ASUS P3B-F - Does it support REGISTERED RAM-modules?

I have a P3B-F rev1.04. I am running P3B-F ACPI BIOS 1008 beta 04.
I can't figure out wheter this MB support the Registered Kingston module:
KVR100X72RC2L/256 or not.
I'm almost sure that if it wasn't registered it would be compatible - since
it consists of 18 RAM-chips organised as 16Mx8.
According to:
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/ram_bx_faq.html
the i440BX chipset generally support registered memory but advices to check
the manaul - and the P3B-F manual (1.04) is more dubious.

And why I choose this ECC memory module? - it is cheap: 40$!. And the only
256MB module I can get at present that possibly would work.

Thanks

Torben Birk Christensen
(Remove fruit to email)
13 answers Last reply
More about asus support registered modules

    Torben Birk wrote:

    > the i440BX chipset generally support registered memory but advices to check
    > the manaul - and the P3B-F manual (1.04) is more dubious.

    The manual -
    http://www.asuscom.de/pub/ASUS/mb/slot1/440bx/p3b-f/p3bf-104.pdf -
    is not dubious at all - well, they don't list Kingston;-)

    You may wish to check www.crucial.com > Memory Upgrade... they offer
    ECC modules which are suitable for the P3B-F.

    HTH - Roy

    --
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties
    and confers no rights.

    Dubious or not - we might be rigth both of us:
    A fact: SDRAM modules can be registered or unbuffered (the term unregistered
    is sometimes used too).

    In the manual chapter 3.5 one can read:
    "This motherboard uses only ...DIMMs. Sockets are available for 3.3Volts
    (..) UNBUFFERED ...SDRAM.".
    And further the Note:
    "At the time this User's manual was written, 256MB DIMMs are only available
    as double-sided REGISTERED memory".

    Why mention "unbuffered... SDRAM" if both registered and unbuffered modules
    will work?
    Why bother the note when registered modules will work?

    Possibly something like an ASUS-apology for at that time the extra price of
    registered modules ??:-o
    These obvious questions made me uncertain and might be the source of a
    semantic battle ;-)

    /Torben Birk

    "Roy Coorne" <roy.spam.coorne@gmx.net> skrev i en meddelelse
    > Torben Birk wrote:

    > > the i440BX chipset generally support registered memory but advices to
    check
    > > the manaul - and the P3B-F manual (1.04) is more dubious.
    >
    > The manual -
    > http://www.asuscom.de/pub/ASUS/mb/slot1/440bx/p3b-f/p3bf-104.pdf -
    > is not dubious at all - well, they don't list Kingston;-)
    >
    > You may wish to check www.crucial.com > Memory Upgrade... they offer
    > ECC modules which are suitable for the P3B-F.
    >
    > HTH - Roy
    >

    > --
    > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties
    > and confers no rights.

    AFAIR many BX boards will run registered DIMMs just fine, even if only
    spec'd for unbuffered. What I find interesting is that registered
    modules with 16Mx8 chips exist - x4 chips seems to be much more popular
    on those, IIRC because Chipkill only works with them.

    Stephan
    --
    Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
    PC#6: i440BX, 1xP3-500E, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

    Torben Birk wrote:
    > Dubious or not - we might be rigth both of us:
    > A fact: SDRAM modules can be registered or unbuffered (the term unregistered
    > is sometimes used too).

    Right.

    > In the manual chapter 3.5 one can read:
    > "This motherboard uses only ...DIMMs. Sockets are available for 3.3Volts
    > (..) UNBUFFERED ...SDRAM.".
    > And further the Note:
    > "At the time this User's manual was written, 256MB DIMMs are only available
    > as double-sided REGISTERED memory".

    = At the time the User's manual was written, unbuffered (unregistered)
    256 MB DIMMs were not yet available.

    > Why mention "unbuffered... SDRAM" if both registered and unbuffered modules
    > will work?

    Registered modules won't work.

    > Why bother the note when registered modules will work?

