New system build; is P4C800-E a good choice?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Okay, after spending the past 2 weeks perusing the internet looking at
875 chipset motherboards, I think I've narrowed my decision to two
boards, the Abit IC7-G and the Asus P4C800-E. I'm leaning towards the
Asus simply because it appears to be the more stable board in stock
configuration (I don't overclock, at least yet), the amount of support
from this NG seems awesome (as we all know, Asus' support is DOA), and
in my P3 system I'm running a TUSL-2C, and have never had a problem with
it.

Some of my new system specs will be;

P-4 3.2ghz Northwood
1 GB of someone's RAM ???
160GB Western Digital HD 8MB
Audigy 2
ATI 9800 PRO

Question 1; I also have never gotten into a "raid" array or "striping"
drives, I only plan to use the WD 160GB drive. I'm assuming it won't be
a problem, however, since everything appears to be geared toward raid,
will I have problems setting up the HD?

Question 2; Is there a place on Asus' website that gives memory
compatibility? I'm thinking of using 1 GB of Corsair XMS RAM, but don't
know if I should use PC3200, 3500 or 4000. Why can't things be easy like
when I bought 256MB of PC133 SDRAM?

Question 3; I want to use the Audigy 2 card in place of the onboard
sound. How hard is it to disable onboard sound? On the Abit, the board
automatically recognizes the add in sound card and disables onboard
sound all by itself.

Thanks for everyone's help in advance. It's one of the reason's I'm
leaning toward the Asus board in the first place.

Paul
14 answers Last reply
More about system build p4c800 good choice
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Paul <tbirdman@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
    > Okay, after spending the past 2 weeks perusing the internet looking at
    > 875 chipset motherboards, I think I've narrowed my decision to two
    > boards, the Abit IC7-G and the Asus P4C800-E. I'm leaning towards the
    > Asus simply because it appears to be the more stable board in stock
    > configuration (I don't overclock, at least yet), the amount of support
    > from this NG seems awesome (as we all know, Asus' support is DOA), and
    > in my P3 system I'm running a TUSL-2C, and have never had a problem with
    > it.


    Intel is supposed to release new LGA775 chips and I'm assuming Asus will
    start shipping the matching motherboards soon after. Even if you don't want
    the LGA775 socket it might make sense to wait the seven weeks or so.

    Nick
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Paul <nospam@needed.com> wrote:
    > In article <48g7n1-0ki.ln1@barley.dyndns.org>, Nick Zentena
    > <zentena@hophead.dyndns.org> wrote:

    >
    > Why would you want an LGA socket ?


    The day the LGA gets released the 478 stuff becomes old tech. No use
    paying extra for a 875 chipset when in seven weeks it'll be on it's way
    out. You can also forget much in the way of new chips for the 478. Like I
    said it doesn't matter if you want the LGA chip. Waiting can save some
    money. It's not like waiting forever. The new chip and it's chipsets are
    supposedly very close.

    Nick
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    And if I do purchase the P4C800-E, is there any noticeable difference
    between the OEM and retail versions?

    Thanks again,
    Paul
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Paul <tbirdman@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
    > And if I do purchase the P4C800-E, is there any noticeable difference
    > between the OEM and retail versions?


    In my expierence the retail versions can be better.

    Nick
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 13:06:16 -0500, Nick Zentena
    <zentena@hophead.dyndns.org> wrote:

    >Paul <tbirdman@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
    >> And if I do purchase the P4C800-E, is there any noticeable difference
    >> between the OEM and retail versions?
    >
    >
    > In my expierence the retail versions can be better.
    >
    > Nick

    With OEM, you will get just the board and nothing else. You will have
    to download your own drivers and manual from Asus, not a prob if you
    already have a broadband connection available. You will have to
    supply all your own cables, and the one thing that was a bit of pain
    was no EMF backplate for the rear ports. You can scrounge or get them
    at auction, eBay et al., but it costs there. ElectroMagnetic
    Frequency interference may not be a huge issue for you, but I find
    dust is. Could use just cardboard I guess but the cutouts have to be
    just so, or just let it go open and blow out the dust periodically.
    Aslo the OEMs are often refurbed. They never gave me heartburn, but
    YMMV.

