When printing, everything else slows to a crawl, HP Deskto..

When my friend is printing, the rest of his computer slows to a crawl,
until the printing finishes. He has win98, and an HP Desktop 610CL
color printer.

He's almost always printing black and white text, no color or
graphics.

Can the printer buffer in his printer be broken or disabled? Can it
be re-enabled? Can a printer buffer be assigned or re-enabled in
Windows 98? I have a program that did this for DOS, but there has
been no need for it since I got Windows.

Thanks a lot.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

meirman wrote:
> When my friend is printing, the rest of his computer slows to a crawl,
> until the printing finishes. He has win98, and an HP Desktop 610CL
> color printer.
>
> He's almost always printing black and white text, no color or
> graphics.
>
> Can the printer buffer in his printer be broken or disabled? Can it
> be re-enabled? Can a printer buffer be assigned or re-enabled in
> Windows 98? I have a program that did this for DOS, but there has
> been no need for it since I got Windows.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Meirman
>
> If emailing, please let me know whether
> or not you are posting the same letter.
>
> Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Win98 is a resource-bound operating system and the printer requires the
best of the computer's resources since it has no or little internal
processing or memory. A badly-maintained Win98 will slow printing to a
crawl.

First, there must be at least 300MB-400MB of HD space available. Make
it so. From Internet Options or Internet Explorer Tools menu, delete
temporary internet files and offline content. Open C:\Windows\Temp and
delete the contents. There might be one or two active files, work
around them. Remove all icons, files, and folders from the desktop.
Store them in My Documents. At C:\, the root of C:, remove all user
files, leaving the only the system files and folders. User files should
be stored in My Documents. Do not use desktop wallpaper, screen saver.
Reduce the fonts in the Windows\Fonts folder to say 40 or 50. Eliminate
visual effects for menus and windows - and I cannot remember where
exactly this is found.

From the Run command, type: msconfig[enter]. Select the startup tab.
Uncheck the box for any of the applications that are not absolutely
needed. Use this site for help identifying what applications are
autostarting: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

If using MS Office be sure to disable osa.exe in msconfig, and deinstall
the Office Startup Bar (whatever it is called). Both are excellent
resource hogs.

Now, providing there is now 300-400MB free disk space, from
Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools select Disk Defragmenter. If
the HD has not be defragged recently (most Win98s I've seen have never
been defragged), this will take some considerable time, perhaps several
hours.

Then, verify that windows is managing virtual memory. Select the system
control panel, performance(?) tab, virtual memory.

Reboot and try the printer again.

OK, having done all that, and making sure you have the 300-400MB of free
disk space, it is time to defragment the HD. This will take some time
if it has not been done recently.

Quaoar wrote:
> meirman wrote:
>> When my friend is printing, the rest of his computer slows to a
>> crawl, until the printing finishes. He has win98, and an HP Desktop
>> 610CL color printer.
>>
>> He's almost always printing black and white text, no color or
>> graphics.
>>
>> Can the printer buffer in his printer be broken or disabled? Can it
>> be re-enabled? Can a printer buffer be assigned or re-enabled in
>> Windows 98? I have a program that did this for DOS, but there has
>> been no need for it since I got Windows.
>>
>> Thanks a lot.
>>
>> Meirman
>>
>> If emailing, please let me know whether
>> or not you are posting the same letter.
>>
>> Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.
>
> Win98 is a resource-bound operating system and the printer requires
> the best of the computer's resources since it has no or little
> internal processing or memory. A badly-maintained Win98 will slow
> printing to a crawl.
>
> First, there must be at least 300MB-400MB of HD space available. Make
> it so. From Internet Options or Internet Explorer Tools menu, delete
> temporary internet files and offline content. Open C:\Windows\Temp
> and delete the contents. There might be one or two active files, work
> around them. Remove all icons, files, and folders from the desktop.
> Store them in My Documents. At C:\, the root of C:, remove all user
> files, leaving the only the system files and folders. User files
> should be stored in My Documents. Do not use desktop wallpaper,
> screen saver. Reduce the fonts in the Windows\Fonts folder to say 40
> or 50. Eliminate visual effects for menus and windows - and I cannot
> remember where exactly this is found.
>
> From the Run command, type: msconfig[enter]. Select the startup tab.
> Uncheck the box for any of the applications that are not absolutely
> needed. Use this site for help identifying what applications are
> autostarting: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
>
> If using MS Office be sure to disable osa.exe in msconfig, and
> deinstall the Office Startup Bar (whatever it is called). Both are
> excellent resource hogs.
>
> Now, providing there is now 300-400MB free disk space, from
> Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools select Disk Defragmenter. If
> the HD has not be defragged recently (most Win98s I've seen have never
> been defragged), this will take some considerable time, perhaps
> several hours.
>
> Then, verify that windows is managing virtual memory. Select the
> system control panel, performance(?) tab, virtual memory.
>
> Reboot and try the printer again.

