Trouble booting into Start Mode?

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

Asus P4C 800E Deluxe, Intel P4, 3.2 with 1024 Kingston Memory.

I would like to be able to boot into safe mode because I want to be able
to defrag from there - and because I may need to some day.

As soon as the bios info comes up and the memory is checked, I start
hitting f8. Eventually I get a box which asks whether I want to boot
from a floppy, my regular hard drive, or a CD (in that order).

I choose the regular drive and it proceeds to boot and function in the
normal way - not in safe mode.

Is there a trick? Am I doing it at the wrong time in the cycle?

TIA

Louise

yup, you need to keep tapping F8 just before the OS starts to load or else
as you have found, tapping in earlier brings up the one off boot menu.
cheers

On Sun, 16 May 2004 07:53:04 +0100, "Ayoub" <she1@hotmail.com> wrote:

>yup, you need to keep tapping F8 just before the OS starts to load or else
>as you have found, tapping in earlier brings up the one off boot menu.
>cheers

Just holding it down works too!

Cheers,

Guy

** I may not be perfect, but I'm
** English, and that's the next best thing!

Or, if your running XP Start>Run>msconfig>Boot.ini then put a tick in the
/SAFEBOOT box. Next time you restart it will start in safe mode. Remove the
tick to start as normal.
"Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Asus P4C 800E Deluxe, Intel P4, 3.2 with 1024 Kingston Memory.
>
> I would like to be able to boot into safe mode because I want to be able
> to defrag from there - and because I may need to some day.
>
> As soon as the bios info comes up and the memory is checked, I start
> hitting f8. Eventually I get a box which asks whether I want to boot
> from a floppy, my regular hard drive, or a CD (in that order).
>
> I choose the regular drive and it proceeds to boot and function in the
> normal way - not in safe mode.
>
> Is there a trick? Am I doing it at the wrong time in the cycle?
>
> TIA
>
> Louise

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <c879ic$p99$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>, big_badger@NOSPAM.com
says...
> Or, if your running XP Start>Run>msconfig>Boot.ini then put a tick in the
> /SAFEBOOT box. Next time you restart it will start in safe mode. Remove the
> tick to start as normal.

Thanks everybody - I felt kind of stupid posting this but I'm glad I
did!

Louise

On Sun, 16 May 2004 23:01:12 -0400, Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote:

>Thanks everybody - I felt kind of stupid posting this but I'm glad I
>did!

Louise,

Never feel stupid asking for help.

Take care.

Cheers,

Guy

** I may not be perfect, but I'm
** English, and that's the next best thing!

In article <MPG.1b10d0df72e0a1489896bf@news.newsguy.com>, none@nospam.com
says...
> Asus P4C 800E Deluxe, Intel P4, 3.2 with 1024 Kingston Memory.
>
> I would like to be able to boot into safe mode because I want to be able
> to defrag from there - and because I may need to some day.
>
> As soon as the bios info comes up and the memory is checked, I start
> hitting f8. Eventually I get a box which asks whether I want to boot
> from a floppy, my regular hard drive, or a CD (in that order).

Are you running Windows 95?

The bootkey for 98 is Ctrl. Possibly different on other versions of
Windows.

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <MPG.1b1442d38acf8eea989763@news.paradise.net.nz>,
patrickdunford@nomail.invalid says...
> In article <MPG.1b10d0df72e0a1489896bf@news.newsguy.com>, none@nospam.com
> says...
> > Asus P4C 800E Deluxe, Intel P4, 3.2 with 1024 Kingston Memory.
> >
> > I would like to be able to boot into safe mode because I want to be able
> > to defrag from there - and because I may need to some day.
> >
> > As soon as the bios info comes up and the memory is checked, I start
> > hitting f8. Eventually I get a box which asks whether I want to boot
> > from a floppy, my regular hard drive, or a CD (in that order).
>
> Are you running Windows 95?
>
> The bootkey for 98 is Ctrl. Possibly different on other versions of
> Windows.

Thanks for thinking of that but I'm running XP Pro

Louise