heat problem on A7N8X-dl...

Hey,

I've just installed an xp3000 barton on this one, but it runs very hot,
about 60 degrees celcius, and only windows xp is running...
The cpu is supposed to get 1,65v, and i my bios (the newest one 1007), there
is only one possible setting and that is 1,85v.
My board is rev. 1.04, and I have just flashed the bios from 1002 to 1007,
and I have reset the bios before i started up.
Earlier my bios could set many different voltages, but now only 1,85v, and I
think that this is the reason for the high temperature.

Can anyone help me out??? Please...

--

best regards John

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is.
You have to see it for yourself"
15 answers Last reply
More about heat problem a7n8x

    J.F.K wrote:
    > Hey,
    >
    > I've just installed an xp3000 barton on this one, but it runs very
    > hot, about 60 degrees celcius, and only windows xp is running...
    > The cpu is supposed to get 1,65v, and i my bios (the newest one
    > 1007), there is only one possible setting and that is 1,85v.
    > My board is rev. 1.04, and I have just flashed the bios from 1002 to
    > 1007, and I have reset the bios before i started up.
    > Earlier my bios could set many different voltages, but now only
    > 1,85v, and I think that this is the reason for the high temperature.
    >
    > Can anyone help me out??? Please...

    I'm guessing you used Asus Update to flash the BIOS.

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7N8X%20Deluxe&Type=Latest

    Make sure you have the right bin file for your PCB revision.
    The Award Flash utility. 8.24B is on the bottom of the page.

    At the A:\ prompt, type something similar to the following:

    awdflash xxxxxxxx.bin sn/py/cc/cd/cp/LD/E will delete all old BIOS info
    during a flash.
    awdflash xxxxxxxx.bin /py/cc/cd/cp/LD/E will do the same and prompt
    to backup the old BIOS.

    Where awdflash is the name of the flashing utility and xxxxxxx.bin is the
    name of the ROM file. Change the name and/or extension as needed. Note: all
    spaces on command line are single spaces.

    S.Heenan wrote:

    Missed this link

    http://www.asus.com/support/english/techref/bios/awdflash.aspx

    "S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> skrev i en meddelelse
    > J.F.K wrote:
    > > Hey,
    > >
    > > I've just installed an xp3000 barton on this one, but it runs very
    > > hot, about 60 degrees celcius, and only windows xp is running...
    > > The cpu is supposed to get 1,65v, and i my bios (the newest one
    > > 1007), there is only one possible setting and that is 1,85v.
    > > My board is rev. 1.04, and I have just flashed the bios from 1002 to
    > > 1007, and I have reset the bios before i started up.
    > > Earlier my bios could set many different voltages, but now only
    > > 1,85v, and I think that this is the reason for the high temperature.
    > >
    > > Can anyone help me out??? Please...
    >

    > I'm guessing you used Asus Update to flash the BIOS.

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7N8X%20Deluxe&Type=Latest

    > Make sure you have the right bin file for your PCB revision.
    > The Award Flash utility. 8.24B is on the bottom of the page.
    >

    > At the A:\ prompt, type something similar to the following:
    >
    > awdflash xxxxxxxx.bin sn/py/cc/cd/cp/LD/E will delete all old BIOS info
    > during a flash.
    > awdflash xxxxxxxx.bin /py/cc/cd/cp/LD/E will do the same and
    prompt
    > to backup the old BIOS.
    >
    > Where awdflash is the name of the flashing utility and xxxxxxx.bin is the
    > name of the ROM file. Change the name and/or extension as needed. Note:
    all
    > spaces on command line are single spaces.

    No I have not used Asus Update to flash the BIOS, I used Awardflash utility.
    8.24B, and did it just as Asus explaned it at this site:
    http://taiwan.asus.com.tw/support/english/techref/bios/awdflash.aspx

    Therefore I don't see that I have done something wrong...

