System Backups

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Group(s),

It's my first time in here, so please be gentle with me :-)

I have a friend who wants to to make regular(say monthly) backups of their
XP system (currently total space used on the disk is ~3Gb), and they've
asked my to make a few suggestions.

So we have a couple of questions:

- What is the best media to backup to?

The way I see it, the options are:
DVD-R
USB/Removable Hard Drive
Zip-Drive (or similar)
CD-R
Pen-Drive (USB solid state disk)
Floppy Disks (hmmm)

I have ruled out Floppy disks CD-Rs and Pen_Drives due to their small
capacity. USB-HardDrive doesn't really seem right for backups. Zip-Drive is
my favourite, but not sure I can justify one of those (and it would need to
be a large capacity one) just for the occasional backup.
So all things considered, it would seem that DVD-R could be the way to go,
and they would get a DVD player and probably CD-Writer in their system into
the bargin.

Which lead me on to the next question:

- Does XP(Home) have built-in backup software like Win2000 does? and if so
does it support backing up to DVD-R?

Could someone who knows, please give me the benefit of their experience and
let me know their thoughts on the above.

Thanks a lot,

ChrisM
13 answers Last reply
More about system backups
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hey Chris welcome to the forum.

    I think the best backup option your friend could choose would be the DVD
    media.
    Your friend has a capacity requirement that leave out some media like ZIP,
    CD, DISKETTES, ETC. An USB hard disk is not a bad choice but it's ideal for
    transporting data not for making backups because it's a very expensive
    option for do that.
    Using a DVD your friend can use DVD-R and DVD-RW disks and it makes more
    useful this choice and, once having the recorder, the most cheap one.

    I don't recommend to you making backups with a backup software because it
    makes the backup difficult for restoring and surely you can't use the media
    in other computer that doesn't have exactly the same backup utility.
    The DVD drive will come with a recording software like NERO or EASY CD, with
    any of these you can make easy backups simply comping files from the hard
    disk to the media. You don't need to go through complicated backup
    solutions, simply copy to DVD, keep the disc in a safe place, and you can
    read it from any machine without installing any hardware, software or
    driver. As simply as useful.
    Hope it helps.

    --
    Saludos
    Regards
    "ChrisM" <ask.me.if@you.need.it> escribió en el mensaje
    > Hi Group(s),
    >
    > It's my first time in here, so please be gentle with me :-)
    >
    > I have a friend who wants to to make regular(say monthly) backups of their
    > XP system (currently total space used on the disk is ~3Gb), and they've
    > asked my to make a few suggestions.
    >
    > So we have a couple of questions:
    >
    > - What is the best media to backup to?
    >
    > The way I see it, the options are:
    > DVD-R
    > USB/Removable Hard Drive
    > Zip-Drive (or similar)
    > CD-R
    > Pen-Drive (USB solid state disk)
    > Floppy Disks (hmmm)
    >
    > I have ruled out Floppy disks CD-Rs and Pen_Drives due to their small
    > capacity. USB-HardDrive doesn't really seem right for backups. Zip-Drive
    is
    > my favourite, but not sure I can justify one of those (and it would need
    > be a large capacity one) just for the occasional backup.
    > So all things considered, it would seem that DVD-R could be the way to go,
    > and they would get a DVD player and probably CD-Writer in their system
    into
    > the bargin.
    >
    > Which lead me on to the next question:
    >
    > - Does XP(Home) have built-in backup software like Win2000 does? and if
    so
    > does it support backing up to DVD-R?
    >
    > Could someone who knows, please give me the benefit of their experience
    and
    > let me know their thoughts on the above.
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    >
    > ChrisM

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    In news:%239teov3MEHA.1608@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    ChrisM <ask.me.if@you.need.it> typed:

    > I have a friend who wants to to make regular(say monthly)
    backups of
    > their XP system (currently total space used on the disk is
    ~3Gb), and
    > they've asked my to make a few suggestions.
    >
    > So we have a couple of questions:
    >
    > - What is the best media to backup to?

    Questions about "best" anything almost always get a variety of
    answers. My personal backup scheme uses two identical removable
    hard drives, which fit into a sleeve installed in the computer. I
    alternate between the two, and use Drive Image to make a complete
    copy of the primary drive.

    > Which lead me on to the next question:
    >
    > - Does XP(Home) have built-in backup software like Win2000
    does?

    Backup is installed automatically on XP Professional, but not on
    XP Home. If you have the complete XP Home CD, find backup on the
    CD, in \ValueAdd\MSFT\NTBACKUP and install it yourself by
    doubleclicking the file ntbackup.msi.

    If you don't have an XP CD, you can download ntbackup.msi at
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi

    Also see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302894

    > and
    > if so does it support backing up to DVD-R?

    No.

    Please reply to the newsgroup
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I backup using a removable ide drive. Large capacity(much more than dvd).
    Fast to transfer files and backup to.
    DVD's can get scratched or cracked and can be slow.
    Zip drive, not big enough and the disks can corrupt easier than a real hard
    drive.
    CD-R or CD-RW, not big enough, but good for small stuff if needed, but again
    can be damaged and can be slow.
    Pen and floppy, not big enough.

    I'd go removable IDE drive (or usb drive if you want).

    ChrisM wrote:
    > Hi Group(s),
    >
    > It's my first time in here, so please be gentle with me :-)
    >
    > I have a friend who wants to to make regular(say monthly) backups of
    > their XP system (currently total space used on the disk is ~3Gb), and
    > they've asked my to make a few suggestions.
    >
    > So we have a couple of questions:
    >
    > - What is the best media to backup to?
    >
    > The way I see it, the options are:
    > DVD-R
    > USB/Removable Hard Drive
    > Zip-Drive (or similar)
    > CD-R
    > Pen-Drive (USB solid state disk)
    > Floppy Disks (hmmm)
    >
    > I have ruled out Floppy disks CD-Rs and Pen_Drives due to their small
    > capacity. USB-HardDrive doesn't really seem right for backups.
    > Zip-Drive is my favourite, but not sure I can justify one of those
    > (and it would need to be a large capacity one) just for the
    > occasional backup.
    > So all things considered, it would seem that DVD-R could be the way
    > to go, and they would get a DVD player and probably CD-Writer in
    > their system into the bargin.
    >
    > Which lead me on to the next question:
    >
    > - Does XP(Home) have built-in backup software like Win2000 does? and
    > if so does it support backing up to DVD-R?
    >
    > Could someone who knows, please give me the benefit of their
    > experience and let me know their thoughts on the above.
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    >
    > ChrisM
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    One other thing. . .
    You might also ask your friend what he attempting to accomplish with his
    backups: Archival or Disaster Recovery (or both.) Archival means keeping
    versions of files in time. I have to archive my wife's files since she works
    from home and needs to see proposals in the format they were in months ago,
    not just the current format. If you need that, then non-overwritable media
    is your only choice. That includes complicated tape drives or simple
    DVD-R's. If you just need DR, then the removable HD's are a great option due
    to their speed and capacity.
    Often 50% of the stuff on your computer is programs files, not real data. I
    never back that stuff up. Try to keep all your data files in 1 location. I
    personally don't rely on backups to rebuild my system completely, just to
    restore my data.

    A final thought, you could look into one of those online-backup websites
    that offer you a few gigs of space for a monthly fee. Never tried it myself
    but others have and seem to like it. . .

    "ChrisM" <ask.me.if@you.need.it> wrote in message
    > Hi Group(s),
    >
    > It's my first time in here, so please be gentle with me :-)
    >
    > I have a friend who wants to to make regular(say monthly) backups of their
    > XP system (currently total space used on the disk is ~3Gb), and they've
    > asked my to make a few suggestions.
    >
    > So we have a couple of questions:
    >
    > - What is the best media to backup to?
    >
    > The way I see it, the options are:
    > DVD-R
    > USB/Removable Hard Drive
    > Zip-Drive (or similar)
    > CD-R
    > Pen-Drive (USB solid state disk)
    > Floppy Disks (hmmm)
    >
    > I have ruled out Floppy disks CD-Rs and Pen_Drives due to their small
    > capacity. USB-HardDrive doesn't really seem right for backups. Zip-Drive
    is
    > my favourite, but not sure I can justify one of those (and it would need
    > be a large capacity one) just for the occasional backup.
    > So all things considered, it would seem that DVD-R could be the way to go,
    > and they would get a DVD player and probably CD-Writer in their system
    into
    > the bargin.
    >
    > Which lead me on to the next question:
    >
    > - Does XP(Home) have built-in backup software like Win2000 does? and if
    so
    > does it support backing up to DVD-R?
    >
    > Could someone who knows, please give me the benefit of their experience
    and
    > let me know their thoughts on the above.
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    >
    > ChrisM

    Ken,

    Is drive Image part of XP or aftermarket program?

    Thank you
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Juan,

    Thanks for your answer. Look like DVD-R may be the way to go then.

    However, I'm a little surprised that you don't recomend using backup
    software.
    If I was to use XPs built in back-up software (if it exists) that would seem
    to me to be a better solution as I'm not sure just copying the files using
    Nero etc. would be sufficient (would it pick up all the hidden and system
    files that the OS uses?), she want to be able to completly restore her whole
    system from scratch if the system ever dies. (ie install a plain copy of XP,
    then restore her system as it was backed up) I would have thought 'proper'
    backup software would be better for that, but I'm no expert...

    Anyway, thanks again for your help, it has been really useful.

    Cheers,

    ChrisM.

    "Juan Pablo Barrios [uy]" <aaaaa@bbbb.ccc> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > capacity. USB-HardDrive doesn't really seem right for backups. Zip-Drive
    > is
    > > my favourite, but not sure I can justify one of those (and it would need
    > > be a large capacity one) just for the occasional backup.
    > > So all things considered, it would seem that DVD-R could be the way to
    go,
    > > and they would get a DVD player and probably CD-Writer in their system
    > into
    > > the bargin.
    > >
    > > Which lead me on to the next question:
    > >
    > > - Does XP(Home) have built-in backup software like Win2000 does? and if
    > so
    > > does it support backing up to DVD-R?
    > >
    > > Could someone who knows, please give me the benefit of their experience
    > and
    > > let me know their thoughts on the above.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Buy a 2nd hard drive, they are dirt cheap, fast and reliable. Get something
    like Drive Image and make regular image backups to the 2nd disk. Also keep
    another copy of your data files on the 2nd disk and in case of a failure
    your always covered.

    "ChrisM" <ask.me.if@you.need.it> wrote in message
    > Hi Group(s),
    >
    > It's my first time in here, so please be gentle with me :-)
    >
    > I have a friend who wants to to make regular(say monthly) backups of their
    > XP system (currently total space used on the disk is ~3Gb), and they've
    > asked my to make a few suggestions.
    >
    > So we have a couple of questions:
    >
    > - What is the best media to backup to?
    >
    > The way I see it, the options are:
    > DVD-R
    > USB/Removable Hard Drive
    > Zip-Drive (or similar)
    > CD-R
    > Pen-Drive (USB solid state disk)
    > Floppy Disks (hmmm)
    >
    > I have ruled out Floppy disks CD-Rs and Pen_Drives due to their small
    > capacity. USB-HardDrive doesn't really seem right for backups. Zip-Drive
    is
    > my favourite, but not sure I can justify one of those (and it would need
    > be a large capacity one) just for the occasional backup.
    > So all things considered, it would seem that DVD-R could be the way to go,
    > and they would get a DVD player and probably CD-Writer in their system
    into
    > the bargin.
    >
    > Which lead me on to the next question:
    >
    > - Does XP(Home) have built-in backup software like Win2000 does? and if
    so
    > does it support backing up to DVD-R?
    >
    > Could someone who knows, please give me the benefit of their experience
    and
    > let me know their thoughts on the above.
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    >
    > ChrisM

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    In news:jmumc.6474$2f6.206670@twister.tampabay.rr.com,
    Norm <nospam@spammer.com> typed:

    > Buy a 2nd hard drive, they are dirt cheap, fast and reliable.
    Get
    > something like Drive Image and make regular image backups to
    the 2nd
    > disk. Also keep another copy of your data files on the 2nd
    disk and
    > in case of a failure your always covered.

    That's a good approach, but I would add that for really effective
    backup, the second hard needs to be removable. Backup to a
    permanently mounted second hard drive leaves you vulnerable to
    simultaneous loss of the original and backup to many of the most
    common dangers that can affect you: virus attacks, nearby
    lightning strikes, severe power glitches, even theft of the
    computer.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "ChrisM" <ask.me.if@you.need.it> wrote in message
    >> Hi Group(s),
    >>
    >> It's my first time in here, so please be gentle with me :-)
    >>
    >> I have a friend who wants to to make regular(say monthly)
    backups of
    >> their XP system (currently total space used on the disk is
    ~3Gb),
    >> and they've asked my to make a few suggestions.
    >>
    >> So we have a couple of questions:
    >>
    >> - What is the best media to backup to?
    >>
    >> The way I see it, the options are:
    >> DVD-R
    >> USB/Removable Hard Drive
    >> Zip-Drive (or similar)
    >> CD-R
    >> Pen-Drive (USB solid state disk)
    >> Floppy Disks (hmmm)
    >>
    >> I have ruled out Floppy disks CD-Rs and Pen_Drives due to
    their small
    >> capacity. USB-HardDrive doesn't really seem right for backups.
    >> Zip-Drive is my favourite, but not sure I can justify one of
    those
    >> (and it would need to be a large capacity one) just for the
    >> occasional backup.
    >> So all things considered, it would seem that DVD-R could be
    the way
    >> to go, and they would get a DVD player and probably CD-Writer
    in
    >> their system into the bargin.
    >>
    >> Which lead me on to the next question:
    >>
    >> - Does XP(Home) have built-in backup software like Win2000
    does?
    >> and if so does it support backing up to DVD-R?
    >>
    >> Could someone who knows, please give me the benefit of their
    >> experience and let me know their thoughts on the above.
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot,
    >>
    >> ChrisM
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Thu, 6 May 2004 10:19:43 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
    <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

    >In news:jmumc.6474$2f6.206670@twister.tampabay.rr.com,
    >Norm <nospam@spammer.com> typed:
    >
    >> Buy a 2nd hard drive, they are dirt cheap, fast and reliable.
    >Get
    >> something like Drive Image and make regular image backups to
    >the 2nd
    >> disk. Also keep another copy of your data files on the 2nd
    >disk and
    >> in case of a failure your always covered.
    >

    >That's a good approach, but I would add that for really effective
    >backup, the second hard needs to be removable. Backup to a
    >permanently mounted second hard drive leaves you vulnerable to
    >simultaneous loss of the original and backup to many of the most
    >common dangers that can affect you: virus attacks, nearby
    >lightning strikes, severe power glitches, even theft of the
    >computer.

    I agree with Mr. Blake but would also add that any removable device
    such as a hard drive should be recognized by the software you intend
    to use. Other advice you were given re: True Image is generally sound
    since it does recognize and is able to read\write to external USB 2.0
    hard drives. The nice thing about True Image is that it can
    read\write to most USB 2.0 devices outside of Windows. Go to the
    Acronis web site and read their FAQ. www.acronis.com

    Could be wrong, but it would seem to be after market:

    http://www.powerquest.com/driveimage/

    Regards,

    ChrisM

    "Phil H" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ken,
    >
    > Is drive Image part of XP or aftermarket program?
    >
    > Thank you
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi again,

