Color laserjet suggestions for single user

Hi all.
I have a user who currently uses an HP laserjet printer, black and
white.
She has expressed the need for color printouts on occation (she does
some major publications for our work, and this would save her some
time)....
she isnt going to be making constant color copies each day, every
hour, but I would suspect about 5 to 10 full color pages a week, if
that.

90% or more of her documents will need nothing but black and white,
but i certainly dont want her to have to do her color print outs on an
inkjet.

I am going to buy her a color laserjet this summer and was hoping some
folks in this group could offer me some suggestions...
Naturally I have looked at the HP 1500s and 2500s, but even though
those may be in her usage range, I would think I need something a
little better.

I have always had pleasing experiences with HP products. My budget for
this unit would be between 700 and 1000 dollars. It will NOT be
networked, it will be used by this user only.

thanks for your help in advance all!
Jazz Mann

I'm having excellent results with a Minolta Magicolor 2350 ... there
is also a 2300 which is only $500

In article <2044c106.0404141408.5208bd43@posting.google.com>,
jambral79@yahoo.com (jameson) wrote:

> I have a user who currently uses an HP laserjet printer, black and
> white.
> She has expressed the need for color printouts on occation (she does
> some major publications for our work, and this would save her some
> time)....
> she isnt going to be making constant color copies each day, every
> hour, but I would suspect about 5 to 10 full color pages a week, if
> that.
>
> 90% or more of her documents will need nothing but black and white,
> but i certainly dont want her to have to do her color print outs on an
> inkjet.

For 10 to 15 pages a week???

Why in the world NOT?

The inkjet is perfect for what she needs.

In article <2044c106.0404141408.5208bd43@posting.google.com>,
jambral79@yahoo.com (jameson) wrote:

> I have always had pleasing experiences with HP products. My budget for
> this unit would be between 700 and 1000 dollars. It will NOT be
> networked, it will be used by this user only.

What's your budget for supplies and maintenance kits?

Take ALL that into account. If you focus *only* on the purchase price,
you're making a HUGE mistake.

EVERY page that comes out will have a cost associated with it, a cost
that has NOTHING to do with how much the printer costs to acquire.

jambral79@yahoo.com (jameson) wrote in news:2044c106.0404141408.5208bd43
@posting.google.com:

> 90% or more of her documents will need nothing but black and white,
> but i certainly dont want her to have to do her color print outs on an
> inkjet.

Why not?

Get a good colour inkjet for colour work of this volume. Better quality per
buck. Keep the Laser for B&W Printing.

Lordy

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

"jameson" <jambral79@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all.
> I have a user who currently uses an HP laserjet printer, black and
> white.
> She has expressed the need for color printouts on occation (she does
> some major publications for our work, and this would save her some
> time)....
> she isnt going to be making constant color copies each day, every
> hour, but I would suspect about 5 to 10 full color pages a week, if
> that.
>
> 90% or more of her documents will need nothing but black and white,
> but i certainly dont want her to have to do her color print outs on an
> inkjet.
>
> I am going to buy her a color laserjet this summer and was hoping some
> folks in this group could offer me some suggestions...
> Naturally I have looked at the HP 1500s and 2500s, but even though
> those may be in her usage range, I would think I need something a
> little better.
>
> I have always had pleasing experiences with HP products. My budget for
> this unit would be between 700 and 1000 dollars. It will NOT be
> networked, it will be used by this user only.
>
> thanks for your help in advance all!
> Jazz Mann

Also consider OkiData. I love it's glossy printouts. With a color laser,
it's time to design a color letterhead. ;-) It beats inkjet in terms of
convenience, if photo quality is not required.

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:27:50 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<elmop@nastydesigns.com> found these unused words floating about:

>In article <2044c106.0404141408.5208bd43@posting.google.com>,
> jambral79@yahoo.com (jameson) wrote:
>
>> I have always had pleasing experiences with HP products. My budget for
>> this unit would be between 700 and 1000 dollars. It will NOT be
>> networked, it will be used by this user only.
>
>What's your budget for supplies and maintenance kits?
>
>Take ALL that into account. If you focus *only* on the purchase price,
>you're making a HUGE mistake.
>
>EVERY page that comes out will have a cost associated with it, a cost
>that has NOTHING to do with how much the printer costs to acquire.

At 500-600 color pages per year, the original supplies should carry through
- replacing mainly the black toner cart.

<< I have a user who currently uses an HP laserjet printer, black and
white. >>

Jameson-

As others quickly pointed out, a color inkjet printer may be the better choice.
However, she still prints enough black and white laser prints to make that
worthwhile, so perhaps a color laser printer can be justified to satisfy both
needs. Certainly the black toner will be replaced most often, but the original
supply of color toner might last for years.

One to consider, is the HP 4600. I don't know if it has been discontinued, but
some stores have stopped carrying it, and are selling it at a discount to get
rid of their stock (usually just the demonstrator). Last month I found one
marked down from $2000 to $700 at a local Staples store. Their computer system
showed one left at their Birmingham, Alabama store, but it may only cover this
region of the country. CompUSA had theirs marked down 10%. I wonder if they
would price-match?!

Fred