Usb Storage Devices

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

We run a windows 2003 domain. Certain users on certain
computers are not able to install a usb key (usb memory
stick) without providing a administrative username and
password. Other computers it works fine. Any ideas

Are those users able to use the USB drive using an admin
account? Since those USB drives do pose a security risk,
perhaps all your computers should require a logon.
I presume that all your computers are using XP Pro,.

"Jason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:94da01c43373$863b5ef0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
| We run a windows 2003 domain. Certain users on certain
| computers are not able to install a usb key (usb memory
| stick) without providing a administrative username and
| password. Other computers it works fine. Any ideas

No admins are still prompted. it is machine specific. To
be more specific it is only happening with a certain
model of canon scanner. even if you move mouse or
keyboard to different port it prompts for credentials.

You were talking about flash drives (thumb drives) and now
you say scanner and speak of kybd and mouse... what is it
that you want to know?

| No admins are still prompted. it is machine specific. To
| be more specific it is only happening with a certain
| model of canon scanner. even if you move mouse or
| keyboard to different port it prompts for credentials.

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

i am looking for ideas why it would be prompting for a
username and password when you either insert a flash
drive or move keyboard/mouse to a different usb port.
Like I said the problem seems to be only on computers
with this certain canon scanner installed. I checked
permissions on the usbport and usbstor inf files and they
are the same as a machine that works (without prompting)
when using the same account.

Why not look on the Canon website for a FAQ since the
scanner seems to be the problem.

"Jason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:967801c43395$89d38160$a501280a@phx.gbl...
| i am looking for ideas why it would be prompting for a
| username and password when you either insert a flash
| drive or move keyboard/mouse to a different usb port.
| Like I said the problem seems to be only on computers
| with this certain canon scanner installed. I checked
| permissions on the usbport and usbstor inf files and they
| are the same as a machine that works (without prompting)
| when using the same account.

| >|

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Unfortunately that yielded nothing. Only talked about
scanner problems (related to operation).

Try Google.

Good Luck.

"Jason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:980a01c433a4$81a69e50$a001280a@phx.gbl...
| Unfortunately that yielded nothing. Only talked about
| scanner problems (related to operation).

| >|

| >| >|

On Thu, 6 May 2004 07:07:53 -0700, "Jason"

>We run a windows 2003 domain. Certain users on certain
>computers are not able to install a usb key (usb memory
>stick) without providing a administrative username and
>password. Other computers it works fine. Any ideas

What version of Windows are the clients using. Older versions
require USB drivers installed first (esp. 98/Me).
I would check Group Policy and make sure all drive letters are availa
to auto allocate drive letters to removable disks.

Peter Hutchison
Windows FAQ
http://www.pcguru.plus.com/