    TC
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 12:48:20 -0500, Nick Zentena
    <zentena@hophead.dyndns.org> wrote:

    >Paul <tbirdman@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
    >> Okay, after spending the past 2 weeks perusing the internet looking at
    >> 875 chipset motherboards, I think I've narrowed my decision to two
    >> boards, the Abit IC7-G and the Asus P4C800-E. I'm leaning towards the
    >> Asus simply because it appears to be the more stable board in stock
    >> configuration (I don't overclock, at least yet), the amount of support
    >> from this NG seems awesome (as we all know, Asus' support is DOA), and
    >> in my P3 system I'm running a TUSL-2C, and have never had a problem with
    >> it.
    >
    >
    > Intel is supposed to release new LGA775 chips and I'm assuming Asus will
    >start shipping the matching motherboards soon after. Even if you don't want
    >the LGA775 socket it might make sense to wait the seven weeks or so.
    >
    > Nick
    Be AWARE, the LGA775 is a drastic change for motherbd makers. The
    PINS for the processor are on the MB, not the processor, screw
    up/bend/break 1 pin and MB becomes worthless. The hardware costs to
    the MB makers is considerable $5-$7, considering the cost of the MB it
    self. PLUS there are reports of corrupt sockets plaguing the makers
    too. U may want to stick with current technology, and the P4C800-E
    Deluxe is a killer MB...
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Hi,

    Take a look at this:

    http://www.theregister.com/2004/05/07/intel_kills_tejas/

    I wouldn't bet on anything Intel at the moment having any particular product
    life.
    Prescott is up to where? 3.2 or 3.4 GHz? It won't become significant until
    it gets to 4GHz = 20% improvement which is not worth the effort of
    manufacturing - and at this rate may never get much past that.

    Paul: Also Nick's point can be read another way: current P4 prices will
    shift down when new chips are released - a lower cost system for you. IE
    stick with a P4 2.8 / 3 / 3.2c if you can get a 'c' chip - less heat and the
    newer chips offer no performance improvement worth paying for at this time.

    - Tim


    "Nick Zentena" <zentena@hophead.dyndns.org> wrote in message
    news:95q7n1-69j.ln1@barley.dyndns.org...
    > Paul <nospam@needed.com> wrote:
    >> In article <48g7n1-0ki.ln1@barley.dyndns.org>, Nick Zentena
    >> <zentena@hophead.dyndns.org> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Why would you want an LGA socket ?
    >
    >
    > The day the LGA gets released the 478 stuff becomes old tech. No use
    > paying extra for a 875 chipset when in seven weeks it'll be on it's way
    > out. You can also forget much in the way of new chips for the 478. Like I
    > said it doesn't matter if you want the LGA chip. Waiting can save some
    > money. It's not like waiting forever. The new chip and it's chipsets are
    > supposedly very close.
    >
    > Nick
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    OEM usually carries a much shorter warranty I believe as well as not having
    a bunch of stuff you'll need anyways. Go retail! I got the P4C800-E Deluxe
    motherboard and love it so far. Had some issues with my Mushkin memory but
    they resolved it very quickly and I was very impressed. The would recommend
    them for that reason. I haven't gotten around to playing with overclocking.


    "Paul" <tbirdman@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message
    news:40A111D8.90004@bellatlantic.net...
    > And if I do purchase the P4C800-E, is there any noticeable difference
    > between the OEM and retail versions?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Paul
    >
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 17:32:01 GMT, Paul <tbirdman@bellatlantic.net>
    wrote:


    ||
    ||Question 2; Is there a place on Asus' website that gives memory
    ||compatibility? I'm thinking of using 1 GB of Corsair XMS RAM, but don't
    ||know if I should use PC3200, 3500 or 4000. Why can't things be easy like
    ||when I bought 256MB of PC133 SDRAM?
    ||

    I use this ram with my P4C800-E Deluxe : Model#: TWINX1024-3200C2PT
    http://tinyurl.com/22jbr I've had no problems at all even though its
    not listed in the mobos manual. Highly recommend.

    ||Question 3; I want to use the Audigy 2 card in place of the onboard
    ||sound. How hard is it to disable onboard sound? On the Abit, the board
    ||automatically recognizes the add in sound card and disables onboard
    ||sound all by itself.
    ||

    To disable the on-board sound its as simple as hitting DEL at boot to
    get to the bios and then switching the on-board sound to disable. Its
    at the top of the screen first entry on one of the tabs. (forget which
    exactly.. you'll find it)

    ||Thanks for everyone's help in advance. It's one of the reason's I'm
    ||leaning toward the Asus board in the first place.
    ||
    ||Paul


    Pluvious
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Pluvious,
    Thanks for the great info!!!

