A7N8X-E Deluxe 1009 bios

I just did a stupid thing. I have 2 A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboards and one had
the 1008 bios, the other had the 1009 bios. Stupid me went and flashed the
1009 bios to 1008 and XP will not boot past the XP First screen with the
progress bar showing. It just continually reboots from that point. I have
tried a Repair Installation of XP and cleared the bios with no luck.
The hard drive is a Maxtor Sata 160 gig. I have changed the First Boot
Device to SCSI and HD-0 and no luck.
Does anyone have the 1009 bios so I can flash it back and hopefully fix
this.

Thanks
Ron

On Sat, 15 May 2004 10:03:21 -0400, "RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote:

>I just did a stupid thing. I have 2 A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboards and one had
>the 1008 bios, the other had the 1009 bios. Stupid me went and flashed the
>1009 bios to 1008 and XP will not boot past the XP First screen with the
>progress bar showing. It just continually reboots from that point. I have
>tried a Repair Installation of XP and cleared the bios with no luck.
>The hard drive is a Maxtor Sata 160 gig. I have changed the First Boot
>Device to SCSI and HD-0 and no luck.
>Does anyone have the 1009 bios so I can flash it back and hopefully fix
>this.
>
>Thanks
>Ron

If you can post to the N why don't you just go DL from Asus's website?

Regards

Andy Lee

--

It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.

They don't have it on their site any more - They pulled it for some unknown
reason.

I have done a clean install of XP and everything is fine now.

Thanks

"Andy Lee" <arl@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sat, 15 May 2004 10:03:21 -0400, "RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote:
>
>>I just did a stupid thing. I have 2 A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboards and one
>>had
>>the 1008 bios, the other had the 1009 bios. Stupid me went and flashed the
>>1009 bios to 1008 and XP will not boot past the XP First screen with the
>>progress bar showing. It just continually reboots from that point. I have
>>tried a Repair Installation of XP and cleared the bios with no luck.
>>The hard drive is a Maxtor Sata 160 gig. I have changed the First Boot
>>Device to SCSI and HD-0 and no luck.
>>Does anyone have the 1009 bios so I can flash it back and hopefully fix
>>this.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Ron
>>

> If you can post to the N why don't you just go DL from Asus's website?
>

> Regards
>
> Andy Lee
>

> --
>
> It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or
> lose.

Andy Lee <arl@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:<rnqfa0pdjd9u6buks0qt9efipplko2ug8m@4ax.com>...
> On Sat, 15 May 2004 10:03:21 -0400, "RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote:
>
> >I just did a stupid thing. I have 2 A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboards and one had
> >the 1008 bios, the other had the 1009 bios. Stupid me went and flashed the
> >1009 bios to 1008 and XP will not boot past the XP First screen with the
> >progress bar showing. It just continually reboots from that point. I have
> >tried a Repair Installation of XP and cleared the bios with no luck.
> >The hard drive is a Maxtor Sata 160 gig. I have changed the First Boot
> >Device to SCSI and HD-0 and no luck.
> >Does anyone have the 1009 bios so I can flash it back and hopefully fix
> >this.
> >
> >Thanks
> >Ron
> >

> If you can post to the N why don't you just go DL from Asus's website?
>

> Regards
>
> Andy Lee

Andy, I believe the problem Ron, has is version 1009 was only on the
web for a very short time and was pulled, as was version 1010.

Ron, I have posted it here:
http://members.cox.net/mypresentations/C18E1010.zip
But this is only for version A7N8X-E Deluxe which is different from
A7N8X

Be absolutely positive this is for your right motherboard.

Most likely the reason you are having problems with XP is because the
boot sequence has changed. You should be able to change this by using
a recovery diskette with XP and putting a new boot.ini on the
diskette. When windows boots it looks at the disk controller, then
the disk number, then the partition number. If the bios changed the
numbering of the controllers, then XP will not boot with a message
like ntldr not found or something. Check the Microsoft Knowledge base
for more info. It could also be because of a hardware detection
problem with the motherboard/bios issue. My board will not
consistently see the SATA controller in the boot sequence due to what
I think is resource allocation issues. A final suggestion is to
remove any unnecessary cards from your system, eg PCI cards, to see if
the resource problem goes away.

Anther thought is check the manual for info on the CMOS jumper and
what it does. Not sure if the board maintains an old/backup version
on the motherboard.

Good Luck !

Thanks Mitch.
One of the boards came out of the box with 1009, the other with 1008.

Any idea's why the 1009 and 1010 were pulled from Asus site ?

On Sun, 16 May 2004 19:09:20 -0400, "RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote:

>They don't have it on their site any more - They pulled it for some unknown
>reason.
>
>I have done a clean install of XP and everything is fine now.
>
>Thanks

Sorry Bud didn't realized they had pulled it Must have been something
wrong for them to pull it.I installed it in mine and had to do a
complete reinstall as well I assumed it was something I had done wrong
as its the only time I've ever had a problem with flashing ASUS boards
in more than 5 years of using them

Regards

Andy Lee

--

It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.

No problem Andy.

I have flashed it back to 1008 and it works good now.

I also had a problem with the 2 sticks of 256X2 dual ddr.
I couold not get the one board to run the memory in dual channel mode. The
first machine was no problem with Dual Channel but the second would not
cooperate.
I understand that there is a small performance loss but I have spent enough
time fighting with the second machine. I have even taken the known memory
out of the first machine, installed it into the second in Dual Channel and
no go. I put the memory from machine 2 into machine 1 and it runs that
memory in dual channel - no problem. Hopefully when they release the new
bios my problem will be fixed.

I had already had to exchange the second motherboard because the Front sound
port was dead but it ran the memory in Dual Channel.
It's just my kind of luck - What can go wrong - Does Go Wrong.

Thanks

Ron

On Sun, 16 May 2004 23:08:46 -0400, "RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote:

>Thanks Mitch.
>One of the boards came out of the box with 1009, the other with 1008.
>
>Any idea's why the 1009 and 1010 were pulled from Asus site ?

I was probably one of the main people to have 1010 pulled. I was
troubleshooting a issue on my new A7N8XE-dlx with ASUS. Turns outI
discovered the main trouble was an incompatible HP software program
(and HP was worthless when I contacted them, they told me where to
send the tape drive for repair, and I insisted the drive was fine, the
software was incompatible - they then ignored me; I don't think I'll
ever bother to buy HP again if their support is so lame!).

Anyway, 1010 caused a blue screen "incompatible boot device" error at
startup. Repeated attemps of 1010 resulted in same. Flashing back 1008
made everything work fine. ASUS kept telling me that 1010 was tested
and safe, then on a subsequent talk with the same support person he
said that because lots of people were having issues with it (me being
one of the main reporters) they were pulling it.

My thoughts...if you don't need to flash a BIOS...DON'T. I was trying
to resolve an issue and thought it might have been BIOS related. Since
not, I don't see a reason to flash beyond 1008. The board is working
perfectly; I did need to uninstall a Plextor CD program, though. It
was causing problems, and Plextor said they stopped supporting it a
couple of years ago. But with that out, I have rarely seen a mobo run
so smoothly as mine is now....

TRENDING THREADS