    John

    by the way I have been very carefull making sure that I used the right files
    with my moboard,

    J.F.K wrote:
    >> At the A:\ prompt, type something similar to the following:
    >>
    >> awdflash xxxxxxxx.bin sn/py/cc/cd/cp/LD/E will delete all old
    >> BIOS info during a flash.
    >> awdflash xxxxxxxx.bin /py/cc/cd/cp/LD/E will do the same and
    >> prompt to backup the old BIOS.
    >>
    >> Where awdflash is the name of the flashing utility and xxxxxxx.bin
    >> is the name of the ROM file. Change the name and/or extension as
    >> needed. Note: all spaces on command line are single spaces.
    >>
    > No I have not used Asus Update to flash the BIOS, I used Awardflash
    > utility.
    > 8.24B, and did it just as Asus explaned it at this site:

    Asus has had file corruption issues on the website in the past.

    Use the following utility to verify the MD5 checksum of the AN8D1007.BIN
    file. It should be
    6fdefd329df6c0e3c677d272bf7babca
    http://winmd5sum.solidblue.biz/

    (I realize this may be grasping at straws)

    Even using the Award Flash utility may leave unwanted data on the flash
    EEPROM. Try ver 1007 again using the command line switches I've listed
    above. If that doesn't work, revert to the 1006 version.

    Lastly, use a new floppy. Run chkdsk or scandisk to insure it is free of
    errors, before flashing.

    > J.F.K wrote:
    > >> At the A:\ prompt, type something similar to the following:
    > >>
    > >> awdflash xxxxxxxx.bin sn/py/cc/cd/cp/LD/E will delete all old
    > >> BIOS info during a flash.
    > >> awdflash xxxxxxxx.bin /py/cc/cd/cp/LD/E will do the same and
    > >> prompt to backup the old BIOS.
    > >>
    > >> Where awdflash is the name of the flashing utility and xxxxxxx.bin
    > >> is the name of the ROM file. Change the name and/or extension as
    > >> needed. Note: all spaces on command line are single spaces.
    > >>
    > > No I have not used Asus Update to flash the BIOS, I used Awardflash
    > > utility.
    > > 8.24B, and did it just as Asus explaned it at this site:
    >

    > Asus has had file corruption issues on the website in the past.
    >
    > Use the following utility to verify the MD5 checksum of the AN8D1007.BIN
    > file. It should be
    > 6fdefd329df6c0e3c677d272bf7babca
    > http://winmd5sum.solidblue.biz/
    >
    > (I realize this may be grasping at straws)
    >

    > Even using the Award Flash utility may leave unwanted data on the flash
    > EEPROM. Try ver 1007 again using the command line switches I've listed
    > above. If that doesn't work, revert to the 1006 version.
    >
    > Lastly, use a new floppy. Run chkdsk or scandisk to insure it is free of
    > errors, before flashing.

    Now I have done all of the above, the checksum is also correct...
    Then I went for the Uber bios bootdisk image ver. 1004, and that was easy
    ;-) but still I only have the Vcore og 1,85 to sellect from, is it bad for
    my xp3000 to run with this Vcore?
    The command line from Uber bios was: Awdflash.exe AD1004US.BIN /py /sn /cd
    /cp /cc /LD /R
    How do I know what these parameters do?
    And the only bios I've not used is 1006, should I try this one?

    John

    J.F.K wrote:
    > Now I have done all of the above, the checksum is also correct...
    > Then I went for the Uber bios bootdisk image ver. 1004, and that was
    > easy ;-) but still I only have the Vcore og 1,85 to sellect from, is
    > it bad for my xp3000 to run with this Vcore?
    > The command line from Uber bios was: Awdflash.exe AD1004US.BIN /py
    > /sn /cd /cp /cc /LD /R
    > How do I know what these parameters do?
    > And the only bios I've not used is 1006, should I try this one?

    If you type awdflash /? at the command line, it will tell you which switch
    is which.

    If memory serves: py=program sn=do not ask to backup original cc=clear
    CMOS after flashing cd=clear DMI pool cp=clear PNP data LD=clear CMOS
    after flashing without the "F1 or Del" message R=reset after programming.