    Paul
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 13:56:52 GMT, Paul <tbirdman@bellatlantic.net>
    wrote:

    ||Pluvious,
    ||Thanks for the great info!!!
    ||
    ||Paul

    No problem. Glad to help. If you havn't had 1 gig of ram before,
    you'll be shocked how much difference it makes from 512.


    Pluvious
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 17:32:01 GMT, Paul wrote:

    > Okay, after spending the past 2 weeks perusing the internet ... I
    > think I've narrowed my decision to two boards, the Abit IC7-G and
    > the Asus P4C800-E.....

    I went through the same thing back in January and settled on the Asus
    P4C800-E Deluxe. I'm been very satisfied.

    > Some of my new system specs will be;
    >
    > P-4 3.2ghz Northwood
    > 1 GB of someone's RAM ???
    > 160GB Western Digital HD 8MB
    > Audigy 2
    > ATI 9800 PRO

    My system is similar P4 3.2, 2x512mb RAM, Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, ATI
    AIW 9800 Pro, 2x250gb WD SATA, 2x120gb WD PATA.

    > Question 1; I also have never gotten into a "raid" array or
    > "striping" drives, I only plan to use the WD 160GB drive. I'm
    > assuming it won't be a problem, however, since everything appears to
    > be geared toward raid, will I have problems setting up the HD?

    I never ran RAID before either but wanted to try striping. Initially I
    was just going to run 1 RAID array using the 2 SATA drives. I had 2
    120gb 8meg WD drives laying around and decided to add them as a second
    array. The documentation in the manual left alot to be desired. I did
    some head scratching. My recommendations are use the Intel RAID for
    your RAID array. I presume you have 2 of those 160gm drives. The Intel
    uses less overhead than the built in Promise controller. My
    understanding is that the Promise shares throughput with other cards,
    the Intel doesn't. You'll need to find the drivers for RAID on the
    installation CD and put them on a floppy before beginning. When you
    install windows it will ask for them. I found its best to only hook up
    the primary RAID drives, the CD and the floppy. This way drive C will
    be assigned to the OS array. If you want to add other drives or arrays
    you can do that later after the OS is installed and drive C is
    assigned. Otherwise your boot hard drive may come up with some
    unconventional letter (F:, G: etc.) that you can't change without
    jumping hoops.

    > Question 2; Is there a place on Asus' website that gives memory
    > compatibility? I'm thinking of using 1 GB of Corsair XMS RAM, but
    > don't know if I should use PC3200, 3500 or 4000. Why can't things be
    > easy like when I bought 256MB of PC133 SDRAM?

    I didn't use Corsair but used 2 512mb PC3200 sticks. I didn't find a
    place on their web site for compatibility.

    > Question 3; I want to use the Audigy 2 card in place of the onboard
    > sound. How hard is it to disable onboard sound? On the Abit, the
    > board automatically recognizes the add in sound card and disables
    > onboard sound all by itself.

    I believe its the same type of auto sensing and there is also
    configuration options in the bios to disable all the devices.

    I like this board it runs quite well with the hardware I use. If I had
    to do it all over again, the only thing I'd change is getting a larger
    power supply. I have an Antec TruePower 430 which seems to be stable
    but with all the drives it would probably be better to have a 480 or
    550 watt model as a safety margin.

    Good luck and happy building.

