD temp problems.
    > <
    > <FYI I have XP SP2 RC1 in and my CPU temp has dropped significantly - it is
    > <now 8c over ambient idling (P4 2.8c no overclocking, zalman ALCU cooler). Oh
    > <and the HDD's (seagates admittedly) are ambient to touch.
    > <
    > <- Tim
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > I didn't say anything about software. That's the problem with top
    > posters, they never read far enough down to find the answer.
    >
    > Bill

    Bill

    Even though Tim replied to your post, I believe he was referring to Jim's statement on the beta software.

    --Michael

    In article <109palg86kk0790@corp.supernews.com>,
    tvhawaii@SPAMshaka.com says...
    <
    <"bill" <spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1b06401b6cae9224989700@localhost...
    <> In article <c7i2mu$1uc$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, Tim@NoSpam.com says...
    <> <I am not sure how you come to the conclusion that any beta software could
    <> <cause HDD temp problems.
    <> <
[...]

    So then he has a netiquette problem, top posting and not
    mentioning that he's piggybacking on my post, or a reading
    comprehension problem?

    > In article <Wa7nc.414818$Ig.241991@pd7tw2no>, warnerjim_60
    > @hotmail.com says...
    > <snip>
    > <
    > <> No, it's that you had no cooling around your hard drives.
    > <>
    > <> Bill
    > <
    > <The case does have a fan drawing air out of the box directly behind the
    hard
    > <drives....I have built a total of 7 machines ranging from 5 x PIII's to 2
    > <P4's and I have never before had to install direct cooling for hard
    drives.
    > <I am posting from a P4B266 system which is on 24/7 and the drives have no
    > <direct cooling and are fine. Warm, but no where near as hot as the P4PE
    > <system was. . . . I guess hard drive direct cooling will be a feature I
    will
    > <add from now on to be on the safe side. $24CDN is not that much to pay to
    > <keep a person's data from cooking.
    > <
    > <Thanks guys.
    > <Jim
    > <
    > <
    >
    > Well, I don't remember your mentioning case particulars, but hard
    > drives have gotten hotter since they increased the speeds to 7200
    > rpm+ and started encasing them with sound dampening materials.

    Antec Overture:
    http://www.antec-inc.com/us/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=15728#
    The hard drives were mounted in the lower left cage:
    http://www.antec-inc.com/images/400/Overture_inside.jpg
    I removed one of the CDRoms from the front (top left) and put in a 5 1/2
    drive bay fan to bring more air in. Plus I am using only the one HD now.

    > Good air flow around your drives is a must, whether it's from
    > direct cooling or good case layout, if your going to get any
    > longevity out of them.
    >
    > I've got 6 hard drives in this machine and they'd run very hot
    > packed close together if I didn't have 80 mm fans blowing air
    > through the hard drive cages and round cables at the rear to
    > decrease the impedance to air flow. My case is an Antec SX1040.
    >
    > Bill

    That was one of my purchases yesterday (round cables) along with the hard
    drive fan.

    Just to update, it seems to be all back up and running OK. I have had it
    running full boar since 9am this morning. Ran some WD tests on the hard
    drive (all passed) and now I am running seti@home with ASUS hardware monitor
    running. 100% processor usage and 56 degrees Celsius on the processor :) The
    hard drive is warm, but no where near as hot as it was. So far so good.

    Just thought the hard drive overheat was a little odd, since I had this
    setup for about a year with no major problems.
    Jim
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    In article <1tbnc.392251$Pk3.240340@pd7tw1no>, warnerjim_60
    @hotmail.com says...
    <snip>
    <Antec Overture:
    <http://www.antec-inc.com/us/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=15728#
    <The hard drives were mounted in the lower left cage:
    <http://www.antec-inc.com/images/400/Overture_inside.jpg

    That's a small case. It makes cooling a bit harder. Laying flat
    like it does aggravates the problem.

[...]

    Might have bee dirt build up cutting down air flow somewhere or
    maybe your case fan/powersupply fan are going bad, running slower
    than they used to, moving less air.

