Upgrading CPU on P4B266-C

I have been trying to upgrade the CPU on my P4B266-C without success.

I currently have a P4 1.6G CPU, with a 16x multiplier. I have tried several
faster CPU's, and none of them will boot at all after installing. When I
switch back, each time, to my original 1.6G CPU, and boot again, I am taken
directly into BIOS's Advanced menu. In BIOS, on that menu, there is an error
msg saying that the previous boot failed because of a CPU multiplier error.

Does Asus store the original CPU's multiplier in, possibly, CMOS, and flag an
error if it ever sees a different multiplier?

Do I need to clear or change something in BIOS when changing the CPU?

Why does the CPU multiplier make a difference to the motherboard as long
as the bus frequency (400/100 MHz in my case) is right?
6 answers Last reply
More about upgrading p4b266

    Oh, BTW...

    I am using the BIOS beta version, 1007.002 (Asus Tw). I have also tried beta 1007.003 (Asus De)
    and released 1006.

    In article <40A77CF9.93542220@Early.com>, Walt@Early.com
    says...
    > I have been trying to upgrade the CPU on my P4B266-C without success.
    >
    > I currently have a P4 1.6G CPU, with a 16x multiplier. I have tried several
    > faster CPU's, and none of them will boot at all after installing. When I
    > switch back, each time, to my original 1.6G CPU, and boot again, I am taken
    > directly into BIOS's Advanced menu. In BIOS, on that menu, there is an error
    > msg saying that the previous boot failed because of a CPU multiplier error.
    >
    > Does Asus store the original CPU's multiplier in, possibly, CMOS, and flag an
    > error if it ever sees a different multiplier?
    >
    > Do I need to clear or change something in BIOS when changing the CPU?
    >
    > Why does the CPU multiplier make a difference to the motherboard as long
    > as the bus frequency (400/100 MHz in my case) is right?

    Ignore the error message--have you upgraded the bios ? Which
    faster cpu are you trying to run ?

    --
    Best Regards,

    I have tried a couple of different "current" BIOS versions, both
    released and beta.

    I have tried 2.2G, 2.4G, and 2.6G. All 400MHz FSB CPU's.
    Asus's website, unfortunately, gives different max's, depending
    on where you look on their site. I had hoped that at least one
    of those pages was right. I guess it is possible that all of them
    are wrong, and no 2.x CPU will work.

    The General wrote:

    > Ignore the error message--have you upgraded the bios ? Which
    > faster cpu are you trying to run ?

    In article <40A7802C.C6BB9349@Early.com>, Walt@Early.com
    says...
    > I have tried a couple of different "current" BIOS versions, both
    > released and beta.
    >
    > I have tried 2.2G, 2.4G, and 2.6G. All 400MHz FSB CPU's.
    > Asus's website, unfortunately, gives different max's, depending
    > on where you look on their site. I had hoped that at least one
    > of those pages was right. I guess it is possible that all of them
    > are wrong, and no 2.x CPU will work.

    the first such board I had was sent back under RMA as it too
    would not run the 2.6/100FSB with bios 1006. The replacement
    board runs that cpu just fine.

    --
    Best Regards,

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 01:47:27 +0000, The General wrote:

    > In article <40A7802C.C6BB9349@Early.com>, Walt@Early.com says...
    >> I have tried a couple of different "current" BIOS versions, both
    >> released and beta.
    >>
    >> I have tried 2.2G, 2.4G, and 2.6G. All 400MHz FSB CPU's. Asus's
    >> website, unfortunately, gives different max's, depending on where you
    >> look on their site. I had hoped that at least one of those pages was
    >> right. I guess it is possible that all of them are wrong, and no 2.x
    >> CPU will work.
    >
    > the first such board I had was sent back under RMA as it too would not
    > run the 2.6/100FSB with bios 1006. The replacement board runs that cpu
    > just fine.

    I'm running 2.5GHz/533 @132 stock 1.5V (set to 1.55 in bios) on my
    p4b266-c 1007.002, so that I can get the 3:4 cpu:memory bus ratio
    (~DDR350), nice and stable. I'm not sure that helps you, as it is using a
    19x multiplier. This processor is an unlocked one, and I did run it very
    shortly at 24x - 2.4GHz/400...

    --
    We HAVE been at war with Iraq for 13 years now, bombing their
    country on at least a weekly basis.

    Thanks for the reply! If I am reading your reply correctly, you have
    a CPU which has a hardware 19x multiplier. Using BIOS, you have
    up'ed it to 24x, but the hardware still read the same.

    I have tried "jumperless" mode. I have tried "jumper" mode with the
    jumpers set to 24x. I still get the same error. :(

    I have just re-tested the new CPU in another PC (which has a much newer
    MB), and it booted just fine. So, I am still sure the new CPU is good, and
    hasn't been damaged inserting and removing it numerous times.

    At this point, I am not sure if the problem is (1) with BIOS seeing the
    24x multiplier as an error, or (2) with BIOS _not_ seeing the 16x multiplier
    of my old CPU as an error.

    I am still leaning toward the second one. I have this hutch that
    BIOS is seeing the different multiplier, but doesn't realize that it is a new
    CPU, and flags the multiplier changing as an unexpected CPU fault.

    Ah well.... if anyone has any thoughts, I would appreciate hearing them.

    Ixnei wrote:

    > I'm running 2.5GHz/533 @132 stock 1.5V (set to 1.55 in bios) on my
    > p4b266-c 1007.002, so that I can get the 3:4 cpu:memory bus ratio
    > (~DDR350), nice and stable. I'm not sure that helps you, as it is using a
    > 19x multiplier. This processor is an unlocked one, and I did run it very
    > shortly at 24x - 2.4GHz/400...

Asus Boot CPUs Motherboards