Counter-Strike: Source and freezing in game

Last response: in Video Games
February 9, 2005 3:52:39 PM

Two points:

1) So there I am, running around, shooting anything that moves.. and wham...
screen freezes up for 4-6 seconds.. Next thing, I'm dead!

2) If I survive a round, the new round starts instantly, and I can buy
weapons etc the same time as the rest of the team. But if I have died in the
previous round, the new round 'delays' by about 5 seconds.. so when I come
to be ready to buy weapons etc, the rest of the team has left!

I'm running the following specs:

AMD3000 on Asus A7N8X board with 1GB of Corsair RAM
Leadtek Nvidia 5950 Ultra (256MB) Latest drivers
Audigy Platinum Pro Ex, latest drivers

2MB ADSL with Zoom X5v router, DMZ enabled (firewall off)

Zone Alarm Pro, latest version. Spyware detectors and virus checkers
switched off.

Any ideas?

--
huLLy
VOIP SIP Phone Number 4823176 on Global Village

huLLy wrote:
> Two points:
>
> 1) So there I am, running around, shooting anything that moves.. and wham...
> screen freezes up for 4-6 seconds.. Next thing, I'm dead!

Got lag?

> 2) If I survive a round, the new round starts instantly, and I can buy
> weapons etc the same time as the rest of the team. But if I have died in the
> previous round, the new round 'delays' by about 5 seconds.. so when I come
> to be ready to buy weapons etc, the rest of the team has left!

Uhhg. Don't know about what's causing that. Could be lag again, but
since it follows a pattern about when it occurs, maybe something's wrong
with the server.

> I'm running the following specs:
>
> AMD3000 on Asus A7N8X board with 1GB of Corsair RAM
> Leadtek Nvidia 5950 Ultra (256MB) Latest drivers
> Audigy Platinum Pro Ex, latest drivers
>
> 2MB ADSL with Zoom X5v router, DMZ enabled (firewall off)
>
> Zone Alarm Pro, latest version. Spyware detectors and virus checkers
> switched off.
>
> Any ideas?

Hardware looks fine, except that you really should have the Virus
Checker running 24/7.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 2:04:17 AM

GFree wrote:
> huLLy wrote:
>> Two points:
>>
>> 1) So there I am, running around, shooting anything that moves.. and
>> wham... screen freezes up for 4-6 seconds.. Next thing, I'm dead!
>>

> Got lag?

No
It was Zone Alarm.

Closed ZA and enabled the XP SP2 firewall, no more problems..

How odd. Hope ZA release an update in the future, I like the added benefit
of stuff on my pc not being able to dial out.. Oh well..

Now running with everything 'high' video on 1280 x .... great!
--
huLLy
VOIP SIP Phone Number 4823176 on Global Village
Or +44 8703 408916 to my VOIP line
email g4sdw@aol.com (Loon reports welcome)
http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn119503
Related resources
February 10, 2005 2:06:55 AM

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 23:04:17 -0000, "huLLy" <g4sdw@aol.com> wrote:

>How odd. Hope ZA release an update in the future, I like the added benefit
>of stuff on my pc not being able to dial out.. Oh well..

Get the Sygate Personal Firewall instead.
February 10, 2005 2:08:27 AM

huLLy wrote:
> GFree wrote:
>
>>huLLy wrote:
>>
>>>Two points:
>>>
>>>1) So there I am, running around, shooting anything that moves.. and
>>>wham... screen freezes up for 4-6 seconds.. Next thing, I'm dead!
>>>

>>Got lag?
>

> No
> It was Zone Alarm.
>
> Closed ZA and enabled the XP SP2 firewall, no more problems..
>
> How odd. Hope ZA release an update in the future, I like the added benefit
> of stuff on my pc not being able to dial out.. Oh well..
>
> Now running with everything 'high' video on 1280 x .... great!