    Bill
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    In article <1tbnc.392251$Pk3.240340@pd7tw1no>, "Jim in Canada"
    <warnerjim_60@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > "bill" <spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> wrote in message
    > > In article <Wa7nc.414818$Ig.241991@pd7tw2no>, warnerjim_60
    > > @hotmail.com says...
    > > <snip>
    > > <
    > > <> No, it's that you had no cooling around your hard drives.
    > > <>
    > > <> Bill
    > > <
    > > <The case does have a fan drawing air out of the box directly behind the
    > hard
    > > <drives....I have built a total of 7 machines ranging from 5 x PIII's to 2
    > > <P4's and I have never before had to install direct cooling for hard
    > drives.
    > > <I am posting from a P4B266 system which is on 24/7 and the drives have no
    > > <direct cooling and are fine. Warm, but no where near as hot as the P4PE
    > > <system was. . . . I guess hard drive direct cooling will be a feature I
    > will
    > > <add from now on to be on the safe side. $24CDN is not that much to pay to
    > > <keep a person's data from cooking.
    > > <
    > > <Thanks guys.
    > > <Jim
    > > <
    > > <
    > >
    > > Well, I don't remember your mentioning case particulars, but hard
    > > drives have gotten hotter since they increased the speeds to 7200
    > > rpm+ and started encasing them with sound dampening materials.
    > >

    > Antec Overture:
    > http://www.antec-inc.com/us/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=15728#
    > The hard drives were mounted in the lower left cage:
    > http://www.antec-inc.com/images/400/Overture_inside.jpg
    > I removed one of the CDRoms from the front (top left) and put in a 5 1/2
    > drive bay fan to bring more air in. Plus I am using only the one HD now.
    >
    > > Good air flow around your drives is a must, whether it's from
    > > direct cooling or good case layout, if your going to get any
    > > longevity out of them.
    > >
    > > I've got 6 hard drives in this machine and they'd run very hot
    > > packed close together if I didn't have 80 mm fans blowing air
    > > through the hard drive cages and round cables at the rear to
    > > decrease the impedance to air flow. My case is an Antec SX1040.
    > >
    > > Bill
    >
    > That was one of my purchases yesterday (round cables) along with the hard
    > drive fan.
    >
    > Just to update, it seems to be all back up and running OK. I have had it
    > running full boar since 9am this morning. Ran some WD tests on the hard
    > drive (all passed) and now I am running seti@home with ASUS hardware monitor
    > running. 100% processor usage and 56 degrees Celsius on the processor :) The
    > hard drive is warm, but no where near as hot as it was. So far so good.
    >
    > Just thought the hard drive overheat was a little odd, since I had this
    > setup for about a year with no major problems.
    > Jim

    Maybe you should look into one of these:

    http://www.thermaltake.com/products/hdcooler/hdcooler.htm

    I got something similar before Christmas, with the two LCD
    temperature monitors but without the fan. There are LCD
    monitors which run on batteries (a mistake) or run off
    computer power, and perhaps you can monitor the drive
    temperature over a matter of days.

    The power consumption of the drive is for the most part
    limited on +5V, because that is used to power the controller.
    But the +12V provides power for the drive motor (and perhaps
    the actuator), and can draw up to 2 amps before the drive shuts
    down and declares a problem.

    As others have said, it could be you have a bearing problem,
    and when the drive first starts up, there could be enough
    lubricant effect to keep the drive running normally for a
    while. While your problem could be lack of air circulation,
    there will be plenty of computer cases out there, just like
    yours, and drives aren't dropping like flies. I think the
    symptoms are too suspicious to be just bad luck.

    Do you have the drives set up to spin down while running
    Seti ? Or does Seti pretty much keep the drive running ?
    Maybe you can set up a RAM disk for Seti, if it needs a
    scratch disk, allowing the hard drive to spin down. That
    will leave the PSU as the remaining "weak link".

    Paul
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    It sounds like the bearings in the harddrive failed and caused the
    overheating. Time for a new HD, I'm afraid.

