Sound card problem

Hi, wondering if anyone can help.

I tried installing some new hardware (usb tv tuner/mpeg decoder) and it
didn't work, so I have uninstalled it and returned it.

BUT - now my sound card does not work at all and I get a variety of
'Sound Card Errors' in media player, winamp etc etc.

In Device manager, the card is there and it says 'This device is working
properly'. Under properties, it says 'The driver for this device is
enabled but has not been started'.

In Sound and audio devices, it says 'no audio device' and all the
controls are greyed out.

I have tried unistalling and re-installing the drivers for the sound
card and also for the media controller. I have also tried system
restore, but after reboot it says 'cannot restore system. No changes
were made to your computer'.

I am using a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 running XP Pro, and the sound
card is a 'Yamaha AC-XG sound device'.

Any ideas?
Thanks a lot for your help
Malcolm
8 answers Last reply
More about sound card problem

    Hi

    and then reboot. Does Windows re-detect your sound card? If so you can
    then install the software for it. Failing that, try the same via Safe
    Mode - rebooting into XP normally.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Will Denny wrote:
    > Hi

    > and then reboot. Does Windows re-detect your sound card? If so you can
    > then install the software for it. Failing that, try the same via Safe
    > Mode - rebooting into XP normally.

    Hi, thanks for the advice. I did as you said and windows finds and
    installs the sound card and media controller no problem. I then install
    the latest drivers, but the problem still remains the same.

    Any more ideas?

    Malcolm

    Hi

    Uninstall the latest drivers - can you use your sound card then?

    --

    Will Denny wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Uninstall the latest drivers - can you use your sound card then?

    No. It didn't work after windows detected it, and it still doesn't work
    with the updated drivers.

    Thanks
    Malcolm

    Hi Malcolm

    Try a System Restore back to a point before you installed the 'usb tv
    tuner/mpeg decoder'. Failing that, go into Device Manager, delete *all*
    references to USB devices and then reboot.

    --

    Will Denny wrote:
    > Hi Malcolm
    >
    > Try a System Restore back to a point before you installed the 'usb tv
    > tuner/mpeg decoder'. Failing that, go into Device Manager, delete *all*
    > references to USB devices and then reboot.
    Hi Will,

    System restore doesn't work - I've tried that already.

    Can I please confirm what you mean by ALL usb devices? Including the
    Universal host controllers and Root hubs?

    Thanks for your help
    Malcolm

    No, leave the usb devices intact. Turn your PC off and then replace the
    sound card - clean the contacts - that works here if the card has become
    'unseated' for some reason.

    --

    | Will Denny wrote:
    | > Hi Malcolm
    | >
    | > Try a System Restore back to a point before you installed the 'usb tv
    | > tuner/mpeg decoder'. Failing that, go into Device Manager, delete *all*
    | > references to USB devices and then reboot.
    | Hi Will,
    |
    | System restore doesn't work - I've tried that already.
    |
    | Can I please confirm what you mean by ALL usb devices? Including the
    | Universal host controllers and Root hubs?
    |
    | Thanks for your help
    | Malcolm

    Will,

    It is a laptop and should use a Yamaha sound chips, how can he remove the sound card?

    M Star,

    Go to add or remove program to remove the Yamaha sound drivers.
    Go to My Computer and disable the restore feature on all Harddisks.
    Go to device manager and uninstall the Yamaha sound device.
    Reboot the machine.
    Go to Toshiba.com and download the Yamaha sound drivers and save it to a specific folder.
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modItemList.jsp
    Go to device manager and enable the restore feature.
    Open the folder and install the sound drivers.

    Hope it helps.

    Peter

    ----- Will Denny wrote: -----

    No, leave the usb devices intact. Turn your PC off and then replace the
    sound card - clean the contacts - that works here if the card has become
    'unseated' for some reason.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "M Star" <malcolmgabon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | Will Denny wrote:
    | > Hi Malcolm
    | >
    | > Try a System Restore back to a point before you installed the 'usb tv
    | > tuner/mpeg decoder'. Failing that, go into Device Manager, delete *all*
    | > references to USB devices and then reboot.
    | Hi Will,
    |
    | System restore doesn't work - I've tried that already.
    |
    | Can I please confirm what you mean by ALL usb devices? Including the
    | Universal host controllers and Root hubs?
    |
    | Thanks for your help
    | Malcolm

Devices Sound Cards Windows XP