Well, I didn't think Zone Alarm was the problem, because SURELY you knew
how Steam doesn't like working on a firewall. :smile
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 2:13:51 AM

GFree wrote:

> Well, I didn't think Zone Alarm was the problem, because SURELY you
> knew how Steam doesn't like working on a firewall. :smile

I've had *no* problems with ZA on any other Steam product before this.. and
at first I thought.. no way.. lol
--
huLLy
VOIP SIP Phone Number 4823176 on Global Village
Or +44 8703 408916 to my VOIP line
email g4sdw@aol.com (Loon reports welcome)
http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn119503
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 12:15:06 PM

Dave Engle wrote:

> Seriously, ZA gives me absolutely no problems while playing CS:S,
> though...

Is yours the free Zone Alarm or the paid for Pro?

I'm using the Pro, maybe it's other apps within the extended package?

--
huLLy
VOIP SIP Phone Number 4823176 on Global Village
Or +44 8703 408916 to my VOIP line
email g4sdw@aol.com (Loon reports welcome)
http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn119503
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 2:04:22 PM

"huLLy" <g4sdw@aol.com> wrote in message
> Is yours the free Zone Alarm or the paid for Pro?
>
> I'm using the Pro, maybe it's other apps within the extended
> package?

I'm using the free version, so maybe that's the difference...
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CingularDuality

Dave Engle schrieb am 10.02.2005 18:04:
> "huLLy" <g4sdw@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>>Is yours the free Zone Alarm or the paid for Pro?
>>
>>I'm using the Pro, maybe it's other apps within the extended
>>package?
>

> I'm using the free version, so maybe that's the difference...

I don't think it depends on the type of firewall you're using.
Maybe it could be it's configuration..?
I've got TWO Firewalls running all the time and no
problems with gaming related to this. Seriously!
Miller
February 26, 2005 10:53:50 AM

here's a question.. why the hell have zonealarm when you are behind a
router to begin with?

i sweat those programs do 50000000X more dammage than they ever have
done good.

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:52:39 -0000, "huLLy" <g4sdw@aol.com> wrote:

>Two points:
>
>1) So there I am, running around, shooting anything that moves.. and wham...
>screen freezes up for 4-6 seconds.. Next thing, I'm dead!
>
>2) If I survive a round, the new round starts instantly, and I can buy
>weapons etc the same time as the rest of the team. But if I have died in the
>previous round, the new round 'delays' by about 5 seconds.. so when I come
>to be ready to buy weapons etc, the rest of the team has left!
>
>I'm running the following specs:
>
>AMD3000 on Asus A7N8X board with 1GB of Corsair RAM
>Leadtek Nvidia 5950 Ultra (256MB) Latest drivers
>Audigy Platinum Pro Ex, latest drivers
>
>2MB ADSL with Zoom X5v router, DMZ enabled (firewall off)
>
>Zone Alarm Pro, latest version. Spyware detectors and virus checkers
>switched off.
>
>Any ideas?
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 11:09:51 AM

geoff wrote:
> here's a question.. why the hell have zonealarm when you are behind a
> router to begin with?
>
> i sweat those programs do 50000000X more dammage than they ever have
> done good.

Here's an answer.. because the router only allows a maximum of 25 extra
ports to be opened which isn't enough to play CS. There fore you have to
enable DMZ (DeMilitarized Zone) which effectively switches off the router
firewall.
--
huLLy
VOIP SIP Phone Number 4823176 on Global Village
Or +44 8703 408916 to my VOIP line
email g4sdw@aol.com (Loon reports welcome)
http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn119503
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 9:13:43 AM

I had same problem, in my case the solution was a better cooling for my
Gforce Ultra. For some reason when playing CS my video card get really
hot and then the game start freezing for 5 or 6 secs and after that I
can play again. But after 10 min it freeze again and so on.

I had to improve the the cooling of my video card and everything is ok
now.
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 1:02:20 PM

Hi, I had same problem. In my case I had problems with the temperature
of my GForce Ultra only playing CS. Now I use the NV Silencer 5 cooler
and everything is working ok.

I hope that helps.
!