P4C800E-Deluxe MB revision question

I am upgrading and got the above MB. The MB (from newegg) says P4C800E-D
Canterwood.

- What is canterwood and what is the significance of this ?

- The user guide shipped with MB shows bios options that are not actually
available in the BIOS setup; for example, the CPU ration setting in the
advanced CPU configuration menu?.

- THe MB reviison is 2.00. Is this the later revision?.

Thanks for clarifying this.

GR

Paul

Splendid

In article <buWpc.31073$Lm3.26366@lakeread04>, "GRNews" <grnews@cox.net> wrote:

> I am upgrading and got the above MB. The MB (from newegg) says P4C800E-D
> Canterwood.
>
> - What is canterwood and what is the significance of this ?

That is the Intel internal codename for that particular Northbridge.
The 875P is the part number. No real significance. Just another
dual channel Northbridge.

> - The user guide shipped with MB shows bios options that are not actually
> available in the BIOS setup; for example, the CPU ration setting in the
> advanced CPU configuration menu?.

There are locked and unlocked processors. The unlocked desktop
processors are typically marked on top "Engineering Sample" or ES.
With an ES installed, the CPU ratio option would be available.
If is possible with a Mobile processor installed, that the CPU
ratio option is available as well (don't remember all the details).
Retail desktop processors are generally locked. (Exceptions to the
rule are in the server domain, as it appears Xeon processors support
changing the multiplier to lower values if you want. A PC-DL is
an example of an 875P motherboard that supports using dual
Xeon processors.)

> - THe MB reviison is 2.00. Is this the later revision?.
>
> Thanks for clarifying this.
>
> GR

Not really sure. It could be that P4C800 Deluxe was the
revision 1 stream, and the P4C800-E Deluxe is the revision 2
stream. Other than user anecdotes, I don't know if there is a
way to identify all the revisions, short of doing some
searching on the forums of abxzone.com. Motherboard manufacturers
generally don't want to encourage "cherry picking" of their
boards, for obvious reasons. (That is why, when I bought my
last Asus mobo, I had my local store open the box, so I could
verify I was getting the revision I wanted :) I'm not aware
of any issues with revisions of your board, so it should be
safe to buy.

I think some early boards from the original P4C800 had issues
with a solder blob on the bottom of the board, underneath the
plastic reinforcement for the CPU socket. That was a long time
ago, and unless you are buying used, you won't find any of those
at retail.

HTH,
Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the clarification. Appreciate your input.

GR
> In article <buWpc.31073$Lm3.26366@lakeread04>, "GRNews" <grnews@cox.net>
wrote:

> > I am upgrading and got the above MB. The MB (from newegg) says P4C800E-D
> > Canterwood.
> >
> > - What is canterwood and what is the significance of this ?
>
> That is the Intel internal codename for that particular Northbridge.
> The 875P is the part number. No real significance. Just another
> dual channel Northbridge.
>

> > - The user guide shipped with MB shows bios options that are not
actually
> > available in the BIOS setup; for example, the CPU ration setting in the
> > advanced CPU configuration menu?.
>
> There are locked and unlocked processors. The unlocked desktop
> processors are typically marked on top "Engineering Sample" or ES.
> With an ES installed, the CPU ratio option would be available.
> If is possible with a Mobile processor installed, that the CPU
> ratio option is available as well (don't remember all the details).
> Retail desktop processors are generally locked. (Exceptions to the
> rule are in the server domain, as it appears Xeon processors support
> changing the multiplier to lower values if you want. A PC-DL is
> an example of an 875P motherboard that supports using dual
> Xeon processors.)
>

> > - THe MB reviison is 2.00. Is this the later revision?.
> >
> > Thanks for clarifying this.
> >
> > GR
>
> Not really sure. It could be that P4C800 Deluxe was the
> revision 1 stream, and the P4C800-E Deluxe is the revision 2
> stream. Other than user anecdotes, I don't know if there is a
> way to identify all the revisions, short of doing some
> searching on the forums of abxzone.com. Motherboard manufacturers
> generally don't want to encourage "cherry picking" of their
> boards, for obvious reasons. (That is why, when I bought my
> last Asus mobo, I had my local store open the box, so I could
> verify I was getting the revision I wanted :) I'm not aware
> of any issues with revisions of your board, so it should be
> safe to buy.
>
> I think some early boards from the original P4C800 had issues
> with a solder blob on the bottom of the board, underneath the
> plastic reinforcement for the CPU socket. That was a long time
> ago, and unless you are buying used, you won't find any of those
> at retail.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Yup, it is the latest board. Mine is running a 2.4C at 3.32 GHZ!

"GRNews" <grnews@cox.net> wrote in news:buWpc.31073$Lm3.26366
@lakeread04: