Burn component (Q734) on ASUS P4P800-VM

Hi

I have an Asus motherboard P4P800, unfortunately one of the component
is burn.

I can see the component Q734 is burn (Q734 is located close to the
battery).

I believe the component is a voltage regulator, house TO-263, can any
can give me some more information about this component, so I can
replaced with a correct one.

Paul

Splendid

In article <4e988155.0405110112.dc0eee8@posting.google.com>,
bravnborg@mobilixnet.dk (arne) wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have an Asus motherboard P4P800, unfortunately one of the component
> is burn.
>
> I can see the component Q734 is burn (Q734 is located close to the
> battery).
>
> I believe the component is a voltage regulator, house TO-263, can any
> can give me some more information about this component, so I can
> replaced with a correct one.

Are you referring to the parts marked "9918H" ?
I'm looking at the picture in the manual, and I see three of
them. Two of them look to be part of a switching regulator,
consisting of two MOSFETs, and two toroidal inductors.
That switcher would be making +2.5V for the DIMMs.
The third transistor, possibly the one you are referring to,
is probably a MOSFET being used as a series pass element
of a linear regulator. That might be making 1.8V or 1.5V etc
from the output of the +2.5V switcher. If the output of
that series pass got shorted, that might account for it
getting burnt. (That must have scorched the PCB as well.)

I tried looking for 9918H, but so far I am unable to identify
the logo or the part itself. As I'm not a power supply designer,
I don't know the names of all the MOSFET vendors, to be able
to figure out who makes that part. The logo looks like a
circle with the letter A and P inside the circle. The pictures
in the manual have limited resolution, so it is hard
to tell for sure.

I tried Newark, Mouser, and Digikey, and no sign of a 9918.
I'll keep looking...

HTH,
Paul

Yes i am referring to the parts marked 9918, i have also located 3 of them.
The one there are burn is located between the battery and capacitor

Paul

Splendid

In article <4e988155.0405110112.dc0eee8@posting.google.com>,
bravnborg@mobilixnet.dk (arne) wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have an Asus motherboard P4P800, unfortunately one of the component
> is burn.
>
> I can see the component Q734 is burn (Q734 is located close to the
> battery).
>
> I believe the component is a voltage regulator, house TO-263, can any
> can give me some more information about this component, so I can
> replaced with a correct one.

I believe the part is made by this company - the part number is
AP9918H. But I cannot get information on the product, as this
web site seems to be down for me right now.

http://www.a-power.com.tw

The Wayback machine (http://web.archive.org) claims to have
archived copies of the APEC site, but the latest archived pages
won't render for me. On one of the pages that would render,
the closest part number listed was AP9916H, and its particulars
are:

AP9916H (not your part, of course)
NMOS, Low gate drive
TO-252(D-PAK)
BVdss (breakdown voltage) 18V
Rds_on 0.025 ohm at Vgs 4.5V
Rds_on 0.035 ohm at Vgs 2.5V
Since Vgs 10V isn't listed, the device is a "logic gate" style part.
Id = 35A max Pd = 50W (ridiculous power rating)

The 9918H will probably have superior numbers to this device, with
an increment to the current rating likely. A Copernic teaser entry
says it is a 20V part, with Rds_on of 0.014 ohm, but doesn't list
the current rating. For switching applications, I would want to
know the gate capacitance, before attempting a substitute.

In any case, try the www.a-power.com.tw site later, and see
if it works for you.

HTH,
Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <4e988155.0405112352.1c5681f3@posting.google.com>,
bravnborg@mobilixnet.dk (arne) wrote:

> Yes i am referring to the parts marked 9918, i have also located 3 of them.
> The one there are burn is located between the battery and capacitor

This thread:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=34556

mentions this page as a source of data on the 9918H.
http://www.a-power.com.tw/products_05.htm

I'm still waiting for the web site to be accessable.

Paul

Thank you for the help

i found following information on the homepage you was referring to

AP9918H
NMOS, Low gate drive
TO-252(D-PAK)
BVdss (breakdown voltage) 20V
Rds_on 0.014 ohm at Vgs 4.5V
Rds_on 0.028 ohm at Vgs 2.5V
Id = 45A max Pd = 48W

APEC isn't providing a lot of information, but i hope i can replace it
with FDD6690A from fairchild.

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FD%2FFDD6690A.pdf

Paul

Splendid

In article <4e988155.0405130331.3ac38149@posting.google.com>,
bravnborg@mobilixnet.dk (arne) wrote:

> Thank you for the help
>
> i found following information on the homepage you was referring to
>
> AP9918H
> NMOS, Low gate drive
> TO-252(D-PAK)
> BVdss (breakdown voltage) 20V
> Rds_on 0.014 ohm at Vgs 4.5V
> Rds_on 0.028 ohm at Vgs 2.5V
> Id = 45A max Pd = 48W
>
> APEC isn't providing a lot of information, but i hope i can replace it
> with FDD6690A from fairchild.
>

> http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FD%2FFDD6690A.pdf

If you download a MOSFET for DCDC converters brochure, then
perhaps another selection would be better. The thing that worries
me about the original device, is the low gate turn on voltage.

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/collateral/dc_dcselection.pdf

If you look at some of the other devices, they have entries for
Vgs = 2.5V and Vgs = 4.5V, but none for Vgs = 10V. Like the
original device, they are designed to turn on with what are termed
"logic voltages". Let us assume for the moment that this is
a series pass linear regulator, and the op amp controlling the
MOSFET runs from +5V. Then the op-amp cannot produce a 10 volt
Vgs to fully turn on an ordinary MOSFET. It is possible Asus is
using the characteristic low turn on voltage, to keep the
op-amp based series regulator, in proper feedback.

The problem with substituting something in an already working design
is, you get no chances for mistakes. In a real design environment,
you would be prototyping the power section of the motherboard
as a separate circuit on a test board. You could then insert the
substitute device and run an analysis on the results for stability
and correct operation. You really don't want any expensive devices
connected to the power circuit while you are testing it.

This is basically the same problem as Volt Modding. A Volt Modder
thinks that they have the correct component value for a mod, but
all it takes is one slip up, and the devices connected to the voltage
regulator can be damaged.

If I was attempting this job (and I did select replacement
MOSFETS for my P2B-S, but never used them), I would want a
data sheet for the A-Power device, so I could compare more of
the aspects of the device. Also, I would want to examine the
circuitry driving the MOSFETS. I think there is an 8 pin
device, which has just enough pins to control a PWM regulator
circuit. That uses two of the MOSFETS. The third MOSFET
could be control by a quad op amp. Tracing down the power
source for the circuit controlling the linear regulator,
will tell you what output voltage range it can produce.
Based on how close to the rails the op-amp can swing, and
the voltage the op-amp has to work with, helps determine
whether a high or a low gate voltage MOSFET will work.

For the PWM regulator, getting the datasheet and examining
the reference application circuit, will help determine
what aspects of the 9918 were used for that application.
That is only important if one of those MOSFETs is damaged.

With some of these foreign companies, you might have to
write an email to the company, to get them to send you
a datasheet. The A-Power web site is such a mess, I cannot
imagine them being able to operate an FTP site. It seems
no matter where in the world you go, there are electronics
manufacturers crying for good web site design.

Also notice that, on the Fairchild web site, A-Power
isn't even acknowledged as a competitor.

HTH,
Paul