David

Does XP currently support PCI Express? Will Service Pack 2
include support for PCI Express? If not, when will XP
support PCI Express?

Thank you.

Does you mobo support PCI express?

"David" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:0d8c01c434fb$f92e8e30$7d02280a@phx.gbl...

David said in news:0d8c01c434fb$f92e8e30$7d02280a@phx.gbl:
> Does XP currently support PCI Express? Will Service Pack 2
> include support for PCI Express? If not, when will XP
> support PCI Express?
>
> Thank you.

What hardware (i.e., motherboard) do you have or have you found that you
intend to purchase that actually implements PCI Express?

*** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

*Vanguard* wrote:
> David said in news:0d8c01c434fb$f92e8e30$7d02280a@phx.gbl:
>> Does XP currently support PCI Express? Will Service Pack 2
>> include support for PCI Express? If not, when will XP
>> support PCI Express?
>>
>> Thank you.

As boards with PCI-E haven't hit the market yet (TTBOMK) then the point is
moot.

Cerridwen said in news:c7jeoo$m8c$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk:
> *Vanguard* wrote:
>> David said in news:0d8c01c434fb$f92e8e30$7d02280a@phx.gbl:
>>> Does XP currently support PCI Express? Will Service Pack 2
>>> include support for PCI Express? If not, when will XP
>>> support PCI Express?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>
> As boards with PCI-E haven't hit the market yet (TTBOMK) then the
> point is moot.

That was my point (that you omitted by snipping out MY reply). Had another
user asking about whether or not to buy SATA-2 spec'ed hard drives and then
asked him what he had or knew to buy that supported it yet. Subject
immediately died.

*** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

From what I understand, motherboards will be coming out
later this year (2004) with PCI Express. I was just
wondering how long it takes Microsoft to come out with OS
support for new hardware?

From what I understand, motherboards will be coming out

> [...]
coming out
> later this year (2004) with PCI Express. I was
just
> wondering how long it takes Microsoft to come
out with OS
> support for new hardware?

Wouldn't it be more a case of the MB and add in
card manufactures
supplying drivers?

Jim M

anonymous wrote:
> From what I understand, motherboards will be coming out
> later this year (2004) with PCI Express. I was just
> wondering how long it takes Microsoft to come out with OS
> support for new hardware?

Truthfully, I don't think that would be Microsoft's problem.

If the companies want the drivers to be "Certified", then they submit them
to Microsoft. Otherwise they probably just create drivers that you have to
"Continue Anyway" on and you do it to get the latest/greatest... Like
always. heh

--
<- Shenan ->

Shenan Stanley said in news:Or6DCfcNEHA.268@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl:
> David wrote:
>> Does XP currently support PCI Express? Will Service Pack 2
>> include support for PCI Express? If not, when will XP
>> support PCI Express?
>
> Jim Maklin wrote:
>> Does you mobo support PCI express?
>
> David wrote:
>> From what I understand, motherboards will be coming out
>> later this year (2004) with PCI Express. I was just
>> wondering how long it takes Microsoft to come out with OS
>> support for new hardware?
>
> Truthfully, I don't think that would be Microsoft's problem.
>
> If the companies want the drivers to be "Certified", then they submit
> them to Microsoft. Otherwise they probably just create drivers that
> you have to "Continue Anyway" on and you do it to get the
> latest/greatest... Like always. heh
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

Part of the setup program's function is to load dozens and dozens of drivers
that are included to find out what hardware is installed. If Windows
doesn't include the driver, you will probably have to hit F6 at the start so
the install will pause to let you install the drivers so the hardware then
becomes manageable and usable. Otherwise, the hardware could be so
different than what Windows supports that you couldn't even get it
installed. I suppose if the BIOS was written to mask the difference in
hardware schema so that access to PCI devices remained the same then the
install would continue okay.

*** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.