free disk space reported incorrectly

after a period of intensive use, my relatively new laptop started reporting free hard disk space incorrectly. what's supposed to be only 1GB usage turned out 18.6GB and there's only 2GBs left! consulted WinXP's knowledge base already --- no i don't have Norton installed and i really couldn't understand and i'm wary of trying out the NTFS thing (for risk of altering some system files). also tried the System Restore option at Disk Cleanup and it still couldn't fix the problem

is this another kind of bug? pls help!

Windows Swap file (default 1.5 - 2 times physical RAM)
hiberfile.sys (if hibernation is enabled)
Temporary Internet Files (user configurable through IE)

Bobby

"kurama" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> after a period of intensive use, my relatively new laptop started
> reporting free hard disk space incorrectly. what's supposed to be only
> 1GB usage turned out 18.6GB and there's only 2GBs left! consulted WinXP's
> knowledge base already --- no i don't have Norton installed and i really
> couldn't understand and i'm wary of trying out the NTFS thing (for risk of
> altering some system files). also tried the System Restore option at Disk
> Cleanup and it still couldn't fix the problem
>
> is this another kind of bug? pls help!

Well XP is going to take up nearly 3gb all by itself, so I'm not sure where
you got 1gb from....

What other applications do you run on your notebook?

--
Cari
www.coribright.com
"kurama" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> after a period of intensive use, my relatively new laptop started
> reporting free hard disk space incorrectly. what's supposed to be only
> 1GB usage turned out 18.6GB and there's only 2GBs left! consulted WinXP's
> knowledge base already --- no i don't have Norton installed and i really
> couldn't understand and i'm wary of trying out the NTFS thing (for risk of
> altering some system files). also tried the System Restore option at Disk
> Cleanup and it still couldn't fix the problem
>
> is this another kind of bug? pls help!

"kurama" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> after a period of intensive use, my relatively new laptop started
reporting free hard disk space incorrectly. what's supposed to be only 1GB
usage turned out 18.6GB and there's only 2GBs left! consulted WinXP's
knowledge base already --- no i don't have Norton installed and i really
couldn't understand and i'm wary of trying out the NTFS thing (for risk of
altering some system files). also tried the System Restore option at Disk
Cleanup and it still couldn't fix the problem

> is this another kind of bug? pls help!

Sequoia View is an excellent free and clean utility for tracking down
mysterious missing drive space.

It gives a one window graphical representation of which files are taking up
how much room where on a given drive. (including files Windows is reluctant
to reveal)

It's even kind of fun to use. :)

http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.