setting up wireless broadband to router

Hi hope anyone can help.
I have purchased a D-link 802.11g airplus router g+ for a personal network
between my daughter laptop and my sons stand alone and my stand alone pc. I
have managed to connect my pcs together and now successfully share printers
files in a secure network.
However, i can not link up my network to the internet. I have a wireless
internet link via a company called netbandit. They supplied me with a modem
which connects to the back of PC through usb. The problem i have is that my
pc (administrator) beleives the internet is a wireless connection and it
means my new router is expecting an erthnet connection - and my pc is can not
seem to link my wireless broadband with my wireless network.
I hope this makes sense and look forward in receiving some feedback.
Thanks Adrian

Had a similar situation with different equipment. The Internet connection
had to be set to "Transparent Bridging" and the lan router needed to use a
static ip .

Hope that helps a bit.

"Adrian H" wrote:

> Hi hope anyone can help.
> I have purchased a D-link 802.11g airplus router g+ for a personal network
> between my daughter laptop and my sons stand alone and my stand alone pc. I
> have managed to connect my pcs together and now successfully share printers
> files in a secure network.
> However, i can not link up my network to the internet. I have a wireless
> internet link via a company called netbandit. They supplied me with a modem
> which connects to the back of PC through usb. The problem i have is that my
> pc (administrator) beleives the internet is a wireless connection and it
> means my new router is expecting an erthnet connection - and my pc is can not
> seem to link my wireless broadband with my wireless network.
> I hope this makes sense and look forward in receiving some feedback.
> Thanks Adrian

thank you for your support. But i don't understand - sorry i am new to this.
How do i go about setting this up.
thanks once again

"bobhpdx" wrote:

> Had a similar situation with different equipment. The Internet connection
> had to be set to "Transparent Bridging" and the lan router needed to use a
> static ip .
>
> Hope that helps a bit.
>
> "Adrian H" wrote:
>
> > Hi hope anyone can help.
> > I have purchased a D-link 802.11g airplus router g+ for a personal network
> > between my daughter laptop and my sons stand alone and my stand alone pc. I
> > have managed to connect my pcs together and now successfully share printers
> > files in a secure network.
> > However, i can not link up my network to the internet. I have a wireless
> > internet link via a company called netbandit. They supplied me with a modem
> > which connects to the back of PC through usb. The problem i have is that my
> > pc (administrator) beleives the internet is a wireless connection and it
> > means my new router is expecting an erthnet connection - and my pc is can not
> > seem to link my wireless broadband with my wireless network.
> > I hope this makes sense and look forward in receiving some feedback.
> > Thanks Adrian

Hey Adrian
I am no expert at this and had trouble migrating from SP1 to SP2
particularly resolving Zone Alarm settings. It sounds as if you may have
your modem hooked up wrong.
If I read you correctly you have got your pc and your children's computers
on a network through router and you have connected your internet modem to
the PC.
The PC can access the Internet but the children's pc's cannot.

Now in practice the modem has got to be plugged into the router if both the
wireless users and the workstation are all going to connect to the internet.

For example, first after disconnecting for the internet wall plug, disable
your Antivirus, turn off the Windows Security Centre and set up like so:

1 ISP Cable Broadband Input -Cable Modem- Wireless Router
2 Router -USB Cable- Ethernet Card in WorkStation
3 Other computers have D-Link wireless cards plugged in
4 Router is configured dynamically get ISP DNS
5 Zone Alarm shows Network 192.1680.0/255.255.255.0 Internet Zone
.................................Wireless 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.254 Trusted
Zone
Then assuming you have locked down the MAC on your home network with a
secure password enable NAV, enable ZA and reconnect the modem to the
internet wall plug.
If you can connect from your PC to the children but not the internet and you
do NOT see your ISP in Control panel\Network Connections but can see the
wireless connections then likely you have a faulty router.
John
"Adrian H" <Adrian H@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi hope anyone can help.
> I have purchased a D-link 802.11g airplus router g+ for a personal network
> between my daughter laptop and my sons stand alone and my stand alone pc.
> have managed to connect my pcs together and now successfully share
> printers
> files in a secure network.
> However, i can not link up my network to the internet. I have a wireless
> internet link via a company called netbandit. They supplied me with a
> modem
> which connects to the back of PC through usb. The problem i have is that
> my
> pc (administrator) beleives the internet is a wireless connection and it
> means my new router is expecting an erthnet connection - and my pc is can
> not
> seem to link my wireless broadband with my wireless network.
> I hope this makes sense and look forward in receiving some feedback.
> Thanks Adrian

