Upgrading CPU on P4B266-C

I have been trying to upgrade the CPU on my P4B266-C without success.

I currently have a P4 1.6G CPU, with a 16x multiplier. I have tried several
faster CPU's, and none of them will boot at all after installing. When I
switch back, each time, to my original 1.6G CPU, and boot again, I am taken
directly into BIOS's Advanced menu. In BIOS, on that menu, there is an error
msg saying that the previous boot failed because of a CPU multiplier error.

Does Asus store the original CPU's multiplier in, possibly, CMOS, and flag an
error if it ever sees a different multiplier?

Do I need to clear or change something in BIOS when changing the CPU?

Why does the CPU multiplier make a difference to the motherboard as long
as the bus frequency (400/100 MHz in my case) is right?

Oh, BTW...

I am using the BIOS beta version, 1007.002 (Asus Tw). I have also tried beta 1007.003 (Asus De)
and released 1006.

In article <40A77CF9.93542220@Early.com>, Walt@Early.com
says...
> I have been trying to upgrade the CPU on my P4B266-C without success.
>
> I currently have a P4 1.6G CPU, with a 16x multiplier. I have tried several
> faster CPU's, and none of them will boot at all after installing. When I
> switch back, each time, to my original 1.6G CPU, and boot again, I am taken
> directly into BIOS's Advanced menu. In BIOS, on that menu, there is an error
> msg saying that the previous boot failed because of a CPU multiplier error.
>
> Does Asus store the original CPU's multiplier in, possibly, CMOS, and flag an
> error if it ever sees a different multiplier?
>
> Do I need to clear or change something in BIOS when changing the CPU?
>
> Why does the CPU multiplier make a difference to the motherboard as long
> as the bus frequency (400/100 MHz in my case) is right?

Ignore the error message--have you upgraded the bios ? Which
faster cpu are you trying to run ?

--
Best Regards,

I have tried a couple of different "current" BIOS versions, both
released and beta.

I have tried 2.2G, 2.4G, and 2.6G. All 400MHz FSB CPU's.
Asus's website, unfortunately, gives different max's, depending
on where you look on their site. I had hoped that at least one
of those pages was right. I guess it is possible that all of them
are wrong, and no 2.x CPU will work.

The General wrote:

> Ignore the error message--have you upgraded the bios ? Which
> faster cpu are you trying to run ?

In article <40A7802C.C6BB9349@Early.com>, Walt@Early.com
says...
> I have tried a couple of different "current" BIOS versions, both
> released and beta.
>
> I have tried 2.2G, 2.4G, and 2.6G. All 400MHz FSB CPU's.
> Asus's website, unfortunately, gives different max's, depending
> on where you look on their site. I had hoped that at least one
> of those pages was right. I guess it is possible that all of them
> are wrong, and no 2.x CPU will work.

the first such board I had was sent back under RMA as it too
would not run the 2.6/100FSB with bios 1006. The replacement
board runs that cpu just fine.

--
Best Regards,

On Mon, 17 May 2004 01:47:27 +0000, The General wrote:

> In article <40A7802C.C6BB9349@Early.com>, Walt@Early.com says...
>> I have tried a couple of different "current" BIOS versions, both
>> released and beta.
>>
>> I have tried 2.2G, 2.4G, and 2.6G. All 400MHz FSB CPU's. Asus's
>> website, unfortunately, gives different max's, depending on where you
>> look on their site. I had hoped that at least one of those pages was
>> right. I guess it is possible that all of them are wrong, and no 2.x
>> CPU will work.
>
> the first such board I had was sent back under RMA as it too would not
> run the 2.6/100FSB with bios 1006. The replacement board runs that cpu
> just fine.

I'm running 2.5GHz/533 @132 stock 1.5V (set to 1.55 in bios) on my
p4b266-c 1007.002, so that I can get the 3:4 cpu:memory bus ratio
(~DDR350), nice and stable. I'm not sure that helps you, as it is using a
19x multiplier. This processor is an unlocked one, and I did run it very
shortly at 24x - 2.4GHz/400...

--
We HAVE been at war with Iraq for 13 years now, bombing their
country on at least a weekly basis.

Thanks for the reply! If I am reading your reply correctly, you have
a CPU which has a hardware 19x multiplier. Using BIOS, you have
up'ed it to 24x, but the hardware still read the same.

I have tried "jumperless" mode. I have tried "jumper" mode with the
jumpers set to 24x. I still get the same error. :(

I have just re-tested the new CPU in another PC (which has a much newer
MB), and it booted just fine. So, I am still sure the new CPU is good, and
hasn't been damaged inserting and removing it numerous times.

At this point, I am not sure if the problem is (1) with BIOS seeing the
24x multiplier as an error, or (2) with BIOS _not_ seeing the 16x multiplier
of my old CPU as an error.

I am still leaning toward the second one. I have this hutch that
BIOS is seeing the different multiplier, but doesn't realize that it is a new
CPU, and flags the multiplier changing as an unexpected CPU fault.

Ah well.... if anyone has any thoughts, I would appreciate hearing them.