Sudden shutdowns

Andy

I've been running an A7V333 with an Athlon 2400 for a while with no
problems. Recently the whole thing has been suddenly turning off. It
happens without warning and if it's switched back on straight away it
refuses to post - no beeps, no spoken message, nothing except a black
screen and the fans whirring. Given a minute or two to rest it'll
then boot up without any trouble.
I assumed it was a temperature problem but it went ten days
running 24/7 with a lot of that time playing City of Heroes, which I
figure is a reasonable CPU load, but then shuts down twice in a day
whilst my wife is playing some tiny Shockwave-type game or Solitare.
The only hardware change to the system that fits in timewise is a
change from a Nvidia GF4 4200 to an ATI 9600XT
My next guess would be the power supply - butthat really would be a
guess.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Sounds like it may be time for a heavier duty, higher output, better quality
power supply unit.

--
DaveW

"andy" <andrew.coles@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I've been running an A7V333 with an Athlon 2400 for a while with no
> problems. Recently the whole thing has been suddenly turning off. It
> happens without warning and if it's switched back on straight away it
> refuses to post - no beeps, no spoken message, nothing except a black
> screen and the fans whirring. Given a minute or two to rest it'll
> then boot up without any trouble.
> I assumed it was a temperature problem but it went ten days
> running 24/7 with a lot of that time playing City of Heroes, which I
> figure is a reasonable CPU load, but then shuts down twice in a day
> whilst my wife is playing some tiny Shockwave-type game or Solitare.
> The only hardware change to the system that fits in timewise is a
> change from a Nvidia GF4 4200 to an ATI 9600XT
> My next guess would be the power supply - butthat really would be a
> guess.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks

On Fri, 14 May 2004 21:12:18 +0000 (UTC), andy
<andrew.coles@btinternet.com> wrote:

>I've been running an A7V333 with an Athlon 2400 for a while with no
>problems. Recently the whole thing has been suddenly turning off. It
>happens without warning and if it's switched back on straight away it
>refuses to post - no beeps, no spoken message, nothing except a black
>screen and the fans whirring. Given a minute or two to rest it'll
>then boot up without any trouble.
> I assumed it was a temperature problem but it went ten days
>running 24/7 with a lot of that time playing City of Heroes, which I
>figure is a reasonable CPU load, but then shuts down twice in a day
>whilst my wife is playing some tiny Shockwave-type game or Solitare.
>The only hardware change to the system that fits in timewise is a
>change from a Nvidia GF4 4200 to an ATI 9600XT
>My next guess would be the power supply - butthat really would be a
>guess.

scan for the latest virussen.

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

"andy" <andrew.coles@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I've been running an A7V333 with an Athlon 2400 for a while with no
> problems. Recently the whole thing has been suddenly turning off. It
> happens without warning and if it's switched back on straight away it
> refuses to post - no beeps, no spoken message, nothing except a black
> screen and the fans whirring. Given a minute or two to rest it'll
> then boot up without any trouble.
> I assumed it was a temperature problem but it went ten days
> running 24/7 with a lot of that time playing City of Heroes, which I
> figure is a reasonable CPU load, but then shuts down twice in a day
> whilst my wife is playing some tiny Shockwave-type game or Solitare.
> The only hardware change to the system that fits in timewise is a
> change from a Nvidia GF4 4200 to an ATI 9600XT
> My next guess would be the power supply - butthat really would be a
> guess.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks

Click on system in the control panel. Choose the Advanced tab. Click on
startup and recovery and uncheck automatically restart under system failure.
This should not allow the computer to restart if there is an error, and you
can usually see what the error is.