Counter-Strike: Source and freezing in game

Two points:

1) So there I am, running around, shooting anything that moves.. and wham...
screen freezes up for 4-6 seconds.. Next thing, I'm dead!

2) If I survive a round, the new round starts instantly, and I can buy
weapons etc the same time as the rest of the team. But if I have died in the
previous round, the new round 'delays' by about 5 seconds.. so when I come
to be ready to buy weapons etc, the rest of the team has left!

I'm running the following specs:

AMD3000 on Asus A7N8X board with 1GB of Corsair RAM
Leadtek Nvidia 5950 Ultra (256MB) Latest drivers
Audigy Platinum Pro Ex, latest drivers

2MB ADSL with Zoom X5v router, DMZ enabled (firewall off)

Zone Alarm Pro, latest version. Spyware detectors and virus checkers
switched off.

Any ideas?

--
huLLy
VOIP SIP Phone Number 4823176 on Global Village

    huLLy wrote:
    > Two points:
    >
    > 1) So there I am, running around, shooting anything that moves.. and wham...
    > screen freezes up for 4-6 seconds.. Next thing, I'm dead!

    Got lag?

    > 2) If I survive a round, the new round starts instantly, and I can buy
    > weapons etc the same time as the rest of the team. But if I have died in the
    > previous round, the new round 'delays' by about 5 seconds.. so when I come
    > to be ready to buy weapons etc, the rest of the team has left!

    Uhhg. Don't know about what's causing that. Could be lag again, but
    since it follows a pattern about when it occurs, maybe something's wrong
    with the server.

    > I'm running the following specs:
    >
    > AMD3000 on Asus A7N8X board with 1GB of Corsair RAM
    > Leadtek Nvidia 5950 Ultra (256MB) Latest drivers
    > Audigy Platinum Pro Ex, latest drivers
    >
    > 2MB ADSL with Zoom X5v router, DMZ enabled (firewall off)
    >
    > Zone Alarm Pro, latest version. Spyware detectors and virus checkers
    > switched off.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Hardware looks fine, except that you really should have the Virus
    Checker running 24/7.

    GFree wrote:
    > huLLy wrote:
    >> Two points:
    >>
    >> 1) So there I am, running around, shooting anything that moves.. and
    >> wham... screen freezes up for 4-6 seconds.. Next thing, I'm dead!
    >>

    > Got lag?

    No
    It was Zone Alarm.

    Closed ZA and enabled the XP SP2 firewall, no more problems..

    How odd. Hope ZA release an update in the future, I like the added benefit
    of stuff on my pc not being able to dial out.. Oh well..

    Now running with everything 'high' video on 1280 x .... great!
    --

    On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 23:04:17 -0000, "huLLy" <g4sdw@aol.com> wrote:

    >How odd. Hope ZA release an update in the future, I like the added benefit
    >of stuff on my pc not being able to dial out.. Oh well..

    Get the Sygate Personal Firewall instead.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    huLLy wrote:
    > GFree wrote:
    >
    >>huLLy wrote:
    >>
    >>>Two points:
    >>>
    >>>1) So there I am, running around, shooting anything that moves.. and
    >>>wham... screen freezes up for 4-6 seconds.. Next thing, I'm dead!
    >>>

    >>Got lag?
    >

    > No
    > It was Zone Alarm.
    >
    > Closed ZA and enabled the XP SP2 firewall, no more problems..
    >
    > How odd. Hope ZA release an update in the future, I like the added benefit
    > of stuff on my pc not being able to dial out.. Oh well..
    >
    > Now running with everything 'high' video on 1280 x .... great!

    Well, I didn't think Zone Alarm was the problem, because SURELY you knew
    how Steam doesn't like working on a firewall. :smile
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    GFree wrote:

    > Well, I didn't think Zone Alarm was the problem, because SURELY you
    > knew how Steam doesn't like working on a firewall. :smile

    I've had *no* problems with ZA on any other Steam product before this.. and
    at first I thought.. no way.. lol
    --
    huLLy
    VOIP SIP Phone Number 4823176 on Global Village
    Or +44 8703 408916 to my VOIP line
    email g4sdw@aol.com (Loon reports welcome)
    http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn119503
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    Dave Engle wrote:

    > Seriously, ZA gives me absolutely no problems while playing CS:S,
    > though...

    Is yours the free Zone Alarm or the paid for Pro?

    I'm using the Pro, maybe it's other apps within the extended package?

    --
    huLLy
    VOIP SIP Phone Number 4823176 on Global Village
    Or +44 8703 408916 to my VOIP line
    email g4sdw@aol.com (Loon reports welcome)
    http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn119503
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    "huLLy" <g4sdw@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Is yours the free Zone Alarm or the paid for Pro?
    >
    > I'm using the Pro, maybe it's other apps within the extended
    > package?

    I'm using the free version, so maybe that's the difference...
    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    CingularDuality

    Dave Engle schrieb am 10.02.2005 18:04:
    > "huLLy" <g4sdw@aol.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Is yours the free Zone Alarm or the paid for Pro?
    >>
    >>I'm using the Pro, maybe it's other apps within the extended
    >>package?
    >

    > I'm using the free version, so maybe that's the difference...

    I don't think it depends on the type of firewall you're using.
    Maybe it could be it's configuration..?
    I've got TWO Firewalls running all the time and no
    problems with gaming related to this. Seriously!
    Miller
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    here's a question.. why the hell have zonealarm when you are behind a
    router to begin with?

    i sweat those programs do 50000000X more dammage than they ever have
    done good.

    On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:52:39 -0000, "huLLy" <g4sdw@aol.com> wrote:

    >Two points:
    >
    >1) So there I am, running around, shooting anything that moves.. and wham...
    >screen freezes up for 4-6 seconds.. Next thing, I'm dead!
    >
    >2) If I survive a round, the new round starts instantly, and I can buy
    >weapons etc the same time as the rest of the team. But if I have died in the
    >previous round, the new round 'delays' by about 5 seconds.. so when I come
    >to be ready to buy weapons etc, the rest of the team has left!
    >
    >I'm running the following specs:
    >
    >AMD3000 on Asus A7N8X board with 1GB of Corsair RAM
    >Leadtek Nvidia 5950 Ultra (256MB) Latest drivers
    >Audigy Platinum Pro Ex, latest drivers
    >
    >2MB ADSL with Zoom X5v router, DMZ enabled (firewall off)
    >
    >Zone Alarm Pro, latest version. Spyware detectors and virus checkers
    >switched off.
    >
    >Any ideas?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    geoff wrote:
    > here's a question.. why the hell have zonealarm when you are behind a
    > router to begin with?
    >
    > i sweat those programs do 50000000X more dammage than they ever have
    > done good.

    Here's an answer.. because the router only allows a maximum of 25 extra
    ports to be opened which isn't enough to play CS. There fore you have to
    enable DMZ (DeMilitarized Zone) which effectively switches off the router
    firewall.
    --
    huLLy
    VOIP SIP Phone Number 4823176 on Global Village
    Or +44 8703 408916 to my VOIP line
    email g4sdw@aol.com (Loon reports welcome)
    http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn119503
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    I had same problem, in my case the solution was a better cooling for my
    Gforce Ultra. For some reason when playing CS my video card get really
    hot and then the game start freezing for 5 or 6 secs and after that I
    can play again. But after 10 min it freeze again and so on.

    I had to improve the the cooling of my video card and everything is ok
    now.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    Hi, I had same problem. In my case I had problems with the temperature
    of my GForce Ultra only playing CS. Now I use the NV Silencer 5 cooler
    and everything is working ok.

    I hope that helps.

Video Games