    It's rather odd you only have the one voltage choice. At 1.85V it is a
    little high since the default is 1.65V. It shouldn't cause any harm to the
    CPU, unless it becomes very hot at some point.

    Try the 1006 BIOS. Use the same command switches.

    In article <409df985$0$172$edfadb0f@dtext01.news.tele.dk>, "J.F.K"
    <jfk006@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > "S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> skrev i en meddelelse

    > > > No I have not used Asus Update to flash the BIOS, I used Awardflash
    > > > utility.
    > > > 8.24B, and did it just as Asus explaned it at this site:
    > >

    > > Asus has had file corruption issues on the website in the past.
    > >
    > > Use the following utility to verify the MD5 checksum of the AN8D1007.BIN
    > > file. It should be
    > > 6fdefd329df6c0e3c677d272bf7babca
    > > http://winmd5sum.solidblue.biz/
    > >
    > > (I realize this may be grasping at straws)
    > >

    > > Even using the Award Flash utility may leave unwanted data on the flash
    > > EEPROM. Try ver 1007 again using the command line switches I've listed
    > > above. If that doesn't work, revert to the 1006 version.
    > >
    > > Lastly, use a new floppy. Run chkdsk or scandisk to insure it is free of
    > > errors, before flashing.
    >
    > Now I have done all of the above, the checksum is also correct...
    > Then I went for the Uber bios bootdisk image ver. 1004, and that was easy
    > ;-) but still I only have the Vcore og 1,85 to sellect from, is it bad for
    > my xp3000 to run with this Vcore?
    > The command line from Uber bios was: Awdflash.exe AD1004US.BIN /py /sn /cd
    > /cp /cc /LD /R
    > How do I know what these parameters do?
    > And the only bios I've not used is 1006, should I try this one?
    >

    > John

    Here is a table of VID code 5 bit values and the resulting Vcore
    requested. This is from a Model 4 processor, and I don't know if
    all Athlon processors use the same table or not.

    Table 20. VID[4:0] Code to Voltage Definition
    VID[4:0] VCC_CORE(V) VID[4:0] VCC_CORE(V)
    00000 1.850 10000 1.450
    00001 1.825 10001 1.425
    00010 1.800 10010 1.400
    00011 1.775 10011 1.375
    00100 1.750 10100 1.350
    00101 1.725 10101 1.325
    00110 1.700 10110 1.300
    00111 1.675 10111 1.275
    01000 1.650 11000 1.250
    01001 1.625 11001 1.225
    01010 1.600 11010 1.200
    01011 1.575 11011 1.175
    01100 1.550 11100 1.150
    01101 1.525 11101 1.125
    01110 1.500 11110 1.100
    01111 1.475 11111 No CPU

    Notice how the difference between 1.65 and 1.85 is a single bit.
    Some people do a "wire trick" to boost voltage, on boards that
    are not adjustable. It is possible someone has modified the
    bridges on the top of the processor, or put a "shorting wire"
    in the socket of your motherboard, on the processor itself,
    or even soldered a wire to the back of the socket. Remove
    the processor from the socket and verify you are not the
    victim of "VID modding".

    HTH,
    Paul

    > J.F.K wrote:
    > > Now I have done all of the above, the checksum is also correct...
    > > Then I went for the Uber bios bootdisk image ver. 1004, and that was
    > > easy ;-) but still I only have the Vcore og 1,85 to sellect from, is
    > > it bad for my xp3000 to run with this Vcore?
    > > The command line from Uber bios was: Awdflash.exe AD1004US.BIN /py
    > > /sn /cd /cp /cc /LD /R
    > > How do I know what these parameters do?
    > > And the only bios I've not used is 1006, should I try this one?
    >

    > If you type awdflash /? at the command line, it will tell you which switch
    > is which.
    >
    > If memory serves: py=program sn=do not ask to backup original cc=clear
    > CMOS after flashing cd=clear DMI pool cp=clear PNP data LD=clear CMOS
    > after flashing without the "F1 or Del" message R=reset after programming.
    >
    > It's rather odd you only have the one voltage choice. At 1.85V it is a
    > little high since the default is 1.65V. It shouldn't cause any harm to the
    > CPU, unless it becomes very hot at some point.
    >
    > Try the 1006 BIOS. Use the same command switches.

