Improving signal strength?

Is there a way to improve my wireless signal strength in my house. There are
a few walls for the signal to go through, but the signal is still weak at
times, when I'm in the same room as the router. Also, when I tried going to
a hot spot at starbucks, each time I try accessing the internet, i have to
view wireless connections and click to connect it. Did something happen?
--
Thanks for taking the time.
3 answers Last reply

    Hi
    May be this can Help.
    Wireless Router as an AP: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging1.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to improve my wireless signal strength in my house. There
    are
    > a few walls for the signal to go through, but the signal is still weak at
    > times, when I'm in the same room as the router. Also, when I tried going
    > a hot spot at starbucks, each time I try accessing the internet, i have to
    > view wireless connections and click to connect it. Did something happen?
    > --
    > Thanks for taking the time.

    You might try one of the better antennas available now at many computer
    stores. They won't increase signal strength, but the received signal will be
    more likely to get through.

    Ziggy wrote:

    > I was wondering if manipulating the antenas on my router would make a
    > difference? It's advised to keep them in the upright position, but I
    > have 10-foot ceilings in this old place and 8-foot door frames and the
    > signal has to reach around doorways and down a short hallway.
    >
    > I actually found a better signal to the adapter with my antenas tilted
    > toward the door and the adapter antena tilted slightly toward the
    > incoming signal.
    >
    > Or is it just my imagination? ;)
    >
    > Thanks.....
    >
    > Zig

    It probably isn't your imagination. Old houses were built pretty
    solidly, too. You might look into getting a directional antenna
    booster. Another thing that can work is putting the router up higher,
    not under a desk for instance.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User