A7N8X - Deluxe networking problem with DSL

A7N8X deluxe
Athlon XP-2600
1GB RAM

Installed my Westell Wirespeed DSL modem with the 3COM Ethernet jack
with no problems. It worked like a charm on the first try and teh
rest of the night. Next day, the web browser won't pull anything up.
The power had blinked once and my wife found the machine off,
re-booted.

Re-installed the ISP's software from CD (very good setup util- ran
without a hitch when I originally used it on this machine). The setup
kept saying to plug in the modem, make sure it was synch'ed, etc. It
could never finish the "detecting modem and connectivity" part of the
setup.

The modem obviously trains with the ISP, since I can see the
appropriate LED blink, then blink faster, then become solid on. (Also
I can hear the subtle tones while I am on a voice call when it is
training). Also, the Ethernet LED on the modem lights up when plugged
in; flashes when the computer sends packets. The machine seems to
have a problem receiving info from the modem.

When I run the 3COM util in WinXP pro for the NIC, the "transmit"
indication flashes appropriately, the "receive" indication never
flashes.

From a command prompt, IPCONFIG gives me an IP address then my ISP's
tech support says is not valid (starts with 169.xxx.xxx.xxx, I think).
When I type PING YAHOO.COM, it cannot find the address.

The identical situation happens when I use the Nvidea LAN port.
Interestingly, same thing when I use the USB port on the Westell DSL
modem.

Plugged the DSL modem into a neighbor's computer (same ISP, same
modem) without changing anything on their machine - worked fine.

Machine seems to work fine otherwise. Any ideas? I can only figure
that part of the motherboard is fried or some BIOS settings are
corrupted. I looked int he BIOS and the only config is to enable or
disable these LAN ports - they are enabled. Why would this happen
with the USB connection also?
5 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x deluxe networking problem

    I had a similar problem and fixed it with this. Using the
    A7N8X deluxe early version, Westell Modem, Win2K Pro,etc. It was a
    problem with the winsock.
    The program will say it's for XP but works with Win2K also.

    "William" <wood@mcesurgery.com> wrote in message
    > A7N8X deluxe
    > Athlon XP-2600
    > 1GB RAM
    >
    > Installed my Westell Wirespeed DSL modem with the 3COM Ethernet jack
    > with no problems. It worked like a charm on the first try and teh
    > rest of the night. Next day, the web browser won't pull anything up.
    > The power had blinked once and my wife found the machine off,
    > re-booted.
    >
    > Re-installed the ISP's software from CD (very good setup util- ran
    > without a hitch when I originally used it on this machine). The setup
    > kept saying to plug in the modem, make sure it was synch'ed, etc. It
    > could never finish the "detecting modem and connectivity" part of the
    > setup.
    >
    > The modem obviously trains with the ISP, since I can see the
    > appropriate LED blink, then blink faster, then become solid on. (Also
    > I can hear the subtle tones while I am on a voice call when it is
    > training). Also, the Ethernet LED on the modem lights up when plugged
    > in; flashes when the computer sends packets. The machine seems to
    > have a problem receiving info from the modem.
    >
    > When I run the 3COM util in WinXP pro for the NIC, the "transmit"
    > indication flashes appropriately, the "receive" indication never
    > flashes.
    >
    > From a command prompt, IPCONFIG gives me an IP address then my ISP's
    > tech support says is not valid (starts with 169.xxx.xxx.xxx, I think).
    > When I type PING YAHOO.COM, it cannot find the address.
    >
    > The identical situation happens when I use the Nvidea LAN port.
    > Interestingly, same thing when I use the USB port on the Westell DSL
    > modem.
    >
    > Plugged the DSL modem into a neighbor's computer (same ISP, same
    > modem) without changing anything on their machine - worked fine.
    >
    > Machine seems to work fine otherwise. Any ideas? I can only figure
    > that part of the motherboard is fried or some BIOS settings are
    > corrupted. I looked int he BIOS and the only config is to enable or
    > disable these LAN ports - they are enabled. Why would this happen
    > with the USB connection also?

    Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try. That looks like a
    program to repair the registry as it pertains to network settings.
    Not sure what exactly what would have caused such a problem with my
    registry, though. . .

