D Drive Disappeared!

May 7, 2004 5:35:49 AM

Help!

Hi, wonder if anyone knows how to fix this;
My D Drive has just up and vanished. Where it used to sit
in my computer is just a gap. When i put CDs into the
computer (i have tried tons of CDs, it's not a problem
with CDs) the computer simply cannot read them.

It's as if my computer doesn't have a CD drive, there are
not even any error messages.

I'm in the middle of my GCSE exams, i need my computer
working properly, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Stephen O'Dea

More about : drive disappeared

Anonymous
May 7, 2004 7:11:02 AM

Hi, I also had a problem I could not solve on my own.
My cd writer was not recognized by XP home edition.
I posted my problem on Windows XP Hardware newsgroup, got one reply and it didn't solve
my problem. In desperation I poked around my computer
until I stumbled on Help and Support Centre. I asked for support and in less then 24 hours
they e-mailed a detailed step-by-step procedure, which solved my problem.
Since my knowledge of computers is marginal, at best, it was important for me that the
procedure was very detailed and did not assume that I know anything about computers.

If you would like to get support to solve your problem, left click on:
Start>Control Panel>Help and Support (on left panel)>>Get support (on right panel)>Get help from (on left panel)>>Ask support professional for help (on right panel), then answer a series of questions.

Just in case you want to use the procedure that solved my problem,
I'm including it here as a combination of two procedures, one from Help Centre
and one I found posted by Anonymous on Windows XP Hardware newsgroup.
I made it a bit more user friendly but lengthy. Hope you don't mind. All the best, Adam

What to do if CD Writer is not recognized by Windows XP home edition?

I suggest that you print the following procedure and work from paper copy.

In case you don't know how to copy and print text,
point cursor at top left of the text to print (When you loaded XP, etc),
press and hold mouse's left button, drag the cursor to the right of the screen
and then to the bottom right of the text,
release left button, right click anywhere on the text, point cursor at word Copy
and left click on it once.
Open Notepad by left clicking on Start>All Programs>Accessories>Notepad.
Point cursor at top left of the blank page and right click. Left click on word Paste.
Text should appear on the Notepad's blank page.
To print left click on File (top left)>Print>Print button.
This text fits on one page, but only if you print starting with the next sentence.

When you loaded XP, was cd burning software like Easy CD Creator loaded on the computer?
Was your CD writer listed in the BIOS? (BIOS is in white writing on black background
right after computer starts up and before Windows XP loads up)
Is it absent from the Device Manager?
To check left click on: Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>
Device Manager>Plus sign to the left of DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES.
Minimize the Computer Management window, you will need it later.
You are unable to load a new driver?
Reloading cd burning software doesn't make any difference?
Yes to all of the above means the culprits are the Upper/Lower Filters.

1. Uninstall any cd burning software from the system.
Then reboot by left clicking on: START>TURN OFF COMPUTER>RESTART

2. Left click START>RUN, Type regedit , left click OK, to open the Registry Editor.
To expand each line, left click on + (plus sign) to the left of each of the following:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CURRENTCONTROLSET>CONTROL>CLASS.
Find and highlight (left click) on the line: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. To save this file to the Desktop, in case this procedure does not work:
Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, then left click on EXPORT.
Left click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} in Export Registry File
to highlight it, this will place this line in File Name box, left click on Save. Close Export Registry File.

4. With the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}key still
blue on the left hand panel of Registry Editor,
look on the right hand panel under Name for an entry for Upper Filters. Delete Upper Filters.
To delete, right click on Upper Filters, left click on Delete.
If there is an entry for Lower Filters, delete them as well.
Right click on Lower Filters, left click on Delete. Close the Registry Editor.

5. To restart the machine left click on: START>TURN OFF COMPUTER>RESTART.
To see if your cd writer is in Device Manager left click on the minimized
Comuter Management icon in bottom bar or left click on:
Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>>Device Manager>Plus sign to the left of DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES.
Right click on your CD Writer and left click on Uninstall.
Left click OK on Confirm Device Removal dialog box. This removes your CD Writer from
the computer, so software can do the procedure of locating newly installed devices.
Now right click on your computer's name at the top of the tree on right hand panel
of Computer Management window, to the right of an icon of a computer,
left click on: Scan For Hardware Changes. This reinstalls your cd writer on your computer.

6. Reinstall cd burning software, reboot and check that your cd writer works OK.
May 7, 2004 4:29:40 PM

First of all, I'm assuming that when you say 'Up and vanished' and 'just a
gap' I assume you mean in File Explorer, not physically on the front of your
PC...

Have you done ANYTHING between it being there and not being there? Installed
new software/hardware, physically moved it from one place to another etc.
etc

Don't know how much you know about computers, so don't try this if your not
confident, you might make things worse...

You could try running the 'Add/Remove Hardware' wizard and get it to scan
for new hardware, see if it can spot your CD Drive.

If that doesn't work, open the case and make sure that all the cables are
tightly in place, maybe the data-cable has worked loose? I assume the drive
has power, as you seem to be able to open and close the drawer.

Cheers,

ChrisM

"Stephen O'Dea" <waverider_steve1988@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Help!
>
> Hi, wonder if anyone knows how to fix this;
> My D Drive has just up and vanished. Where it used to sit
> in my computer is just a gap. When i put CDs into the
> computer (i have tried tons of CDs, it's not a problem
> with CDs) the computer simply cannot read them.
>
> It's as if my computer doesn't have a CD drive, there are
> not even any error messages.
>
> I'm in the middle of my GCSE exams, i need my computer
> working properly, any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Stephen O'Dea
May 7, 2004 4:29:41 PM

I use XP Pro and my CD-ROM has been working well for years. I inserted a TDK CD-RW74HS disc I burned on my other computer, the CD-ROM made a few grunts and XP de-configured it from my system, ie it no longer appears in My Computer, it can't be found by Add Hardware Wizard. I don't know how to get it back!
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 7:43:20 PM

On Fri, 7 May 2004 01:35:49 -0700, "Stephen O'Dea"
<waverider_steve1988@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Help!
>
>Hi, wonder if anyone knows how to fix this;
>My D Drive has just up and vanished. Where it used to sit
>in my computer is just a gap. When i put CDs into the
>computer (i have tried tons of CDs, it's not a problem
>with CDs) the computer simply cannot read them.
>
>It's as if my computer doesn't have a CD drive, there are
>not even any error messages.

1. Right click My computer and select Manage
2. Click on Device Manager
3. Is the CD drive listed in list of devices?
4. Is it shown as working in CD drive's Properties?
5. If working, open Disk Management and try to reassign a drive letter
to your CD drive.

Peter Hutchison
Windows FAQ
http://www.pcguru.plus.com/