    I've not yet tried the 1006 bios, but I've tried some overcloking, why is it
    that I cant go below the multiplyer 13, but I can run whitout problems at
    13,5x and 14x... Even 14x170 (2380MHz), whitout any probs.
    This I tought was cool, but I still am a little irritated about the Vcore
    set to 1,85v. The temp was abuot 67 degrees celcious, after playing for
    about 20min.
    Does this mean my xp3000 is locked or unlocked?

    John

    J.F.K wrote:
    > I've not yet tried the 1006 bios, but I've tried some overcloking,
    > why is it that I cant go below the multiplyer 13, but I can run
    > whitout problems at 13,5x and 14x... Even 14x170 (2380MHz), whitout
    > any probs.
    > This I tought was cool, but I still am a little irritated about the
    > Vcore set to 1,85v. The temp was abuot 67 degrees celcious, after
    > playing for about 20min.
    > Does this mean my xp3000 is locked or unlocked?

    Sounds like it's unlocked to me, since the native multiplier is 13x. The
    Asus board lcaks the 5th multiplier bit, so multipliers below 13x are
    unavailable, unless a particular L3 bridge is opened.

    Did you read the reply from Paul concerning VID modding ? Sounds like he
    might have something there. It is also possible that a bridge on top of the
    CPU is shorted or open when it shouldn't be. You might want to examine it
    closely.

    > J.F.K wrote:
    > > I've not yet tried the 1006 bios, but I've tried some overcloking,
    > > why is it that I cant go below the multiplyer 13, but I can run
    > > whitout problems at 13,5x and 14x... Even 14x170 (2380MHz), whitout
    > > any probs.
    > > This I tought was cool, but I still am a little irritated about the
    > > Vcore set to 1,85v. The temp was abuot 67 degrees celcious, after
    > > playing for about 20min.
    > > Does this mean my xp3000 is locked or unlocked?
    >

    > Sounds like it's unlocked to me, since the native multiplier is 13x. The
    > Asus board lcaks the 5th multiplier bit, so multipliers below 13x are
    > unavailable, unless a particular L3 bridge is opened.
    >
    > Did you read the reply from Paul concerning VID modding ? Sounds like he
    > might have something there. It is also possible that a bridge on top of
    the
    > CPU is shorted or open when it shouldn't be. You might want to examine it
    > closely.

    Ok thanks :-) but what exactly am I looking for on top of the cpu? I only
    know that I bought the cpu from af computershop in town, so it's a new one.
    But who could be interrested in modding a cpu before sale?
    By the way all of the xp-cpu's I've had were all som kind of brown colour,
    but this one is dark-green, and the numbers are:

    AXDA3000DKV4D 9725537200532

    AQUCA 0321TPAW

    27493

    And all of the pictures that I found on the internet, og the xp3000 has the
    last number as: 27488, were my is 27493, what does that mean?

    John

    J.F.K wrote:
    > "S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> skrev i en meddelelse
    >> J.F.K wrote:
    >>> I've not yet tried the 1006 bios, but I've tried some overcloking,
    >>> why is it that I cant go below the multiplyer 13, but I can run
    >>> whitout problems at 13,5x and 14x... Even 14x170 (2380MHz), whitout
    >>> any probs.
    >>> This I tought was cool, but I still am a little irritated about the
    >>> Vcore set to 1,85v. The temp was abuot 67 degrees celcious, after
    >>> playing for about 20min.
    >>> Does this mean my xp3000 is locked or unlocked?
    >>