    Thanks a lot for your input everyone, it has been very interesting.
    I have spoken to my friend, and there are a couple of things they 'forgot to
    mention'

    1) I only have a budget of around £80,
    2) They don't want any external bits hanging around

    I think my strategy is going to have to be the following:
    TrueImage (or somthing similar) creating disk images and saving them to
    DVD/CDR
    Not an ideal solution from the comments above, but the new conditions make
    the backup to external HDD pretty much un-viable (they are external,
    violates rule 2, should really have at least 2 for safety so would probably
    exceed budget) , so backup to DVD would seem to be my best bet..

    Another thing that occurs to me, most external devices seem to be USB-2. Not
    sure that the PC even has that, though I haven't checked yet. It is a HP
    Pavillion 6620 (Several years old now).
    Anyone know how to tell the difference?

    Anyone think I've got it badly wrong?

    Cheers,

    ChrisM

    "ChrisM" <ask.me.if@you.need.it> wrote in message
    > Hi Group(s),
    >
    > It's my first time in here, so please be gentle with me :-)
    >
    > I have a friend who wants to to make regular(say monthly) backups of their
    > XP system (currently total space used on the disk is ~3Gb), and they've
    > asked my to make a few suggestions.
    >
    > So we have a couple of questions:
    >
    > - What is the best media to backup to?
    >
    > The way I see it, the options are:
    > DVD-R
    > USB/Removable Hard Drive
    > Zip-Drive (or similar)
    > CD-R
    > Pen-Drive (USB solid state disk)
    > Floppy Disks (hmmm)
    >
    > I have ruled out Floppy disks CD-Rs and Pen_Drives due to their small
    > capacity. USB-HardDrive doesn't really seem right for backups. Zip-Drive
    is
    > my favourite, but not sure I can justify one of those (and it would need
    > be a large capacity one) just for the occasional backup.
    > So all things considered, it would seem that DVD-R could be the way to go,
    > and they would get a DVD player and probably CD-Writer in their system
    into
    > the bargin.
    >
    > Which lead me on to the next question:
    >
    > - Does XP(Home) have built-in backup software like Win2000 does? and if
    so
    > does it support backing up to DVD-R?
    >
    > Could someone who knows, please give me the benefit of their experience
    and
    > let me know their thoughts on the above.
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    >
    > ChrisM

    after trying most free backup progs i decided to try
    norton ghost 2003 which works fine,but i have replaced
    that with a better one that is easier to access,,i now use
    acronis true image 7 and backup my pc to a partition on my
    hard drive,which makes reinstalling quicker(about 10 mins)
    the program itself will write to DVD+RW but this can be
    overcome by useing your burning software to send a true
    image backup you have created to DVD-RW,for keeping a
    removable image,all images can be accessed from boot using
    the created disc from acronis software,DVD-/+rw is really
    the only option for removable storage,the others you
    mentioned are to small,and would require a lot of disc
    swapping etc

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On Thu, 6 May 2004 16:12:36 +0100, "ChrisM" <ask.me.if@you.need.it>
    wrote:

    >Hi Group(s),
    >
    >It's my first time in here, so please be gentle with me :-)
    >
    >I have a friend who wants to to make regular(say monthly) backups of their
    >XP system (currently total space used on the disk is ~3Gb), and they've
    >asked my to make a few suggestions.

    >Which lead me on to the next question:
    >
    > - Does XP(Home) have built-in backup software like Win2000 does? and if so
    >does it support backing up to DVD-R?

    NTBackup does not support CDR/CDRW/DVD+/-R or DVD/RW. Only disk or
    tape.

    >Could someone who knows, please give me the benefit of their experience and
    >let me know their thoughts on the above.

    I use Retrospec Pro Backup and you can order and download it from
    http:/www.dantz.com. Its excellent and supports any drives that your
    OS supports incl. CDR/DVD etc.

    Peter Hutchison
    Windows FAQ