    --
    DaveW

> [...]
    has
    > a fancy chrome cover on the bottom of it.
    >
    > I went out and purchased a hard drive cooler for the WD (the type that
    > attaches to the bottom of the HD), and another fan for the front of the
    > case. A round IDE cable for better air flow. I re-hooked up the WD and
    > booted the 98 boot disk floppy. Fdisked the MBR successfully, and
    > reinstalled WinXP with SP1.
    >
    > Everything so far is working, but I do not believe my Western Digital HD
    is
    > not long for this world......I have run some tests on it, and it passes
    them
    > all. I even defragged it a couple times to see if it would get warm again,
    > but it is staying pretty cool to the touch now.
    >
    > Anyone know what may have caused the drives to get so unbelievably hot in

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Fishface schrieb:

    > Here is a link which shows some HDD
    > temperatures for comparison. Select the correct item, of course...
    > http://storagereview.com/php/benchmark/bench_sort.php

    These are the *net* drives temperatures, i.e. T_drive - T_ambient. The
    direct comparison feature will also reveal both of these values. Just
    thought I'd mention that in case someone's wondering which fridge these
    drives were mounted in... ;)

    Stephan
    --
    Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
    PC#6: i440BX, 1xP3-500E, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

    > In article <1tbnc.392251$Pk3.240340@pd7tw1no>, warnerjim_60
    > @hotmail.com says...
    > <snip>
    > <Antec Overture:
    > <http://www.antec-inc.com/us/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=15728#
    > <The hard drives were mounted in the lower left cage:
    > <http://www.antec-inc.com/images/400/Overture_inside.jpg
    >
    > That's a small case. It makes cooling a bit harder. Laying flat
    > like it does aggravates the problem.
    >
    > <I removed one of the CDRoms from the front (top left) and put in a 5 1/2
    > <drive bay fan to bring more air in. Plus I am using only the one HD now.
    > <
    > <> Good air flow around your drives is a must, whether it's from
    > <> direct cooling or good case layout, if your going to get any
    > <> longevity out of them.
    > <>
    > <> I've got 6 hard drives in this machine and they'd run very hot
    > <> packed close together if I didn't have 80 mm fans blowing air
    > <> through the hard drive cages and round cables at the rear to
    > <> decrease the impedance to air flow. My case is an Antec SX1040.
    > <>
    > <> Bill
    > <
    > <That was one of my purchases yesterday (round cables) along with the hard
    > <drive fan.
    > <
    > <Just to update, it seems to be all back up and running OK. I have had it
    > <running full boar since 9am this morning. Ran some WD tests on the hard
    > <drive (all passed) and now I am running seti@home with ASUS hardware
    monitor
    > <running. 100% processor usage and 56 degrees Celsius on the processor :)
    The
    > <hard drive is warm, but no where near as hot as it was. So far so good.
    > <
    > <Just thought the hard drive overheat was a little odd, since I had this
    > <setup for about a year with no major problems.
    > <Jim
    > <
    >
    > Might have bee dirt build up cutting down air flow somewhere or
    > maybe your case fan/powersupply fan are going bad, running slower
    > than they used to, moving less air.
    >
    > Bill

    It is the larger of the 2 "lifestyle" series cases Antec makes. About the
    same size as a Pioneer or Sherwood (what ever happened to Sherwood?) audio
    amplifier, so it fits and looks good in the entertainment unit. (With about
    6 inches of clearance all around for circulation).
    I had it all pulled apart, and all was clean. The IDE ribbons were replaced,
    as the cdrom and HD being back to back, the round IDE made for better air
    flow.

    I entered the BIOS just a little while ago and noticed the monitor for the
    case fan was set to ignore. When I set it to monitor, it changed to a red
    ~1120 rpm. Maybe the Antec Smart Cool fan is going?? I can not get the
    system to boot up with it set to monitor, as the computer halts and says I
    should check my setup.