    "Don" <nj6z@csi.com> wrote in message news:<c81cj1$jjk$2@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>...
    > I had a similar problem and fixed it with this. Using the
    > A7N8X deluxe early version, Westell Modem, Win2K Pro,etc. It was a
    > problem with the winsock.
    > The program will say it's for XP but works with Win2K also.
    > http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
    >

    > "William" <wood@mcesurgery.com> wrote in message
    > > A7N8X deluxe
    > > Athlon XP-2600
    > > 1GB RAM
    > >
    > > Installed my Westell Wirespeed DSL modem with the 3COM Ethernet jack
    > > with no problems. It worked like a charm on the first try and teh
    > > rest of the night. Next day, the web browser won't pull anything up.
    > > The power had blinked once and my wife found the machine off,
    > > re-booted.
    > >
    > > Re-installed the ISP's software from CD (very good setup util- ran
    > > without a hitch when I originally used it on this machine). The setup
    > > kept saying to plug in the modem, make sure it was synch'ed, etc. It
    > > could never finish the "detecting modem and connectivity" part of the
    > > setup.
    > >
    > > The modem obviously trains with the ISP, since I can see the
    > > appropriate LED blink, then blink faster, then become solid on. (Also
    > > I can hear the subtle tones while I am on a voice call when it is
    > > training). Also, the Ethernet LED on the modem lights up when plugged
    > > in; flashes when the computer sends packets. The machine seems to
    > > have a problem receiving info from the modem.
    > >
    > > When I run the 3COM util in WinXP pro for the NIC, the "transmit"
    > > indication flashes appropriately, the "receive" indication never
    > > flashes.
    > >
    > > From a command prompt, IPCONFIG gives me an IP address then my ISP's
    > > tech support says is not valid (starts with 169.xxx.xxx.xxx, I think).
    > > When I type PING YAHOO.COM, it cannot find the address.
    > >
    > > The identical situation happens when I use the Nvidea LAN port.
    > > Interestingly, same thing when I use the USB port on the Westell DSL
    > > modem.
    > >
    > > Plugged the DSL modem into a neighbor's computer (same ISP, same
    > > modem) without changing anything on their machine - worked fine.
    > >
    > > Machine seems to work fine otherwise. Any ideas? I can only figure
    > > that part of the motherboard is fried or some BIOS settings are
    > > corrupted. I looked int he BIOS and the only config is to enable or
    > > disable these LAN ports - they are enabled. Why would this happen
    > > with the USB connection also?

    I had the same thoughts and went through a week of not being able to access
    the internet with my desktop. I went to another newsgroup using my laptop
    and this was recommended to me, I tried it, and it worked. I keep the
    program incase it happens again. I have no idea how my winsock was
    corrupted.

    Good luck

    > Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try. That looks like a
    > program to repair the registry as it pertains to network settings.
    > Not sure what exactly what would have caused such a problem with my
    > registry, though. . .
    >

    > "Don" <nj6z@csi.com> wrote in message
    > > I had a similar problem and fixed it with this. Using the
    > > A7N8X deluxe early version, Westell Modem, Win2K Pro,etc. It was a
    > > problem with the winsock.
    > > The program will say it's for XP but works with Win2K also.
    > > http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
    > >

