Blinking Power?

My system worked fine, a few gliches here and there but overall it had
been ok...for two weeks. At that time, my primary HDD, a maxtor 40g,
stopped working. Put it in another computer, it couldn't see it, so I
assumed it had just failed, and got another. Fast forward to today;
brought my system home for the summer, plugged it in and turned it on.
It looked ok for a second, then powered down with a blinking power
LED. WTF. Rebooted, came up ok except it didn't see the new hard
drive. Fiddled around with it, rebooted a few times, and it came up
ok. Got into windows (XP Pro, started doing some stuff, and then I got
a blue screen with something about KERNEL on it. WFT mark II.
Rebooted. Then I got a "disc read error" when it finished the
bios\promise bootup stuff. Rebooted, the same thing. Mucked about,
still no fix. Unplugged it, went to bed. Plugged it in this morning,
now I get that turn on, power up for 1 second, then power down with
the blinking power LED all the time.

Any help would be most appreciated. System spec's below:

Asus A7A133 (I'm pretty sure it's that one and not the A7V133 but I'll
post if I find out otherwise)
1 x 256 PC133
2 x WD 30g
1 x Dell scavanged 40g (the one with the disc read error...worked fine
before)
1 x SB Live! Value
1 x GeForce 4 mx (maddog variant)
1 x ATI TV PCI card
1 x Promise Ultra 100
1 x Linksys NIC

listed them all in case there's some off-the-wall conflict someone
knows aboot...

THANK YOU!!!!
thesonofkrypton@IHATESPAMSODONTSPAMMEearthlink.net

i'm wondering if this is a power supply issue....

jay cee

"TheSonOfKrypton" <TheSonOfKrypton@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> My system worked fine, a few gliches here and there but overall it had
> been ok...for two weeks. At that time, my primary HDD, a maxtor 40g,
> stopped working. Put it in another computer, it couldn't see it, so I
> assumed it had just failed, and got another. Fast forward to today;
> brought my system home for the summer, plugged it in and turned it on.
> It looked ok for a second, then powered down with a blinking power
> LED. WTF. Rebooted, came up ok except it didn't see the new hard
> drive. Fiddled around with it, rebooted a few times, and it came up
> ok. Got into windows (XP Pro, started doing some stuff, and then I got
> a blue screen with something about KERNEL on it. WFT mark II.
> Rebooted. Then I got a "disc read error" when it finished the
> bios\promise bootup stuff. Rebooted, the same thing. Mucked about,
> still no fix. Unplugged it, went to bed. Plugged it in this morning,
> now I get that turn on, power up for 1 second, then power down with
> the blinking power LED all the time.
>
> Any help would be most appreciated. System spec's below:
>
> Asus A7A133 (I'm pretty sure it's that one and not the A7V133 but I'll
> post if I find out otherwise)
> 1 x 256 PC133
> 2 x WD 30g
> 1 x Dell scavanged 40g (the one with the disc read error...worked fine
> before)
> 1 x SB Live! Value
> 1 x GeForce 4 mx (maddog variant)
> 1 x ATI TV PCI card
> 1 x Promise Ultra 100
> 1 x Linksys NIC
>
> listed them all in case there's some off-the-wall conflict someone
> knows aboot...
>

> THANK YOU!!!!
> thesonofkrypton@IHATESPAMSODONTSPAMMEearthlink.net

Try a power supply that actually works.

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 1xP3-500E, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

Moving system around = check seating of everything before you turn it on (if
it has a heavy heatsink then maybee you damaged the core or something else)

It sounds like you may have an underpowered and/or unstable power supply
unit that is burning out the circuitry of your harddrives.

--
DaveW