    Registered modules won't work. I read the note as a warning to the
    user to be cautious when buying DIMMs for the P3B-F.

    > Possibly something like an ASUS-apology for at that time the extra price of
    > registered modules ??:-o
    > These obvious questions made me uncertain and might be the source of a
    > semantic battle ;-)

    Yes, the note is not as clearly written as possible;-)

    Roy

    --
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties
    and confers no rights.

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 00:55:53 +0200, Roy Coorne
    <roy.spam.coorne@gmx.net> wrote:

    >Registered modules won't work.
    >
    >> Why bother the note when registered modules will work?
    >
    >Registered modules won't work. I read the note as a warning to the
    >user to be cautious when buying DIMMs for the P3B-F.

    It's odd that Registered DIMMS are supported on the P2B-F, but not the
    P3B-F.

    soupy wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 May 2004 00:55:53 +0200, Roy Coorne
    > <roy.spam.coorne@gmx.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Registered modules won't work.
    >>

    >>>Why bother the note when registered modules will work?
    >>
    >>Registered modules won't work. I read the note as a warning to the
    >>user to be cautious when buying DIMMs for the P3B-F.
    >

    > It's odd that Registered DIMMS are supported on the P2B-F, but not the
    > P3B-F.

    Maybe it's because some of the p2b series board are considered more or
    less "professional" boards, also used in small servers (p2b-ds at
    least), in these applications usually registered ecc ram is used.
    Anyway, I'm pretty sure registered ram will work just fine on the p3b-f,
    as always you just can't mix registered and unbuffered. Asus tells you
    you NEED to use registered ram if you have more than 2 modules on ALL
    boards with bx chipset, regardless the board model (that is, of course,
    not exactly true neither).
    http://www.asuscom.de/support/FAQ/faq094_MBIT.htm
    groups.google.com will tell you the same.

    Roland

    Roland Scheidegger wrote:
    > soupy wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 18 May 2004 00:55:53 +0200, Roy Coorne
    >> <roy.spam.coorne@gmx.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Registered modules won't work.

    >>> Registered modules won't work. I read the note as a warning to the
    >>> user to be cautious when buying DIMMs for the P3B-F.
    >>

    >> It's odd that Registered DIMMS are supported on the P2B-F, but not the
    >> P3B-F.
    >

    > Maybe it's because some of the p2b series board are considered more or
    > less "professional" boards, also used in small servers (p2b-ds at
    > least), in these applications usually registered ecc ram is used.
    > Anyway, I'm pretty sure registered ram will work just fine on the p3b-f,
    > as always you just can't mix registered and unbuffered. Asus tells you
    > you NEED to use registered ram if you have more than 2 modules on ALL
    > boards with bx chipset, regardless the board model (that is, of course,
    > not exactly true neither).
    > http://www.asuscom.de/support/FAQ/faq094_MBIT.htm

    It's funny: This Asus page links to Crucial for an explanation of
    'registered', and Crucial informs on the P3B-F: "Module Types
    Supported: Unbuffered only".

    > groups.google.com will tell you the same.

    Yes, there are postings about P3B-F boards run with registered DIMMs.
    Very strange all that, indeed; didn't Crucial do their homework?

    Roy

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 22:49:19 +0200, Roy Coorne <rcoorne@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Roland Scheidegger wrote:
    >> soupy wrote:

    >>> It's odd that Registered DIMMS are supported on the P2B-F, but not the
    >>> P3B-F.
    >>

    >> Maybe it's because some of the p2b series board are considered more or
    >> less "professional" boards, also used in small servers (p2b-ds at
    >> least), in these applications usually registered ecc ram is used.
    >> Anyway, I'm pretty sure registered ram will work just fine on the p3b-f,
    >> as always you just can't mix registered and unbuffered. Asus tells you
    >> you NEED to use registered ram if you have more than 2 modules on ALL
    >> boards with bx chipset, regardless the board model (that is, of course,
    >> not exactly true neither).
    >> http://www.asuscom.de/support/FAQ/faq094_MBIT.htm
    >
    >It's funny: This Asus page links to Crucial for an explanation of
    >'registered', and Crucial informs on the P3B-F: "Module Types
    >Supported: Unbuffered only".
    >
    >> groups.google.com will tell you the same.
    >
    >Yes, there are postings about P3B-F boards run with registered DIMMs.
    >Very strange all that, indeed; didn't Crucial do their homework?

