Sound card problem

May 6, 2004 1:17:42 PM

Hi, wondering if anyone can help.

I tried installing some new hardware (usb tv tuner/mpeg decoder) and it
didn't work, so I have uninstalled it and returned it.

BUT - now my sound card does not work at all and I get a variety of
'Sound Card Errors' in media player, winamp etc etc.

In Device manager, the card is there and it says 'This device is working
properly'. Under properties, it says 'The driver for this device is
enabled but has not been started'.

In Sound and audio devices, it says 'no audio device' and all the
controls are greyed out.

I have tried unistalling and re-installing the drivers for the sound
card and also for the media controller. I have also tried system
restore, but after reboot it says 'cannot restore system. No changes
were made to your computer'.

I am using a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 running XP Pro, and the sound
card is a 'Yamaha AC-XG sound device'.

Any ideas?
Thanks a lot for your help
Malcolm

More about : sound card problem

Anonymous
May 6, 2004 2:06:24 PM

Hi

and then reboot. Does Windows re-detect your sound card? If so you can
then install the software for it. Failing that, try the same via Safe
Mode - rebooting into XP normally.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"M Star" <malcolmgabon@yahoo.com> wrote in message

| Hi, wondering if anyone can help.
|
| I tried installing some new hardware (usb tv tuner/mpeg decoder) and it
| didn't work, so I have uninstalled it and returned it.
|
| BUT - now my sound card does not work at all and I get a variety of
| 'Sound Card Errors' in media player, winamp etc etc.
|
| In Device manager, the card is there and it says 'This device is working
| properly'. Under properties, it says 'The driver for this device is
| enabled but has not been started'.
|
| In Sound and audio devices, it says 'no audio device' and all the
| controls are greyed out.
|
| I have tried unistalling and re-installing the drivers for the sound
| card and also for the media controller. I have also tried system
| restore, but after reboot it says 'cannot restore system. No changes
| were made to your computer'.
|
| I am using a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 running XP Pro, and the sound
| card is a 'Yamaha AC-XG sound device'.
|
| Any ideas?
| Thanks a lot for your help
| Malcolm
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 2:30:59 PM

Will Denny wrote:
> Hi

> and then reboot. Does Windows re-detect your sound card? If so you can
> then install the software for it. Failing that, try the same via Safe
> Mode - rebooting into XP normally.

Hi, thanks for the advice. I did as you said and windows finds and
installs the sound card and media controller no problem. I then install
the latest drivers, but the problem still remains the same.

Any more ideas?

Malcolm
May 6, 2004 3:03:51 PM

Hi

Uninstall the latest drivers - can you use your sound card then?

--

| Will Denny wrote:
| > Hi

card
| > and then reboot. Does Windows re-detect your sound card? If so you can
| > then install the software for it. Failing that, try the same via Safe
| > Mode - rebooting into XP normally.
| >
| Hi, thanks for the advice. I did as you said and windows finds and
| installs the sound card and media controller no problem. I then install
| the latest drivers, but the problem still remains the same.
|
| Any more ideas?
|
| Malcolm
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 3:08:24 PM

Will Denny wrote:
> Hi
>
> Uninstall the latest drivers - can you use your sound card then?

No. It didn't work after windows detected it, and it still doesn't work
with the updated drivers.

Thanks
Malcolm
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 3:50:58 PM

Hi Malcolm

Try a System Restore back to a point before you installed the 'usb tv
tuner/mpeg decoder'. Failing that, go into Device Manager, delete *all*
references to USB devices and then reboot.

--

news:o oBJSI1MEHA.4036@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| Will Denny wrote:
| > Hi
| >
| > Uninstall the latest drivers - can you use your sound card then?
| >

| No. It didn't work after windows detected it, and it still doesn't work
| with the updated drivers.
|
| Thanks
| Malcolm
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 5:29:46 PM

Will Denny wrote:
> Hi Malcolm
>
> Try a System Restore back to a point before you installed the 'usb tv
> tuner/mpeg decoder'. Failing that, go into Device Manager, delete *all*
> references to USB devices and then reboot.
Hi Will,

System restore doesn't work - I've tried that already.

Can I please confirm what you mean by ALL usb devices? Including the
Universal host controllers and Root hubs?

Thanks for your help
Malcolm
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 6:27:09 PM

No, leave the usb devices intact. Turn your PC off and then replace the
sound card - clean the contacts - that works here if the card has become
'unseated' for some reason.

--

| Will Denny wrote:
| > Hi Malcolm
| >
| > Try a System Restore back to a point before you installed the 'usb tv
| > tuner/mpeg decoder'. Failing that, go into Device Manager, delete *all*
| > references to USB devices and then reboot.
| Hi Will,
|
| System restore doesn't work - I've tried that already.
|
| Can I please confirm what you mean by ALL usb devices? Including the
| Universal host controllers and Root hubs?
|
| Thanks for your help
| Malcolm
May 6, 2004 6:27:10 PM

Will,

It is a laptop and should use a Yamaha sound chips, how can he remove the sound card?

M Star,

Go to add or remove program to remove the Yamaha sound drivers.
Go to My Computer and disable the restore feature on all Harddisks.
Go to device manager and uninstall the Yamaha sound device.
Reboot the machine.
Go to Toshiba.com and download the Yamaha sound drivers and save it to a specific folder.
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modIte...
Go to device manager and enable the restore feature.
Open the folder and install the sound drivers.

Hope it helps.

Peter

!