Running a CS server behind a router? Can it be done?

Yep a newby here...

Trying to Run a CS server on a P4 2.53GHz home built PC
with 512 MB Ram and a Geforce4 Ti 4200 128MB Video Card.

Oh and Cable 4mbit/5kbit speeds...

Will it work and if so how many max players?

Thanks for any help!

Moondog
5 answers Last reply
More about running server router done

    * Moondog wrote:
    > Trying to Run a CS server on a P4 2.53GHz home built PC
    > with 512 MB Ram and a Geforce4 Ti 4200 128MB Video Card.
    >
    > Oh and Cable 4mbit/5kbit speeds...
    >
    > Will it work and if so how many max players?

    Certainly should. Max players may be a bit of experiment, though. Many
    determining factors.

    Things to consider :
    - if you run bots, they take CPU for each, so max
    players should be decreased as you increase no of bots;
    - not so much your downstream internet connection, but more your
    upstream speed to clients connecting to you (many ISPs these speeds
    are not the same);
    - is this the PC you are playing on also, or is it dedicated? If you
    play on it also, then that takes CPU and performance away from
    players;
    - and the final most important is your router - you need to set up port
    forwarding on it so that players outside can see port 27015 (or
    whatever the game port you set is) on the PC you intend to be the
    server.

    Have fun experimenting.

    --
    T R O Y P I G G I N S
    e : usenet@piggo.com

    On 06 Feb 2005 21:22:25 GMT, Troy Piggins <usenet@piggo.com> wrote:

    >* Moondog wrote:
    >> Trying to Run a CS server on a P4 2.53GHz home built PC
    >> with 512 MB Ram and a Geforce4 Ti 4200 128MB Video Card.
    >>
    >> Oh and Cable 4mbit/5kbit speeds...
    >>
    >> Will it work and if so how many max players?
    >
    >Certainly should. Max players may be a bit of experiment, though. Many
    >determining factors.
    >
    >Things to consider :
    >- if you run bots, they take CPU for each, so max
    >players should be decreased as you increase no of bots;
    >- not so much your downstream internet connection, but more your
    >upstream speed to clients connecting to you (many ISPs these speeds
    >are not the same);
    >- is this the PC you are playing on also, or is it dedicated? If you
    > play on it also, then that takes CPU and performance away from
    > players;
    >- and the final most important is your router - you need to set up port
    > forwarding on it so that players outside can see port 27015 (or
    > whatever the game port you set is) on the PC you intend to be the
    > server.
    >
    >Have fun experimenting.

    Ok thanks for the info. Did the port fowarding stuff... Just one more
    question...

    I can't very well give out the game IP as being 192.168.1.100:27015
    can I? But that's what my router give's me for a IP. And thats what
    the Steam dedicated CS server is using...

    Oh and till I get a job the empty case i have for my second PC shall
    remain empty :-( So I would have to play on my game server till
    then. NO Bots though!

    Moondog
    Moondog

    * Moondog wrote:
    > Ok thanks for the info. Did the port fowarding stuff... Just one more
    > question...
    >
    > I can't very well give out the game IP as being 192.168.1.100:27015
    > can I? But that's what my router give's me for a IP. And thats what
    > the Steam dedicated CS server is using...

    No, that IP address will be no good to anyone outside your LAN (which
    sounds like it consists of just you and router at the moment).

    Your router should have 2 IP addresses - 1 for your LAN (192.168.1.100)
    and 1 for the internet. You need to find that one out. Not sure what
    router you use, but most have a web interface for config, and you should
    be able to find it there.

    --
    T R O Y P I G G I N S
    e : usenet@piggo.com

    "Troy Piggins" <usenet@piggo.com> wrote in message
    > * Moondog wrote:
    > > Ok thanks for the info. Did the port fowarding stuff... Just one more
    > > question...
    > >
    > > I can't very well give out the game IP as being 192.168.1.100:27015
    > > can I? But that's what my router give's me for a IP. And thats what
    > > the Steam dedicated CS server is using...
    >
    > No, that IP address will be no good to anyone outside your LAN (which
    > sounds like it consists of just you and router at the moment).
    >
    > Your router should have 2 IP addresses - 1 for your LAN (192.168.1.100)
    > and 1 for the internet. You need to find that one out. Not sure what
    > router you use, but most have a web interface for config, and you should
    > be able to find it there.
    >
    > > Oh and till I get a job the empty case i have for my second PC shall
    > > remain empty :-( So I would have to play on my game server till
    > > then. NO Bots though!

    you'll probably find the ip you need listed as the WAN ip on your router,
    alternatively, your isp may have sent all relevant details to you via email
    prior to your account starting.
    assuming the usual upstream speed of 256kbit/s 4 people would be able to
    connect to your server without compromising the quality of anyone's
    connection, more than 4 will attempt to overuse the connection - each player
    requires about 7KB/sec of upstream bw from the server. i got that info from
    steam well over a year ago, i doubt its changed much since.

    dr ratt
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 13:58:44 -0700, Moondog
    <YesIamadumbass@yourhome.com> wrote:

    > Yep a newby here...
    >
    > Trying to Run a CS server on a P4 2.53GHz home built PC
    > with 512 MB Ram and a Geforce4 Ti 4200 128MB Video Card.
    >
    >Oh and Cable 4mbit/5kbit speeds...
    >
    >Will it work and if so how many max players?
    >
    >Thanks for any help!
    >
    > Moondog

    imho:

    If this pc is going to be a dedicated cs server, and you are really
    interested in doing all the time, you might want to install linux for
    full pc power benifits.

    If you know linux, than nuff said.

    If you do not, most linux knowledge to run a cs server can be learned
    from a dummies book, just an example how simple a linux server can be.
    Plus there are many resources online for working with linux/CS setup.

    I'm also guessing since you didn't mentionit, you are protected behind
    a firewall, so learning it for linux won't be necessary immediately.

    hth,

    tom

Routers Servers Video Games