modem not working

I downloaded about 4 to 5 hours worth of updates and
Service Packs from your web site today. Then when I tried
to go online my modem would not work (and made no dialing
sound) and I got the error message ":There was a hardware
failure in the modem (or other connecting device)." So I
restored my system (at System Restore) to before I began
the downloading and now the modem is OK. What should I do
now? Thanx.....
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh%3Ben-us%
3Bcntactms&LN=EN-US&x=5&y=17
2 answers Last reply
More about modem working

    I am sure the more experienced in here will have a better suggestion, but.....

    If you did the updates in large groups, try them one at a time. Recheck the modem after every update or at whatever interval you chose.

    Wes

    i presume during update that you downloaded an updated
    driver for your modem,,if so then undo your last restore
    to put back all the updates then go to device manager and
    roll back the driver for your modem,,

Hardware Modem Windows XP