    When I can fill all four slots using commodity dimms and reach the 1GB maximum
    supported system memory capacity, why would I buy a registered dimm that (1)
    adds latency, (2) cannot extend the 1GB memory limit, and (3) costs more?

    /daytripper (Perhaps Crucial got an "A" on their homework? ;-)

    Hi Torben!

    Torben Birk wrote:
    > I have a P3B-F rev1.04. I am running P3B-F ACPI BIOS 1008 beta 04.
    > I can't figure out wheter this MB support the Registered Kingston module:
    > KVR100X72RC2L/256 or not.
    > I'm almost sure that if it wasn't registered it would be compatible - since
    > it consists of 18 RAM-chips organised as 16Mx8.
    > According to:
    > http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/ram_bx_faq.html
    > the i440BX chipset generally support registered memory but advices to check
    > the manaul - and the P3B-F manual (1.04) is more dubious.
    >
    > And why I choose this ECC memory module? - it is cheap: 40$!. And the only
    > 256MB module I can get at present that possibly would work.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Torben Birk Christensen
    > (Remove fruit to email)

    I don't know all the ins and outs of this RAM-jungle.
    But I can happily report that my P3B-F rev.1.04 (BIOS 1008 IIRC) runs
    just great with 2x 256MB ECC RAM (32x64 chip-config, as with all BX-boards)

    HTH /Ola J

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 09:56:18 GMT, in <alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus>, Ola A
    Johansson <wheel1@telia.com> wrote:

    > Hi Torben!

    [snip]

    > I don't know all the ins and outs of this RAM-jungle.
    > But I can happily report that my P3B-F rev.1.04 (BIOS 1008 IIRC) runs
    > just great with 2x 256MB ECC RAM (32x64 chip-config, as with all BX-boards)

    [snip]

    If those DIMMs are really 32x64, then they are *NOT* ECC.

    And either way, ECC is near-certainly not the issue that's giving Torben
    problems. Rather, it is the fact that the DIMMs he's trying to use are
    buffered "registered" types.

    --

    Jay T. Blocksom
    --------------------------------

    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

    Unsolicited advertising sent to this E-Mail address is expressly prohibited
    under USC Title 47, Section 227. Violators are subject to charge of up to
    $1,500 per incident or treble actual costs, whichever is greater.

    [REPOST: Apparently, the original copy of this article did not propagate.
    Apologies if duplicate.]

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 09:56:18 GMT, in <alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus>, Ola A
    Johansson <wheel1@telia.com> wrote:

    > Hi Torben!

    [snip]

    Jay T. Blocksom wrote:
    > Alas, I don't have a P3B-F manual handy at the moment,...

    You may download the manual at

    ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/asuscom/HANDBUCH/Motherboard/Slot_I/INTEL_Chipset/

    Roy

    Jay T. Blocksom wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 May 2004 09:56:18 GMT, in <alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus>, Ola A
    > Johansson <wheel1@telia.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi Torben!
    > >
    > [snip]
    > >
    > > I don't know all the ins and outs of this RAM-jungle.
    > > But I can happily report that my P3B-F rev.1.04 (BIOS 1008 IIRC) runs
    > > just great with 2x 256MB ECC RAM (32x64 chip-config, as with all BX-boards)
    > >
    > [snip]
    >
    > If those DIMMs are really 32x64, then they are *NOT* ECC.
    >
    > And either way, ECC is near-certainly not the issue that's giving Torben
    > problems. Rather, it is the fact that the DIMMs he's trying to use are
    > buffered "registered" types.

    Sorry, typo from me.. 32x72 of course, or there would be no room for
    the parity-bit...

    C'ya /Ola J

Asus Support Motherboards