John
Thank you so much for trying to help. The issue is ..... I have an airial
on the roof attached to my modem in the house (wireless connection) there is
then another cable comming out of the modem into my pc. This cable is a USB
cable and plugd in to the back of the pc ~ USB input socket. Therefore
unlike a traditional modem ~ my modem does not have an earthnet cable to plug
directly in to the router. I have connected an earthnet cable from the back
of the pc to the router!
Adrian ~ hope this makes sense!

> I am no expert at this and had trouble migrating from SP1 to SP2
> particularly resolving Zone Alarm settings. It sounds as if you may have
> your modem hooked up wrong.
> If I read you correctly you have got your pc and your children's computers
> on a network through router and you have connected your internet modem to
> the PC.
> The PC can access the Internet but the children's pc's cannot.
>
> Now in practice the modem has got to be plugged into the router if both the
> wireless users and the workstation are all going to connect to the internet.
>
> For example, first after disconnecting for the internet wall plug, disable
> your Antivirus, turn off the Windows Security Centre and set up like so:
>
> 1 ISP Cable Broadband Input -Cable Modem- Wireless Router
> 2 Router -USB Cable- Ethernet Card in WorkStation
> 3 Other computers have D-Link wireless cards plugged in
> 4 Router is configured dynamically get ISP DNS
> 5 Zone Alarm shows Network 192.1680.0/255.255.255.0 Internet Zone
> .................................Wireless 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.254 Trusted
> Zone
> Then assuming you have locked down the MAC on your home network with a
> secure password enable NAV, enable ZA and reconnect the modem to the
> internet wall plug.
> If you can connect from your PC to the children but not the internet and you
> do NOT see your ISP in Control panel\Network Connections but can see the
> wireless connections then likely you have a faulty router.
> John
> "Adrian H" <Adrian H@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi hope anyone can help.
> > I have purchased a D-link 802.11g airplus router g+ for a personal network
> > between my daughter laptop and my sons stand alone and my stand alone pc.
> > have managed to connect my pcs together and now successfully share
> > printers
> > files in a secure network.
> > However, i can not link up my network to the internet. I have a wireless
> > internet link via a company called netbandit. They supplied me with a
> > modem
> > which connects to the back of PC through usb. The problem i have is that
> > my
> > pc (administrator) beleives the internet is a wireless connection and it
> > means my new router is expecting an erthnet connection - and my pc is can
> > not
> > seem to link my wireless broadband with my wireless network.
> > I hope this makes sense and look forward in receiving some feedback.
> > Thanks Adrian

Hi Adrian,

The most common setup for connecting to the Internet using a wireless
router has a modem connected directly to the WAN port of a router. The PCs
then are directly plugged into the router with Ethernet cables (on the LAN
ports of the router), or connect over wireless to the router (to the WLAN -
Wireless LAN).

I would advise you to first see if you can get a modem from your ISP
that can use Ethernet rather than USB, so you can directly connect it to the
router. If you are unable to get a modem that will use Ethernet you might
be able to use Internet Connection Sharing to allow your other computers to
access the Internet.

Here is a link to an article which describes how to set up Internet
Connection Sharing:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/ics.mspx

Thanks
Chris Gual [MSFT]

"Adrian H" <Adrian H@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi hope anyone can help.
> I have purchased a D-link 802.11g airplus router g+ for a personal network
> between my daughter laptop and my sons stand alone and my stand alone pc.
> have managed to connect my pcs together and now successfully share
> printers
> files in a secure network.
> However, i can not link up my network to the internet. I have a wireless
> internet link via a company called netbandit. They supplied me with a
> modem
> which connects to the back of PC through usb. The problem i have is that
> my
> pc (administrator) beleives the internet is a wireless connection and it
> means my new router is expecting an erthnet connection - and my pc is can
> not
> seem to link my wireless broadband with my wireless network.
> I hope this makes sense and look forward in receiving some feedback.
> Thanks Adrian

Adrian,

I think you have to get a different router which will accept the moem cable
and then the router wireless connects to the kids