    Thanks again,
    Jim
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    >snip<
    > Maybe you should look into one of these:
    >
    > http://www.thermaltake.com/products/hdcooler/hdcooler.htm
    >
    > I got something similar before Christmas, with the two LCD
    > temperature monitors but without the fan. There are LCD
    > monitors which run on batteries (a mistake) or run off
    > computer power, and perhaps you can monitor the drive
    > temperature over a matter of days.
    >
    > The power consumption of the drive is for the most part
    > limited on +5V, because that is used to power the controller.
    > But the +12V provides power for the drive motor (and perhaps
    > the actuator), and can draw up to 2 amps before the drive shuts
    > down and declares a problem.
    >
    > As others have said, it could be you have a bearing problem,
    > and when the drive first starts up, there could be enough
    > lubricant effect to keep the drive running normally for a
    > while. While your problem could be lack of air circulation,
    > there will be plenty of computer cases out there, just like
    > yours, and drives aren't dropping like flies. I think the
    > symptoms are too suspicious to be just bad luck.
    >
    > Do you have the drives set up to spin down while running
    > Seti ? Or does Seti pretty much keep the drive running ?
    > Maybe you can set up a RAM disk for Seti, if it needs a
    > scratch disk, allowing the hard drive to spin down. That
    > will leave the PSU as the remaining "weak link".
    >
    > Paul

    When I went into the bios, I noticed monitor of the case fan was set to
    ignore. When I activated it, it went to a red ~1120RPM. But, it is one of
    those "smart fans" which is supposed to spin low and quiet, until needed. It
    does speed up and slow down on it's own. So if I need a new one, I will also
    pick up a "Just Cooler TT900" or a "Cyber Cooler CC290" for the hard drives.

    The box has been running (after complete O/S reinstall) full boar for over
    24 hours, and the hard drive still has not got near as hot as it did a
    couple days ago.

    Still a little suspicious as to what caused it. I am also impressed that the
    WD hard drive is working at all. With the scorched back plate and other heat
    damage, I thought it would have been completely toast. I will be looking
    into a new one soon, just-in-case.....I have not got around to see if the
    Seagate survived yet, but I will post back.

    The HD is set to spin down after 10 min's, but seti may be keeping it busy
    to, as it writes it's results every so often. Know of a link to a good ram
    disk program? Still with my computers running seti since 2000, this still
    does not sound like the heat culprit, but it may help :)

    Thanks Paul.
    Jim

    Registered: 12/11/2000
    Results returned: 8,789
    Last result returned: 5/9/2004 9:04:25 AM
    Total CPU time: 6.62 yrs
    Avg. CPU time: 6:36:13
    Result interval: 3:23:53
    CPU dedication: 1.943
    Rank: 22,917 of 4,985,794 (99.540%)
    Users with this rank: 3
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    In article <RFsnc.402446$Pk3.350200@pd7tw1no>, warnerjim_60
    @hotmail.com says...

    <snip>
    <I entered the BIOS just a little while ago and noticed the monitor for the
    <case fan was set to ignore. When I set it to monitor, it changed to a red
    <~1120 rpm. Maybe the Antec Smart Cool fan is going?? I can not get the
    <system to boot up with it set to monitor, as the computer halts and says I
    <should check my setup.
    <
    <Thanks again,
    <Jim
    <
    <
    <

    I'd put a new fan in there, they're cheap. It looks like your bios
    knows that the fan is turning too slow for safe cooling.The slowest
    any of my 80mm fans turn is ~2600 rpm. Any lower on the voltage to
    make the fan run slower and the fan sometimes fails to start at
    all.

    Somebody else mentioned the hd drive bearing might be beginning to
    fail. It wouldn't hurt to back up any data you can't afford to
    lose, just in case. I'd have to figure if it wasn't failing in the
    first place, the overheating didn't do it any good.

    Bill
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    In article <SFsnc.428031$Ig.105951@pd7tw2no>, "Jim in Canada"
> [...]

    > couple days ago.
    >
    > Still a little suspicious as to what caused it. I am also impressed that the
    > WD hard drive is working at all. With the scorched back plate and other heat
    > damage, I thought it would have been completely toast. I will be looking
    > into a new one soon, just-in-case.....I have not got around to see if the
    > Seagate survived yet, but I will post back.
    >
    > The HD is set to spin down after 10 min's, but seti may be keeping it busy
    > to, as it writes it's results every so often. Know of a link to a good ram
    > disk program? Still with my computers running seti since 2000, this still
    > does not sound like the heat culprit, but it may help :)
    >
    > Thanks Paul.
    > Jim
    >
    > Registered: 12/11/2000
    > Results returned: 8,789
    > Last result returned: 5/9/2004 9:04:25 AM

    Try a Google search on the two terms "seti ramdisk".
    I got plenty of hits, and there is mention of something called
    ramdisk98. I experimented with a ramdisk a while back, but
    cannot find it right now :-(

    As for drive temperature, you should check the "motherboard temp"
    using Motherboard Monitor (MBM5). Some people have a delta_t between
    the inside of the case (motherboard temp) and the outside world
    of 15C, and they need to move more air through the case.

