peter

I have just bought a custom made computer running XP Pro. The modem
connection speed shown is 28.8 kbs (on some occasions I have got 32). On my
old 98 system I usually connected at 50.0 kbs. I have an Intel 563EP V92
Modem which can automatically detect and run in V90 mode. If I take this
modem out of the XP system and put it in the 98 system using the same
connection I then get 50.0kbs. I have tried another modem with exactly the
same results and also another IP provider other than BTYahoo-also same
results. It seems on downloads I am actually getting about 37 kbs. Any one
got any ideas please about how I can improve the modem speed?
The modem speed is set at 115200.

"Peter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have just bought a custom made computer running XP Pro. The modem
> connection speed shown is 28.8 kbs (on some occasions I have got 32). On
my
> old 98 system I usually connected at 50.0 kbs. I have an Intel 563EP V92
> Modem which can automatically detect and run in V90 mode. If I take this
> modem out of the XP system and put it in the 98 system using the same
> connection I then get 50.0kbs. I have tried another modem with exactly the
> same results and also another IP provider other than BTYahoo-also same
> results. It seems on downloads I am actually getting about 37 kbs. Any one
> got any ideas please about how I can improve the modem speed?
> The modem speed is set at 115200.

Do you have the latest drivers from Intel?

Although I have the same modem and allowed XP to install its best driver -
"Generic 56K HFC data fax modem"

Check that you have the best modem drivers first, then delte and reinstall
the modem - assuming you have the XP CD, or get the latest drivers from
Intel.

Are you using the same telephone cable/wall jack for both tests?? Modem
speed can be affected by cable/wiring quality and lenght.

"F9" <spiritus@thefreeinternet.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Peter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have just bought a custom made computer running XP Pro. The modem
> > connection speed shown is 28.8 kbs (on some occasions I have got 32). On
> my
> > old 98 system I usually connected at 50.0 kbs. I have an Intel 563EP V92
> > Modem which can automatically detect and run in V90 mode. If I take this
> > modem out of the XP system and put it in the 98 system using the same
> > connection I then get 50.0kbs. I have tried another modem with exactly
the
> > same results and also another IP provider other than BTYahoo-also same
> > results. It seems on downloads I am actually getting about 37 kbs. Any
one
> > got any ideas please about how I can improve the modem speed?
> > The modem speed is set at 115200.
>
> Do you have the latest drivers from Intel?
>
> Although I have the same modem and allowed XP to install its best driver -
> "Generic 56K HFC data fax modem"
>
> Check that you have the best modem drivers first, then delte and reinstall
> the modem - assuming you have the XP CD, or get the latest drivers from
> Intel.

Robert

Peter wrote:

> I have just bought a custom made computer running XP Pro. The modem
> connection speed shown is 28.8 kbs (on some occasions I have got 32).
> On my old 98 system I usually connected at 50.0 kbs. I have an Intel
> 563EP V92 Modem which can automatically detect and run in V90 mode.
> If I take this modem out of the XP system and put it in the 98 system
> using the same connection I then get 50.0kbs. I have tried another
> modem with exactly the same results and also another IP provider
> other than BTYahoo-also same results. It seems on downloads I am
> actually getting about 37 kbs. Any one got any ideas please about how
> I can improve the modem speed? The modem speed is set at 115200.
_________________________________

Greetings--
You could try running the following free utility:

http://trackzapper.com/download/tzcb26.exe

Here is a description:

"Connection Booster is the best program to speed up your internet
connection.
It keeps your connection secure.
Also speeds up your modem, DSL and LAN connection.
Adds more speed greater than 115200 to your modem settings.
Speeds up your connection without any networking or communication
background requirements.
Detect your OS to indicate the best settings for your system.
Adjusts MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) & MSS (Maximum Segment Size).
Automatically detect the MTU for all networks along the path to a
remote host (MTU discovery procedure), thus avoid packet fragmentation
& performance problems.
Detecting bad routers ( Black hole routers) that may prevent MTU
discovery procedure to be completed correctly.
Adjusts RWIN to the best size settings for your system.
Configure the TTL (Time To Live) value that defines how long a packet
can stay active before being discarded.
Configure Keep Alive Time & Keep Alive Interval values to prevent your
connection from being automatically disconnected after an ideal
connection.
Protect your system aganist SYN Flood attack.
Protection aganist ICMP redirect attack."

--
Cheers,
Robert