HELP PLEASE: Can't Create Server in OFFLINE mode....

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 10, 2005 6:15:01 AM

I can get to offline mode successfully in CS:S.
But when I create server to play with bots, CS:S still tried to connect
to this server 207.173.177.11 and then CS:S crashed because it can not
connect to that particular master server.
I do not understand why CS:S (or STEAM) has to connect to a master
server when all it should do is create a local server ( I only want ot
play with bots).
It should only connect to 127.0.0.1:27015.
All my gcf files have been validated countless times and all reach %100
and offline ready.
I have had this problem since win98SE and even after upgrade to XP (just
to fix it), CS:S still crashed when I created server offline.
Create server when I am online is succesful though, but I do not want to
connect to the net every time I only want to play with bots.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and Regards,
Daniel.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 6:15:02 AM

Daniel wrote:
> I can get to offline mode successfully in CS:S.
> But when I create server to play with bots, CS:S still tried to connect
> to this server 207.173.177.11 and then CS:S crashed because it can not
> connect to that particular master server.
> I do not understand why CS:S (or STEAM) has to connect to a master
> server when all it should do is create a local server ( I only want ot
> play with bots).
> It should only connect to 127.0.0.1:27015.
> All my gcf files have been validated countless times and all reach %100
> and offline ready.
> I have had this problem since win98SE and even after upgrade to XP (just
> to fix it), CS:S still crashed when I created server offline.
> Create server when I am online is succesful though, but I do not want to
> connect to the net every time I only want to play with bots.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks and Regards,
> Daniel.

Definately unsual behavior. Are you on a LAN or other network and have
an IP of 207.173.177.11? If not, do you know what server that IP belongs
to? Was it a server you played on? I don't know if I'd jump to the
conclusion it's a Steam authentication server.

If you want a fallback fix, try deleting the config.cfg file in your
"Steam/SteamApps/counter strike source/cstrike/cfg" folder. A default
config will be generated and after setting your mouse/keys/sound
settings again, try a game of offline bots again.
February 11, 2005 4:12:34 AM

You are right, I checked back with tracert and :
207.173.69.238 is bound to gw-cust-valvesoftware-com.bllv.eli.net
(It can't reach 207.173.177.11 though).
Therefore 207.173.177.11 must be one of their authentication server.
But why CS:S or STEAM still need to authenticate me even though it has
already let me into the OFFLINE mode?
I'm sorry for double post in other thread.
(BTW, did you read my apologies in another thread?)
Dan.