jay

I am upgrading from A7v133 to A7n8x-e Deluxe , Currently

"C" drive is plugged into Pri IDE and has Win ME on it...
"D" is plugged into Pri IDE (second connector) <storage only>
"E" is plugged into Pri ATA 100 Port and has Win XP on it
"F" is a DVDRW drive and is plugged into Sec ATA 100 Port

This is a multi boot system with Win ME being the origional OS
I install WIN XP on a new drive "e" and it is the only OS I use anymore.

When i connect these drives to the new motherboard WIN XP wont boot.....WIN
ME still will but like I said I never use it.

I connected the drives in the new mobo like this

C and D was plugged into PRI IDE
E and F was plugged into SEC IDE

when multi boot comes up if you select Start normally it runs for about 30
secs then reboots on its own if you run it in safe mode it will load about
25-30 drivers then reboot on its own....as i said it will run WIN ME
normally. Please advise on how to get this up and running

homer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Put in the XP CD and boot from it. When it boots select repair from the
options. It will repair XP and then it should work.

Homer

"Jay" <jaysimmons(no)@(spam)chaXrter.net> wrote in message
> I am upgrading from A7v133 to A7n8x-e Deluxe , Currently
>
> "C" drive is plugged into Pri IDE and has Win ME on it...
> "D" is plugged into Pri IDE (second connector) <storage only>
> "E" is plugged into Pri ATA 100 Port and has Win XP on it
> "F" is a DVDRW drive and is plugged into Sec ATA 100 Port
>
> This is a multi boot system with Win ME being the origional OS
> I install WIN XP on a new drive "e" and it is the only OS I use anymore.
>
> When i connect these drives to the new motherboard WIN XP wont
boot.....WIN
> ME still will but like I said I never use it.
>
> I connected the drives in the new mobo like this
>
> C and D was plugged into PRI IDE
> E and F was plugged into SEC IDE
>
> when multi boot comes up if you select Start normally it runs for about 30
> secs then reboots on its own if you run it in safe mode it will load about
> 25-30 drivers then reboot on its own....as i said it will run WIN ME
> normally. Please advise on how to get this up and running

jay

now if only i could find my win xp cd...i moved a few months ago and have
stuff strowed out for about 50 miles
LOL

"Homer" <forgetspam@aol.com> wrote in message
> Put in the XP CD and boot from it. When it boots select repair from the
> options. It will repair XP and then it should work.
>
> Homer
>
> "Jay" <jaysimmons(no)@(spam)chaXrter.net> wrote in message
> > I am upgrading from A7v133 to A7n8x-e Deluxe , Currently
> >
> > "C" drive is plugged into Pri IDE and has Win ME on it...
> > "D" is plugged into Pri IDE (second connector) <storage only>
> > "E" is plugged into Pri ATA 100 Port and has Win XP on it
> > "F" is a DVDRW drive and is plugged into Sec ATA 100 Port
> >
> > This is a multi boot system with Win ME being the origional OS
> > I install WIN XP on a new drive "e" and it is the only OS I use anymore.
> >
> > When i connect these drives to the new motherboard WIN XP wont
> boot.....WIN
> > ME still will but like I said I never use it.
> >
> > I connected the drives in the new mobo like this
> >
> > C and D was plugged into PRI IDE
> > E and F was plugged into SEC IDE
> >
> > when multi boot comes up if you select Start normally it runs for about
30
> > secs then reboots on its own if you run it in safe mode it will load
about
> > 25-30 drivers then reboot on its own....as i said it will run WIN ME
> > normally. Please advise on how to get this up and running

Paul

Splendid

In article <10a5mpeg6oucb9@corp.supernews.com>, "Jay"
<jaysimmons(no)@(spam)chaXrter.net> wrote:

> now if only i could find my win xp cd...i moved a few months ago and have
> stuff strowed out for about 50 miles
> LOL

When you build a new computer, it is a good idea to test
the memory with memtest86 (either from memtest.org or memtest86.com).
An A7N8X family board works best if the memory and the CPU run in
sync (at the same speed - rather than "By SPD"). You shouldn't try
booting a real OS until you are sure the basic computer is healthy,
and running memtest86 with zero errors will tell you that.

