insulators needed under mobo's mounting screws?

rs

I am repairing a computer that has a AOpen Slot 1 motherboard that won't
boot. (The CPU tests OK on another system, as does the RAM)

I have purchased a used ASUS Slot 1 motherboard off of eBay. I am now in the
process of swapping the motherboards and I see that the old motherboard has
pieces of black electrical tape on the bottom where the mounting screws poke
through. Is this necessary? I know that bags of hardware that comes with
computer cases used to (I recall) include little brown "paper" washers.

Thanks for any knowledgeable opinions / clarification !

-RS-

Ed

On Sat, 15 May 2004 20:08:10 GMT, "RS" <jf_reneX@Xhotmail.com> wrote:

>I am repairing a computer that has a AOpen Slot 1 motherboard that won't
>boot. (The CPU tests OK on another system, as does the RAM)
>
>I have purchased a used ASUS Slot 1 motherboard off of eBay. I am now in the
>process of swapping the motherboards and I see that the old motherboard has
>pieces of black electrical tape on the bottom where the mounting screws poke
>through. Is this necessary? I know that bags of hardware that comes with
>computer cases used to (I recall) include little brown "paper" washers.
>
>Thanks for any knowledgeable opinions / clarification !
>
>-RS-

The last time I had to use those brown washers (and plastic standoffs)
was on the older AT cases and AT boards, I've never used or seen em on a
ATX case/board setup and they've all run just fine. ;p

Ed

rs

Thanks, that makes sense !

FYO:
((The old motherboard was an AOpen MX6E PLUS which has an Intel 440EX
chipset. ))
((The new one is an Asus P2B-F which has an Intel BX chipset.))

Now I have a different problem: I have printed off the 80 page PDF manual
from Asus's site ... and have installed the motherboard; set the jumpers to
the proper bus speed and multiplier; installed the CPU and 2 sticks of
memory (128mB total) ; installed just one card - the PCI video card;
connected the PS power plug to the mobo ...and hooked up most of the control
leads like reset, power SW leads to mobo, speaker, etc. leads. But what
happens when I turn on the Power Supply's switch (at the back) is the
following:

- unit powers up without waiting for me to press the power-on button on the
front of the tower
- Keyboard's 3 lights flash once on momentarily
- no beep or anything from speaker
- CPU fan operates.
- nothing shows on the monitor ... it's green LED continues to flash from
time to time like it is in sleep mode.

Based on the above symptoms, what is the general consensus as to what is
wrong?

Thanks !

-RS-

RS wrote:
> I am repairing a computer that has a AOpen Slot 1 motherboard that won't
> boot. (The CPU tests OK on another system, as does the RAM)
>
> I have purchased a used ASUS Slot 1 motherboard off of eBay. I am now in the
> process of swapping the motherboards and I see that the old motherboard has
> pieces of black electrical tape on the bottom where the mounting screws poke
> through. Is this necessary? I know that bags of hardware that comes with
> computer cases used to (I recall) include little brown "paper" washers.
>
> Thanks for any knowledgeable opinions / clarification !
>
> -RS-

The washers should only be required if there's no special 'ring' area
around the mounting hole at the bottomside of the board, in order to
prevent harm to the protective coating.
I've also read somewhere that they help in minimising the vibrations
during transportation (theoretically those could gradually knock a screw
off its mount hole) but I really doubt the paper-like ones would have
any useful such effects.
They're not really insulating the motherboard from chassis ground since
grounding is still achieved through the topside hole 'ring', so they're
not totally catastrophic either. But it's still better to leave themn
off, I haven't seen any motherboard lacking the appropriate keepout
area. Maybe it was the case with very old Baby AT designs but the Amiga
still ruled those days so I never got my hands on such a PC ;)

Regards
Nikos

RS wrote:

> Thanks, that makes sense !
>
> FYO:
> ((The old motherboard was an AOpen MX6E PLUS which has an Intel 440EX
> chipset. ))
> ((The new one is an Asus P2B-F which has an Intel BX chipset.))
>
> Now I have a different problem: I have printed off the 80 page PDF manual
> from Asus's site ... and have installed the motherboard; set the jumpers to
> the proper bus speed and multiplier; installed the CPU and 2 sticks of
> memory (128mB total) ; installed just one card - the PCI video card;
> connected the PS power plug to the mobo ...and hooked up most of the control
> leads like reset, power SW leads to mobo, speaker, etc. leads. But what
> happens when I turn on the Power Supply's switch (at the back) is the
> following:
>
> - unit powers up without waiting for me to press the power-on button on the
> front of the tower
> - Keyboard's 3 lights flash once on momentarily
> - no beep or anything from speaker
> - CPU fan operates.
> - nothing shows on the monitor ... it's green LED continues to flash from
> time to time like it is in sleep mode.
>
> Based on the above symptoms, what is the general consensus as to what is
> wrong?
>
> Thanks !
>
> -RS-

Make sure there's not any metal standoff forgotten in the case, where
there's no corresponding mounting hole on the P2B. This will eliminate
short circuit problems.
I assume the RAM sticks are from the old board so they should be BX
compatible.
Try power cycling the motherboard with the CPU removed, i.e. unplug
mains power, remove CPU, restore mains power and power up, power down
and remove mains, install CPU. For some reason this sometimes happened.
Play with shifting the RAM in other slots, ditto for the PCI card, but
these are mostly cosmetic suggestions.
Hopefully the motherboard is not terminally unable to boot the CPU.
Well, and make sure the CPU is actually supported by this specific
motherboard/revision/subrevision/BIOS etc.

Regards
Nikos

Most ATX boards control the power on/off in software - when you apply AC
power, they default to power-on, then the BIOS briefly wakes up and if the
system is set to not power up after AC power loss, it turns itself off
again. If something is preventing the CPU from working properly it will just
stay on with no activity.

If the board and CPU are known to be good, then most likely either something
is shorting the motherboard to the case, or else perhaps the power supply is
not supplying the proper voltages to the board?

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

On Sun, 16 May 2004 02:58:51 GMT, "RS" <jf_reneX@Xhotmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks, that makes sense !
>
>FYO:
>((The old motherboard was an AOpen MX6E PLUS which has an Intel 440EX
>chipset. ))
>((The new one is an Asus P2B-F which has an Intel BX chipset.))
>
>Now I have a different problem: I have printed off the 80 page PDF manual
>from Asus's site ... and have installed the motherboard; set the jumpers to
>the proper bus speed and multiplier; installed the CPU and 2 sticks of
>memory (128mB total) ; installed just one card - the PCI video card;
>connected the PS power plug to the mobo ...and hooked up most of the control
>leads like reset, power SW leads to mobo, speaker, etc. leads. But what
>happens when I turn on the Power Supply's switch (at the back) is the
>following:

remove all the cables from control header. only power & speaker stay
connected check it again if the are in the correct place.confirm it
with the text on the mainboard & manual.

and check the cmos clear jumper. clear the cmos with that jumper or
remove the battery for a night. that clear the cmos setting.

>- unit powers up without waiting for me to press the power-on button on the
>front of the tower
>- Keyboard's 3 lights flash once on momentarily
>- no beep or anything from speaker
>- CPU fan operates.
>- nothing shows on the monitor ... it's green LED continues to flash from
>time to time like it is in sleep mode.

maby a bad or wrong bios ?