> OK, having done all that, and making sure you have the 300-400MB of
> free disk space, it is time to defragment the HD. This will take
> some time if it has not been done recently.

Huh? Weird. Must have gotten derailed again!

In message <adednXgAzP1pI-PdRVn-jw@comcast.com>, Quaoar
<quaoar@tenthplanet.net> writes

>Win98 is a resource-bound operating system and the printer requires the
>best of the computer's resources since it has no or little internal
>processing or memory. A badly-maintained Win98 will slow printing to a
>crawl.
>
>First, there must be at least 300MB-400MB of HD space available. Make
>it so. From Internet Options or Internet Explorer Tools menu, delete
>temporary internet files and offline content. Open C:\Windows\Temp and
>delete the contents. There might be one or two active files, work
>around them. Remove all icons, files, and folders from the desktop.
>Store them in My Documents. At C:\, the root of C:, remove all user
>files, leaving the only the system files and folders. User files should
>be stored in My Documents. Do not use desktop wallpaper, screen saver.
>Reduce the fonts in the Windows\Fonts folder to say 40 or 50. Eliminate
>visual effects for menus and windows - and I cannot remember where
>exactly this is found.
>
>From the Run command, type: msconfig[enter]. Select the startup tab.
>Uncheck the box for any of the applications that are not absolutely
>needed. Use this site for help identifying what applications are
>autostarting: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
>
>If using MS Office be sure to disable osa.exe in msconfig, and deinstall
>the Office Startup Bar (whatever it is called). Both are excellent
>resource hogs.
>
>Now, providing there is now 300-400MB free disk space, from
>Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools select Disk Defragmenter. If
>the HD has not be defragged recently (most Win98s I've seen have never
>been defragged), this will take some considerable time, perhaps several
>hours.
>
>Then, verify that windows is managing virtual memory. Select the system
>control panel, performance(?) tab, virtual memory.
>
>Reboot and try the printer again.

>OK, having done all that, and making sure you have the 300-400MB of free
>disk space, it is time to defragment the HD. This will take some time
>if it has not been done recently.

'Kin 'ell !!

This sounds like a bad case of the tail wagging the dog !!

And in what sense is Win98 a more resource-bound operating system than
W2k or Linux ?

J/.
--
John Beardmore

In comp.periphs.printers on Thu, 15 Apr 2004 14:00:01 -0600 "Quaoar"
<quaoar@tenthplanet.net> posted:

>Quaoar wrote:
>> meirman wrote:
>>> When my friend is printing, the rest of his computer slows to a
>>> crawl, until the printing finishes. He has win98, and an HP Desktop
>>> 610CL color printer.
>>>
>>> He's almost always printing black and white text, no color or
>>> graphics.
>>>
>>> Can the printer buffer in his printer be broken or disabled? Can it
>>> be re-enabled? Can a printer buffer be assigned or re-enabled in
>>> Windows 98? I have a program that did this for DOS, but there has
>>> been no need for it since I got Windows.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot.
>>>
>>> Meirman
>>>
>> Win98 is a resource-bound operating system and the printer requires
>> the best of the computer's resources since it has no or little
>> internal processing or memory. A badly-maintained Win98 will slow
>> printing to a crawl.
>>
>> First, there must be at least 300MB-400MB of HD space available. Make
>> it so. From Internet Options or Internet Explorer Tools menu, delete
>> temporary internet files and offline content. Open C:\Windows\Temp
>> and delete the contents. There might be one or two active files, work
>> around them. Remove all icons, files, and folders from the desktop.
>> Store them in My Documents. At C:\, the root of C:, remove all user
>> files, leaving the only the system files and folders. User files
>> should be stored in My Documents. Do not use desktop wallpaper,
>> screen saver. Reduce the fonts in the Windows\Fonts folder to say 40
>> or 50. Eliminate visual effects for menus and windows - and I cannot
>> remember where exactly this is found.
>>
>> From the Run command, type: msconfig[enter]. Select the startup tab.
>> Uncheck the box for any of the applications that are not absolutely
>> needed. Use this site for help identifying what applications are
>> autostarting: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
>>
>> If using MS Office be sure to disable osa.exe in msconfig, and
>> deinstall the Office Startup Bar (whatever it is called). Both are
>> excellent resource hogs.
>>
>> Now, providing there is now 300-400MB free disk space, from
>> Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools select Disk Defragmenter. If
>> the HD has not be defragged recently (most Win98s I've seen have never
>> been defragged), this will take some considerable time, perhaps
>> several hours.
>>
>> Then, verify that windows is managing virtual memory. Select the
>> system control panel, performance(?) tab, virtual memory.
>>
>> Reboot and try the printer again.

>> OK, having done all that, and making sure you have the 300-400MB of
>> free disk space, it is time to defragment the HD. This will take
>> some time if it has not been done recently.

Thanks a lot for your advice. I've sent it on to my friend.

>Huh? Weird. Must have gotten derailed again!

This line I don't understand. :) But no big deal.