    - --
    Kevin Coates
    Dewitt, NY USA
    ________________________________________________________________
    (see headers for my pgp key, remove kc to reply by mail)
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

    iD8DBQFApWi5GfSrwz4KcC4RAiv6AJ9DICf5oe0FHoDCE+Iz0IRugWz24gCglZfL
    p5cuanaOKUiaaa/kRi/piQk=
    =UTA4
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Hi..
    I have downloaded QVL for the above board ...i cant rember the site. if u
    want i can send u the pdf file .
    pse sent me a mail...urak@tm.net.my

    arju

    "Pluvious" <Pluvious@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    news:prf7a0do9eo68n2q4qg3opo6s9n1pjuoot@4ax.com...
    > On Tue, 11 May 2004 17:32:01 GMT, Paul <tbirdman@bellatlantic.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    > ||
    > ||Question 2; Is there a place on Asus' website that gives memory
    > ||compatibility? I'm thinking of using 1 GB of Corsair XMS RAM, but don't
    > ||know if I should use PC3200, 3500 or 4000. Why can't things be easy like
    > ||when I bought 256MB of PC133 SDRAM?
    > ||
    >
    > I use this ram with my P4C800-E Deluxe : Model#: TWINX1024-3200C2PT
    > http://tinyurl.com/22jbr I've had no problems at all even though its
    > not listed in the mobos manual. Highly recommend.
    >
    > ||Question 3; I want to use the Audigy 2 card in place of the onboard
    > ||sound. How hard is it to disable onboard sound? On the Abit, the board
    > ||automatically recognizes the add in sound card and disables onboard
    > ||sound all by itself.
    > ||
    >
    > To disable the on-board sound its as simple as hitting DEL at boot to
    > get to the bios and then switching the on-board sound to disable. Its
    > at the top of the screen first entry on one of the tabs. (forget which
    > exactly.. you'll find it)
    >
    > ||Thanks for everyone's help in advance. It's one of the reason's I'm
    > ||leaning toward the Asus board in the first place.
    > ||
    > ||Paul
    >
    >
    > Pluvious
    >
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 10:06:34 -0500, Memphoman
    <elvis@dead.com> wrote:

    >On Tue, 11 May 2004 12:48:20 -0500, Nick Zentena
    ><zentena@hophead.dyndns.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Paul <tbirdman@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
    >>> Okay, after spending the past 2 weeks perusing the internet looking at
    >>> 875 chipset motherboards, I think I've narrowed my decision to two
    >>> boards, the Abit IC7-G and the Asus P4C800-E. I'm leaning towards the
    >>> Asus simply because it appears to be the more stable board in stock
    >>> configuration (I don't overclock, at least yet), the amount of support
    >>> from this NG seems awesome (as we all know, Asus' support is DOA), and
    >>> in my P3 system I'm running a TUSL-2C, and have never had a problem with
    >>> it.
    >>
    >>
    >> Intel is supposed to release new LGA775 chips and I'm assuming Asus will
    >>start shipping the matching motherboards soon after. Even if you don't want
    >>the LGA775 socket it might make sense to wait the seven weeks or so.
    >>
    >> Nick
    >Be AWARE, the LGA775 is a drastic change for motherbd makers. The
    >PINS for the processor are on the MB, not the processor, screw
    >up/bend/break 1 pin and MB becomes worthless. The hardware costs to
    >the MB makers is considerable $5-$7, considering the cost of the MB it
    >self. PLUS there are reports of corrupt sockets plaguing the makers
    >too. U may want to stick with current technology, and the P4C800-E
    >Deluxe is a killer MB...

    I agree. The P4C800-E Deluxe should be a fully
    developed product now without any of the problems
    (like the solder blob issue in the first series).
    And that is a big plus.

    I have the P4C800 Deluxe (without the E) which has
    a raid function as an extra as I recall correctly.
    The board is very fine and stable and functions
    well with 2 GB memory.
    I have had problems with the PSU but that is my
    mistake. I underestimated the importance of the
    power needed on the 12 V rail with the new P4
    processor and some drives connected. Look for my
    message in another thread.

    Hyper threading (P4 2,4 GHz) functions without any
    problem at all in XP SP1.
    Up to now I only noticed 1 or 2 software
    applications that do not accept HTT but ofcourse
    this has no relation with the P4 and/or the board.
    Almost certain such software incompatibility can
    be corrected (e.g. choose for the W98 mode in XP -
    this worked for me).

    I'm considering to using RAID in the future. With
    RAID I do not have to make backups as frequent as
    now. And it should speed up things also.

    JustinCase.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Motherboards Product