Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Does Asus make good AMD m/b? I had their old P2B board and I love it.
Which one would you recommend? Thanks ahead.

Michael

"Michael" <Volvo740Racing@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Does Asus make good AMD m/b? I had their old P2B board and I love it.
> Which one would you recommend? Thanks ahead.
>
> Michael

For which type of AMD CPU?

Ed

On Tue, 11 May 2004 22:29:51 GMT, "Michael" <Volvo740Racing@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Does Asus make good AMD m/b? I had their old P2B board and I love it.
>Which one would you recommend? Thanks ahead.
>
>Michael

For AMD socket-A (462 pin) the A7N8X is a very nice board, been running
one for a year now, it's been flawless, solid as a rock.
btw this is a non deluxe v2.00 (ultra 400). ;p

For AMD64 (socket-754) all I've used is the MSI FIS2R, very nice board
for the $, no problems with 3 systems built on this board.

Ed

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

If you like to know how hot your CPU is, don't buy this board. It does not
read the thermal diode on the chip.

Chris
"Tone-EQ" <tony.cue@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Does Asus make good AMD m/b?
>
> Yes.
>
> > I had their old P2B board and I love it.
> > Which one would you recommend? Thanks ahead.
>
> A7N8X-E Deluxe.
>
> Read review here:
> http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc3
>
> --
> Regards,
> Tony. (tony.cue(at)tiscali.co.uk)
>
> Discogs: building the definitive database of electronic music...
> http://www.discogs.com

Hi,
I am using a A7V333 for about 2 years. Best computer I have owned (and put
together) I have had Gatways 3 Gateways and they all seemed to have small
flaws like with lock ups. All total I have had 9 computers and the A7V266
and A7V333 have been the best motherboards. My wife now uses the A7V266 and
it is nice not having to constantly trouble shooting it for her. I would
stick with Asus. I would suggest getting good memory.
I can boot Win 98se, 2k and XP on the A7V333. Windows XP works the best. I
would suggest a clean install of XP. Visit the web sites for driver upgrads
for the hardware and you will have a rock steady computer. Takes longer but
worth it.
I would suggest always partition the drive for a data drive for files. Let
the operating systems access the data drive and keep the systems backed up
with an image file. Then when the system is restored no email etc. is lost.
It is good that Win 98, 2k and XP can use the same data files on another
drive. Just remember to use FAT32 on the data drive. Image files saved me a
lot of times when I had a program that messed up the computer and would not
let me remove it completly. I must have restored systems on my computers 75
times and have never had a bad restore.
That is my 2 cents.

Joltjocky
I am an Electrician in case no one has figured it out.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I am looking at an AMD XP 2500+ (Barton) core. That seems to beat Intel's P4
2.8Ghz if I recall correctly. At the very least, it still beats Intel's
Celeron 2.8Ghz. I thought all the newer Asus boards could run the Barton
CPU? Thanks ahead!

> I am looking at an AMD XP 2500+ (Barton) core. That seems to beat Intel's
P4
> 2.8Ghz if I recall correctly. At the very least, it still beats Intel's
> Celeron 2.8Ghz. I thought all the newer Asus boards could run the Barton
> CPU? Thanks ahead!

Then I'd recommend one of the A7N8X boards (there are several, the A7N8X-X,
the A7N8X and the A7N8X-E Deluxe).
Here's a link to look them over:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1
They differ in features.
I have both an A7N8X-E Deluxe and an A7N8X-X here with Barton 2500+ CPU's.
Both are running at 200x11 (CPU shows as XP3200+) with PC3200 memory. Had to
increase the CPU and DIMM voltages slightly on the -E Deluxe to run stable,
but that's it.
Great performance for a song!