P4C800-e deluxe: BIOS & "parenthesis" question

Hi again folks,

I am still trying to get the above m/b to read the floppy or cd drive .

Jjust noticed that in the BIOS Boot Device Priority Menu ( and other menus )
the drives are all listed ok but enclosed in square brackets with a note to
one side saying:

" a device enclosed in parenthesis has been disabled in the corresponding
type menu."

I THINK that parenthesis means the brackets. If so perhaps that's why the
devices do not respond.

However>>>>>>> The handbook screen shots all show devices on most menus
enclosed in these brackets so perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree !

thanks
--
Martin

please remove spam trap when replying directly

Paul

Splendid

In article <c7l4c3$gsv$1@titan.btinternet.com>, "MartinF"
<martin.foggnilspamplease@virgin.net> wrote:

> Hi again folks,
>
> I am still trying to get the above m/b to read the floppy or cd drive .
>
> Jjust noticed that in the BIOS Boot Device Priority Menu ( and other menus )
> the drives are all listed ok but enclosed in square brackets with a note to
> one side saying:
>
> " a device enclosed in parenthesis has been disabled in the corresponding
> type menu."
>
> I THINK that parenthesis means the brackets. If so perhaps that's why the
> devices do not respond.
>
> However>>>>>>> The handbook screen shots all show devices on most menus
> enclosed in these brackets so perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree !
>
> thanks

In some Asus manuals, the pictures for the BIOS screens aren't up to
date, or the text shown in the windows is erroneous. This is a
selection menu, and the device shown in the brackets is selected.
A device wouldn't be offered to you as an option, if the BIOS
didn't think that it could attempt to access that hardware.

When you look in the Main BIOS screen, where it says "Primary IDE
Master" and "Primary IDE Slave" - do your drives show up there with
their names correctly rendered ? To get those names, the BIOS
has to fetch some words of data from the disk drive, so that would
mean that the hardware is working a little bit.

Perhaps you could give us a rundown of which interface has which
drives on it. (I.e. How you installed the drives.) Something like:

Primary IDE cable - Master - 20GB Hitachi 7X250
Slave - Asus 48X CDROM
Secondary IDE cable - Master - None
Slave - None
Floppy Drive - Panasonic Model xxx