    >> Sounds like it's unlocked to me, since the native multiplier is 13x.
    >> The Asus board lcaks the 5th multiplier bit, so multipliers below
    >> 13x are unavailable, unless a particular L3 bridge is opened.
    >>
    >> Did you read the reply from Paul concerning VID modding ? Sounds
    >> like he might have something there. It is also possible that a
    >> bridge on top of the CPU is shorted or open when it shouldn't be.
    >> You might want to examine it closely.
    >>
    > Ok thanks :-) but what exactly am I looking for on top of the cpu? I
    > only know that I bought the cpu from af computershop in town, so it's
    > a new one. But who could be interrested in modding a cpu before sale?
    > By the way all of the xp-cpu's I've had were all som kind of brown
    > colour, but this one is dark-green, and the numbers are:
    >
    > AXDA3000DKV4D 9725537200532
    >
    > AQUCA 0321TPAW
    >
    > 27493
    >
    > And all of the pictures that I found on the internet, og the xp3000
    > has the last number as: 27488, were my is 27493, what does that mean?

    Your CPU is indeed a 333FSB AthlonXP 3000+ Barton with 512KB L2 cache,
    nominal 1.65V. Produced the 21st week of 2003. Stepping is AQUCA. I do not
    know the meaning of "27493".

    Examine the "bridges" on top of the CPU, with a magnifying glass. The L1 row
    ::::: will have burn marks where a laser cut the traces. This is what made
    your CPU unlocked. Take note of any scratches or excess thermal compound.
    Since you've removed the heatsink, you will need to clean the CPU and apply
    fresh paste.

    As Paul suggests, also examine the bottom of the CPU for signs of modding.
    ie traces of conductive pen; thin stands of wire, etc. Do the same to the
    white ZIF socket.

    FWIW, 2380MHz is a nice overclock. Chances are you would have needed 1.85V
    for stability anyway. Try 183MHz with a 13x multiplier if you have PC3200
    RAM, once your temperatures are under control; 67°C is a little too high,
    even under load.

    > J.F.K wrote:
    > > "S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> skrev i en meddelelse
    > >>

    > >> Sounds like it's unlocked to me, since the native multiplier is 13x.
    > >> The Asus board lcaks the 5th multiplier bit, so multipliers below
    > >> 13x are unavailable, unless a particular L3 bridge is opened.
    > >>
    > >> Did you read the reply from Paul concerning VID modding ? Sounds
    > >> like he might have something there. It is also possible that a
    > >> bridge on top of the CPU is shorted or open when it shouldn't be.
    > >> You might want to examine it closely.
    > >>
    > > Ok thanks :-) but what exactly am I looking for on top of the cpu? I
    > > only know that I bought the cpu from af computershop in town, so it's
    > > a new one. But who could be interrested in modding a cpu before sale?
    > > By the way all of the xp-cpu's I've had were all som kind of brown
    > > colour, but this one is dark-green, and the numbers are:
    > >
    > > AXDA3000DKV4D 9725537200532
    > >
    > > AQUCA 0321TPAW
    > >
    > > 27493
    > >
    > > And all of the pictures that I found on the internet, og the xp3000
    > > has the last number as: 27488, were my is 27493, what does that mean?
    >

    > Your CPU is indeed a 333FSB AthlonXP 3000+ Barton with 512KB L2 cache,
    > nominal 1.65V. Produced the 21st week of 2003. Stepping is AQUCA. I do not
    > know the meaning of "27493".
    >
    > Examine the "bridges" on top of the CPU, with a magnifying glass. The L1
    row
    > ::::: will have burn marks where a laser cut the traces. This is what made
    > your CPU unlocked. Take note of any scratches or excess thermal compound.
    > Since you've removed the heatsink, you will need to clean the CPU and
    apply
    > fresh paste.
    >
    > As Paul suggests, also examine the bottom of the CPU for signs of modding.
    > ie traces of conductive pen; thin stands of wire, etc. Do the same to the
    > white ZIF socket.
    >
    > FWIW, 2380MHz is a nice overclock. Chances are you would have needed 1.85V
    > for stability anyway. Try 183MHz with a 13x multiplier if you have PC3200
    > RAM, once your temperatures are under control; 67°C is a little too high,
    > even under load.