Then you can do a repair install if you want, or if it is still
needed.

HTH,
Paul

> "Homer" <forgetspam@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Put in the XP CD and boot from it. When it boots select repair from the
> > options. It will repair XP and then it should work.
> >
> > Homer
> >
> > "Jay" <jaysimmons(no)@(spam)chaXrter.net> wrote in message
> > > I am upgrading from A7v133 to A7n8x-e Deluxe , Currently
> > >
> > > "C" drive is plugged into Pri IDE and has Win ME on it...
> > > "D" is plugged into Pri IDE (second connector) <storage only>
> > > "E" is plugged into Pri ATA 100 Port and has Win XP on it
> > > "F" is a DVDRW drive and is plugged into Sec ATA 100 Port
> > >
> > > This is a multi boot system with Win ME being the origional OS
> > > I install WIN XP on a new drive "e" and it is the only OS I use anymore.
> > >
> > > When i connect these drives to the new motherboard WIN XP wont
> > boot.....WIN
> > > ME still will but like I said I never use it.
> > >
> > > I connected the drives in the new mobo like this
> > >
> > > C and D was plugged into PRI IDE
> > > E and F was plugged into SEC IDE
> > >
> > > when multi boot comes up if you select Start normally it runs for about
> 30
> > > secs then reboots on its own if you run it in safe mode it will load
> about
> > > 25-30 drivers then reboot on its own....as i said it will run WIN ME
> > > normally. Please advise on how to get this up and running

jay

Yep tested memory , it;s all good is there anyway to do this w/o the windows
cd b/c i cant find mine?

> In article <10a5mpeg6oucb9@corp.supernews.com>, "Jay"
> <jaysimmons(no)@(spam)chaXrter.net> wrote:
>
> > now if only i could find my win xp cd...i moved a few months ago and
have
> > stuff strowed out for about 50 miles
> > LOL
>
> When you build a new computer, it is a good idea to test
> the memory with memtest86 (either from memtest.org or memtest86.com).
> An A7N8X family board works best if the memory and the CPU run in
> sync (at the same speed - rather than "By SPD"). You shouldn't try
> booting a real OS until you are sure the basic computer is healthy,
> and running memtest86 with zero errors will tell you that.
>
> Then you can do a repair install if you want, or if it is still
> needed.
>
> HTH,
> Paul
>

> > "Homer" <forgetspam@aol.com> wrote in message
> > > Put in the XP CD and boot from it. When it boots select repair from
the
> > > options. It will repair XP and then it should work.
> > >
> > > Homer
> > >
> > > "Jay" <jaysimmons(no)@(spam)chaXrter.net> wrote in message

> > > boot.....WIN

> > 30
> > about

homer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

No

In article <10a7mu4h74r2096@corp.supernews.com>, "Jay"
<jaysimmons(no)@(spam)chaXrter.net> wrote:

> Yep tested memory , it;s all good is there anyway to do this w/o the windows
> cd b/c i cant find mine?

Try some Googling on "Repair Install" or the like.

I found this suggestion on Abxzone. I think their idea is, installing
the standard Microsoft IDE driver might make it possible for the
new motherboard to boot. I guess if a custom IDE driver is installed
on the disk before the transition, that is why the first attempt to
boot dies.

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64584 (full thread)
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=658334&postcount=9 (post)

My advice is, if you are going to attempt this, backup your original
drive first, so you have a way of getting back to a stable config
with your old system. I've migrated a few times, in one case using
a new "Hardware Profile" that comes up during boot, but don't remember
enough of the details to do it justice. I also don't have WinXP,
as I hate activation and bought a copy of Win2K instead.

If you buy a new drive to go with the new board, you can use it
to make a safety backup before the change, and later, when everything
is looking stable, the extra drive becomes your backup device.

You can search the Abxzone forums here:

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/search.php

Paul