    Personally, I would remove the Antec smart fan, and put in
    a fixed speed fan, like a Panasonic Panaflo. Select a fan
    which gives you a reasonable delta_t and leave it at
    that. For example, the Panaflo listed below, has roughly
    the same output as the Antec, but will be moving 40CFM of
    air at normal room temps. 32dBA isn't that loud (check your
    disk drive specs to compare).

    http://www.antec-inc.com/pdf/80mm_smartcool.pdf

    20C 1650RPM 21dBA 24CFM
    50C 2850RPM 34dBA 41CFM

    Panaflo 80MM "High" 39.6CFM 32dBA $20 (bigfootcomputers.com)

    No tachometer output, install connector manually ?
    Order a three pin connector from the drop down menu ?
    http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=2953CFPA&Category_Code=

    HTH,
    Paul
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    nospam@needed.com (Paul) writes:
    > Panaflo 80MM "High" 39.6CFM 32dBA $20 (bigfootcomputers.com)
    >
    > No tachometer output, install connector manually ?
    > Order a three pin connector from the drop down menu ?
    > http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=2953CFPA&Category_Code=

    The panaflo-80mm's I have don't seem to have anything wired up to the
    third connector on the fan. I plugged a 3-wire cable in just to see
    if the signal was present, but nope. No such luck.

    The low-speed panaflo's are are nice quiet fans though.

    -wolfgang
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    In article <Wa7nc.414818$Ig.241991@pd7tw2no>, "Jim in Canada" <warnerjim_60@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >"bill" <spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <is_mc.411127$Ig.286684@pd7tw2no>, warnerjim_60
    >> @hotmail.com says...
    >> <snip>
    >> <>
    >> <> It's pretty friggin' obvious what the problem was...
    >> <>
    >> <> /daytripper
    >> <
    >> <If you are referring to one and only piece of beta software installed on
    >the
    >> <system, it had been on there for about a month with no problems (except
    >the
    >> <mediaplayer wmv and wma file buggy) But if that is a known problem with
    >SP2,
    >> <please let me know :)
    >> <
    >> <Have a nice day.
    >> <Jim
    >> <
    >
    >> No, it's that you had no cooling around your hard drives.
    >>
    >> Bill
    >
    >The case does have a fan drawing air out of the box directly behind the hard
    >drives....I have built a total of 7 machines ranging from 5 x PIII's to 2 x
    >P4's and I have never before had to install direct cooling for hard drives.
    >I am posting from a P4B266 system which is on 24/7 and the drives have no
    >direct cooling and are fine. Warm, but no where near as hot as the P4PE
    >system was. . . . I guess hard drive direct cooling will be a feature I will
    >add from now on to be on the safe side. $24CDN is not that much to pay to
    >keep a person's data from cooking.
    >
    >Thanks guys.
    >Jim

    And that fan drawing air out directly behind the hard drives is also pulling
    all of the other heat in the box right accross the HD's
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Fishface" <invalid@ddress.ok?> wrote in message
    > Jim in Canada
    > > I went out and purchased a hard drive cooler for the WD (the
    > > type that attaches to the bottom of the HD), and another fan
    > >for the front of the case.
    >
    > So, it was the WD that was running hot? Were they both stacked
    > with no space in between? Here is a link which shows some HDD
    > temperatures for comparison. Select the correct item, of course...
    > http://storagereview.com/php/benchmark/bench_sort.php
    > If you find that there is something abnormal, WD is good about
    > replacing them...

    Both the WD and the SG were running extremely (at the time) hot. There was
    an open drive between the two....I took everything apart and reinstalled
    just the WD (for now) just to see if I could get a pulse.........it keeps
    going, and going..... ;)

    Jim

Asus Western Digital Hard Drives Motherboards