Windows XP and BIG Hard Drives

May 7, 2004 8:47:10 AM

Help please

I have two 160Gb Hard drives in my PC. Ive learned that
XP will only recognise disk drives up to 137Gb for some
reason, although by the time my machine has done its
stuff it only register as 125Gb. Thats a lot of disk
space to lose off 2 drives but im sure there must be a
solution to this problem since sales of large disks
appear to be brisk. Can anybody offer advice or help on
what to do about this??

Anything will be greatly appreciated

respects

Nick :)
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 11:51:46 AM

Check your motherboard or computer manufacturer's User's Guide
and find how large a hard drive your motherboard is designed to support.

Windows XP Does Not Recognize All Available Disk Space
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316505

How to Enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Nick" <jammy357@hotmail.com> wrote in message:

| Help please
|
| I have two 160Gb Hard drives in my PC. Ive learned that
| XP will only recognise disk drives up to 137Gb for some
| reason, although by the time my machine has done its
| stuff it only register as 125Gb. Thats a lot of disk
| space to lose off 2 drives but im sure there must be a
| solution to this problem since sales of large disks
| appear to be brisk. Can anybody offer advice or help on
| what to do about this??
|
| Anything will be greatly appreciated
|
| respects
|
| Nick :)
May 7, 2004 6:13:49 PM

I Don't have any experience of disks this large, but could you partition
them into a couple of smaller virtual disks?

ChrisM