P4C800-e deluxe: BIOS & "parenthesis" question

Hi again folks,

I am still trying to get the above m/b to read the floppy or cd drive .

Jjust noticed that in the BIOS Boot Device Priority Menu ( and other menus )
the drives are all listed ok but enclosed in square brackets with a note to
one side saying:

" a device enclosed in parenthesis has been disabled in the corresponding
type menu."

I THINK that parenthesis means the brackets. If so perhaps that's why the
devices do not respond.

However>>>>>>> The handbook screen shots all show devices on most menus
enclosed in these brackets so perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree !

thanks
--
Martin

please remove spam trap when replying directly
1 answer Last reply
More about p4c800 deluxe bios parenthesis question

    In article <c7l4c3$gsv$1@titan.btinternet.com>, "MartinF"
    <martin.foggnilspamplease@virgin.net> wrote:

    > Hi again folks,
    >
    > I am still trying to get the above m/b to read the floppy or cd drive .
    >
    > Jjust noticed that in the BIOS Boot Device Priority Menu ( and other menus )
    > the drives are all listed ok but enclosed in square brackets with a note to
    > one side saying:
    >
    > " a device enclosed in parenthesis has been disabled in the corresponding
    > type menu."
    >
    > I THINK that parenthesis means the brackets. If so perhaps that's why the
    > devices do not respond.
    >
    > However>>>>>>> The handbook screen shots all show devices on most menus
    > enclosed in these brackets so perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree !
    >
    > thanks

    In some Asus manuals, the pictures for the BIOS screens aren't up to
    date, or the text shown in the windows is erroneous. This is a
    selection menu, and the device shown in the brackets is selected.
    A device wouldn't be offered to you as an option, if the BIOS
    didn't think that it could attempt to access that hardware.

    When you look in the Main BIOS screen, where it says "Primary IDE
    Master" and "Primary IDE Slave" - do your drives show up there with
    their names correctly rendered ? To get those names, the BIOS
    has to fetch some words of data from the disk drive, so that would
    mean that the hardware is working a little bit.

    Perhaps you could give us a rundown of which interface has which
    drives on it. (I.e. How you installed the drives.) Something like:

    Primary IDE cable - Master - 20GB Hitachi 7X250
    Slave - Asus 48X CDROM
    Secondary IDE cable - Master - None
    Slave - None
    Floppy Drive - Panasonic Model xxx