    > > "William" <wood@mcesurgery.com> wrote in message
    > > > A7N8X deluxe
    > > > Athlon XP-2600
    > > > 1GB RAM
    > > >
    > > > Installed my Westell Wirespeed DSL modem with the 3COM Ethernet jack
    > > > with no problems. It worked like a charm on the first try and teh
    > > > rest of the night. Next day, the web browser won't pull anything up.
    > > > The power had blinked once and my wife found the machine off,
    > > > re-booted.
    > > >
    > > > Re-installed the ISP's software from CD (very good setup util- ran
    > > > without a hitch when I originally used it on this machine). The setup
    > > > kept saying to plug in the modem, make sure it was synch'ed, etc. It
    > > > could never finish the "detecting modem and connectivity" part of the
    > > > setup.
    > > >
    > > > The modem obviously trains with the ISP, since I can see the
    > > > appropriate LED blink, then blink faster, then become solid on. (Also
    > > > I can hear the subtle tones while I am on a voice call when it is
    > > > training). Also, the Ethernet LED on the modem lights up when plugged
    > > > in; flashes when the computer sends packets. The machine seems to
    > > > have a problem receiving info from the modem.
    > > >
    > > > When I run the 3COM util in WinXP pro for the NIC, the "transmit"
    > > > indication flashes appropriately, the "receive" indication never
    > > > flashes.
    > > >
    > > > From a command prompt, IPCONFIG gives me an IP address then my ISP's
    > > > tech support says is not valid (starts with 169.xxx.xxx.xxx, I think).
    > > > When I type PING YAHOO.COM, it cannot find the address.
    > > >
    > > > The identical situation happens when I use the Nvidea LAN port.
    > > > Interestingly, same thing when I use the USB port on the Westell DSL
    > > > modem.
    > > >
    > > > Plugged the DSL modem into a neighbor's computer (same ISP, same
    > > > modem) without changing anything on their machine - worked fine.
    > > >
    > > > Machine seems to work fine otherwise. Any ideas? I can only figure
    > > > that part of the motherboard is fried or some BIOS settings are
    > > > corrupted. I looked int he BIOS and the only config is to enable or
    > > > disable these LAN ports - they are enabled. Why would this happen
    > > > with the USB connection also?

    Don,

    FYI: there is a way to cause TCP/IP to be re-installed using the netsh
    command in XP (not available in earlier windows versions, but then you could
    reinstall tcp/ip via more normal methods).

    A quick google for:
    netsh reinstall tcp/ip
    reveals this:

    http://www.petri.co.il/reinstall_tcp_ip_on_windows_xp.htm

    - Tim

    >I had the same thoughts and went through a week of not being able to access
    > the internet with my desktop. I went to another newsgroup using my laptop
    > and this was recommended to me, I tried it, and it worked. I keep the
    > program incase it happens again. I have no idea how my winsock was
    > corrupted.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > "William" <wood@mcesurgery.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try. That looks like a
    >> program to repair the registry as it pertains to network settings.
    >> Not sure what exactly what would have caused such a problem with my
    >> registry, though. . .
    >>

    >> "Don" <nj6z@csi.com> wrote in message
    >> > I had a similar problem and fixed it with this. Using the
    >> > A7N8X deluxe early version, Westell Modem, Win2K Pro,etc. It was a
    >> > problem with the winsock.
    >> > The program will say it's for XP but works with Win2K also.
    >> > http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
    >> >

    >> > "William" <wood@mcesurgery.com> wrote in message

    Thanks, Tim for input. I tried to reinstall my TCP/IP in my win2K using
    info from this same site but no matter what I tried, it wouldn't work.
    After I discovered that it was my Winsock, I had no more problems.

    "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:c84tah$as5$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
    > Don,
    >
    > FYI: there is a way to cause TCP/IP to be re-installed using the netsh
    > command in XP (not available in earlier windows versions, but then you
    could
    > reinstall tcp/ip via more normal methods).
    >
    > A quick google for:
    > netsh reinstall tcp/ip
    > reveals this:
    >
    > http://www.petri.co.il/reinstall_tcp_ip_on_windows_xp.htm
    >
    > - Tim
    >

    > "Don" <nj6z@csi.com> wrote in message
    > >I had the same thoughts and went through a week of not being able to
    access
    > > the internet with my desktop. I went to another newsgroup using my
    laptop
    > > and this was recommended to me, I tried it, and it worked. I keep the
    > > program incase it happens again. I have no idea how my winsock was
    > > corrupted.
    > >
    > > Good luck
    > >

    > > "William" <wood@mcesurgery.com> wrote in message
    > >> Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try. That looks like a
    > >> program to repair the registry as it pertains to network settings.
    > >> Not sure what exactly what would have caused such a problem with my
    > >> registry, though. . .
    > >>

    > >> "Don" <nj6z@csi.com> wrote in message

    It

    ISP's

    DSL

Asus Internet Service Providers Motherboards