    I've just upgraded the bios to the original asus 1006, with the same command
    switches as before.
    But still the Vcore remains at 1,85v So I dont think I ever can get this
    fixed.
    Everything is running fine for now, at 13x185MHz (2405MHz) but I only have
    Samsung 2700 Ram, they run at 6:5.
    The benchmarks are pretty cool at this point. Just now I'm running
    3Dmark2001.
    How high do you think I can go with the fsb?
    And why do the xp3000 cpu's come in 2 different colours (brown & green)?

    John

    J.F.K wrote:
    > I've just upgraded the bios to the original asus 1006, with the same
    > command switches as before.
    > But still the Vcore remains at 1,85v So I dont think I ever can get
    > this fixed.
    > Everything is running fine for now, at 13x185MHz (2405MHz) but I only
    > have Samsung 2700 Ram, they run at 6:5.
    > The benchmarks are pretty cool at this point. Just now I'm running
    > 3Dmark2001.
    > How high do you think I can go with the fsb?
    > And why do the xp3000 cpu's come in 2 different colours (brown &
    > green)?

    For best results, you want the FSB in sync with memory speed, 1:1. That
    means using PC3200 or better.
    At the current ratio of 6:5, I can not see you reaching 200MHz *13, unless
    temperatures are kept lower.

    The different colours are a result of the manufacturing process and
    impurities added. Some will say colour is an indicator of how well a CPU
    will overclock.
    http://www.overclock.net/showthread.php?t=175
    Refer to "Die Colour"

    Personally, I doubt this wisdom. The stepping seems to be a better indicator
    of overclocking potential.

    > > By the way all of the xp-cpu's I've had were all som kind of brown
    > > colour, but this one is dark-green

    > The different colours are a result of the manufacturing process and
    > impurities added. Some will say colour is an indicator of how well a CPU
    > will overclock.
    > http://www.overclock.net/showthread.php?t=175
    > Refer to "Die Colour"
    >
    > Personally, I doubt this wisdom. The stepping seems to be a better
    indicator
    > of overclocking potential.

    I think you misunderstood me, I was not talking about the Die/Core, I was
    talking about PCB or what it's called, the plate on whitch the die it self
    is placed...
    I'm sorry for my bad english :-(

    John
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    J.F.K wrote:
    >>> By the way all of the xp-cpu's I've had were all som kind of brown
    >>> colour, but this one is dark-green
    >
    >> The different colours are a result of the manufacturing process and
    >> impurities added. Some will say colour is an indicator of how well a
    >> CPU will overclock.
    >> http://www.overclock.net/showthread.php?t=175
    >> Refer to "Die Colour"
    >>
    >> Personally, I doubt this wisdom. The stepping seems to be a better
    >> indicator of overclocking potential.
    >>
    > I think you misunderstood me, I was not talking about the Die/Core, I
    > was talking about PCB or what it's called, the plate on whitch the
    > die it self is placed...
    > I'm sorry for my bad english :-(

    It is I who should apologize for my misunderstanding. There's nothing at all
    wrong with your grasp of the English language.

    Earlier in the thread I wrote:
    "Examine the "bridges" on top of the CPU, with a magnifying glass. The L1
    row will have burn marks where a laser cut the traces. This is what made
    your CPU unlocked."

    This is incorrect. I meant to say, Examine the "bridges" on top of the CPU,
    with a magnifying glass. The L1 row will have burn marks where a laser cut
    the bridges. This is a _locked_ processor. Not so good. If no burn marks
    exist, you very likely have an _unlocked_ CPU, which is great.

    The green vs. brown colour of the processor is said to indicate which
    fabrication facility the processor was made. I've seen and used both. No
    difference in overclocking ability from what I've seen. Since you've taken
    your XP3000+ to 2405MHz, you have plenty to smile about.

    If you're looking to push it a little further, buy some PC3200 or faster.
    One 512MB module is fine, since using the dual channel configuration
    provides minimal performance increases. Then run the FSB and RAM 1:1, in
    sync.

Asus BIOS Heat Motherboards