Just put together my first PC computer - YEA

The plan is to mirror the first 120G SATA onto the second identical drive for backup purposes. MB does not support RAID. Is there something within XP-Home that will allow me to mirror on a daily basis, or other software that will do the same thing? I did see another response where it was recommended to use the second drive for Media files and copy data files.

thank you,

Phil

You can manually mirror a harddrive yourself. You just need to get a disk
cloning utility like Symantec Ghost and then copy the first drive to the
second. However, this will not allow you to have thee PC automatically
switch over to the second drive if/when the first drive fails!

Y.

"Phil H" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just put together my first PC computer - YEA
>
> The plan is to mirror the first 120G SATA onto the second identical drive
for backup purposes. MB does not support RAID. Is there something within
XP-Home that will allow me to mirror on a daily basis, or other software
that will do the same thing? I did see another response where it was
recommended to use the second drive for Media files and copy data files.

> thank you,
>
> Phil

I understood it woould require manual intervention. I'm looking for a reasonably reliable backup method. I may just do a disk copy (not mirror) and continue using my tape back up for data. I made the decision to go with on board graphics, which eliminated the on board RAID. Considering I went from 98, AMD 233 to XP, 2.8G, 1G DDR, don't think I'll ever see graphics overhead :)

Buy a RAID card.

| I understood it woould require manual intervention. I'm
looking for a reasonably reliable backup method. I may
just do a disk copy (not mirror) and continue using my tape
back up for data. I made the decision to go with on board
graphics, which eliminated the on board RAID. Considering I
went from 98, AMD 233 to XP, 2.8G, 1G DDR, don't think I'll
ever see graphics overhead :)

norm

No provisions for mirroring in XP Home, don't know of any software
applications that do mirroring but I wouldn't recommend it even if they were
available, too much overhead. If you want to mirror buy a raid card and let
the hardware do the mirroring.

"Phil H" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just put together my first PC computer - YEA
>
> The plan is to mirror the first 120G SATA onto the second identical drive
for backup purposes. MB does not support RAID. Is there something within
XP-Home that will allow me to mirror on a daily basis, or other software
that will do the same thing? I did see another response where it was
recommended to use the second drive for Media files and copy data files.

> thank you,
>
> Phil

bar

You can use Power Quest's Drive image or Norton Ghost.

It will require that you manually run the process.

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"BAR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You can use Power Quest's Drive image or Norton Ghost.
>
> It will require that you manually run the process.

Drive image 7 runs from within windows XP. You can schedule the images to be
written to a second drive, internal or external, with no manual
intervention.
There is a performance hit while the process is running but the machine is
still useable. I schedule my backups to be made at lunch time :)

Richard.