Canon Multifunction

My Canon i850 needs a new printhead. Depending on the price (don't know yet),
may be better to go for a new printer, considering that a new one will also
include a complete set of new ink tanks.

Would really like the Canon 730 multifunction, but it is quite expensive.
Anyone have any comments/experience with this unit? Have noticed that most
'multifunction' threads in this group don't get too much response--is that
because few people actually use multifunctions?
--
Just Another Joe Why be politically correct, when you can be right?
jaj@shaw.ca.windows If you wish to reply by e-mail, remove .windows.

Douglas

It is a very nice printer,and not really that expensive.Amazon.com has it
for $259 shipped free.I have a couple of all-in-ones,mainly for quick
copies.The newer units are a lot better than they were a couple of years
ago.

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 00:52:11 -0500, "Douglas" <.> wrote in message
<IvGdncaKRsKMvuPdRVn-hg@centurytel.net>:

> "Just Another Joe" <address@sig.end> wrote in message
> > My Canon i850 needs a new printhead. Depending on the price (don't know yet),
> > may be better to go for a new printer, considering that a new one will also
> > include a complete set of new ink tanks.
> >
> > Would really like the Canon 730 multifunction, but it is quite expensive.
> > Anyone have any comments/experience with this unit? Have noticed that most
> > 'multifunction' threads in this group don't get too much response--is that
> > because few people actually use multifunctions?
>
> It is a very nice printer,and not really that expensive.Amazon.com has it
> for $259 shipped free.I have a couple of all-in-ones,mainly for quick
> copies.The newer units are a lot better than they were a couple of years
> ago.

Hi Douglas. Thanks for the pointer. I guess 'quite expensive' depends on one's
perspective :). Don't believe Amazon's free shipping would apply to Canada, so
guessing and additional $20 or so. So, $280 US would cost me about $400 Cdn
after exchange and taxes. Sounds about right, as Staples here has it for $449,
and one can always get a $20 to $50 discount coupon for Staples. But that is
_relatively_ :) expensive, compared to just a printer. The Canon i860 can be
had here for $199, maybe less. Of course, the 730 does so much more, which is
why I want it :)!
--
Just Another Joe Why be politically correct, when you can be right?
jaj@shaw.ca.windows If you wish to reply by e-mail, remove .windows.
The free things in life are best.

Buy it! I have used the Canon MP730 almost daily for nearly a year now in my
home office and it has worked great. Photo quality from its 4-color print
engine is excellent although not, of course, to the same level as the output
from either my i950 or i960. B&W copies utilize the larger pigmented black
ink tank and are virtual clones of the originals. Once scanned, copies are
produced rapidly.

I was thinking of a MFD as well, looking at the specs, it looks like the MP 390 does
about the same as the 700 and the 730 but probably a lot less $'s (haven't checked BC
prices yet) maybe a tad slower and 6# lighter, and non-legal document scanning than
the other two.Looks like the same ink tanks and number of them as well.
Ian

Just Another Joe wrote:
> My Canon i850 needs a new printhead. Depending on the price (don't know yet),
> may be better to go for a new printer, considering that a new one will also
> include a complete set of new ink tanks.
>
> Would really like the Canon 730 multifunction, but it is quite expensive.
> Anyone have any comments/experience with this unit? Have noticed that most
> 'multifunction' threads in this group don't get too much response--is that
> because few people actually use multifunctions?

The printer's only design flaw is Canon's use of two cartridges, one tricolor
($18.50) and one black ink ($7.00), each rated at only 300 sheets or so. Other
vendors offer individual cartridges for each color, thus reducing the cost of
consumables over the lifetime of the printer. Sorry didn't read into that from
Cannon's site.

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Canon_MultiPass_MP390/4505-3181_16-30734335.html?tag=subnav

http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/products/jump/0,23009,3627807,00.html

Stuuder wrote:

> I was thinking of a MFD as well, looking at the specs, it looks like the
> MP 390 does about the same as the 700 and the 730 but probably a lot
> less $'s (haven't checked BC prices yet) maybe a tad slower and 6#
> lighter, and non-legal document scanning than the other two.Looks like
> the same ink tanks and number of them as well.
> Ian
>
> Just Another Joe wrote:
>
>> My Canon i850 needs a new printhead. Depending on the price (don't
>> know yet),
>> may be better to go for a new printer, considering that a new one will
>> also
>> include a complete set of new ink tanks.
>>
>> Would really like the Canon 730 multifunction, but it is quite expensive.
>> Anyone have any comments/experience with this unit? Have noticed that
>> most
>> 'multifunction' threads in this group don't get too much response--is
>> that
>> because few people actually use multifunctions?

I suggest you a HP multifunction printer because mainly of your low print
volume.

--

Yianni
in@mailbox9.gr (áöáéñÝóôå ôïí áñéèìü åííéÜ áðü ôï email)

--

> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 00:52:11 -0500, "Douglas" <.> wrote in message
> <IvGdncaKRsKMvuPdRVn-hg@centurytel.net>:
>
> > "Just Another Joe" <address@sig.end> wrote in message
> > > My Canon i850 needs a new printhead. Depending on the price (don't
know yet),
> > > may be better to go for a new printer, considering that a new one will
also
> > > include a complete set of new ink tanks.
> > >
> > > Would really like the Canon 730 multifunction, but it is quite
expensive.
> > > Anyone have any comments/experience with this unit? Have noticed that
most
> > > 'multifunction' threads in this group don't get too much response--is
that
> > > because few people actually use multifunctions?
> >
> > It is a very nice printer,and not really that expensive.Amazon.com has
it
> > for $259 shipped free.I have a couple of all-in-ones,mainly for quick
> > copies.The newer units are a lot better than they were a couple of years
> > ago.
>
> Hi Douglas. Thanks for the pointer. I guess 'quite expensive' depends on
one's
> perspective :). Don't believe Amazon's free shipping would apply to
Canada, so
> guessing and additional $20 or so. So, $280 US would cost me about $400
Cdn
> after exchange and taxes. Sounds about right, as Staples here has it for
$449,
> and one can always get a $20 to $50 discount coupon for Staples. But that
is
> _relatively_ :) expensive, compared to just a printer. The Canon i860
can be
> had here for $199, maybe less. Of course, the 730 does so much more,
which is
> why I want it :)!
> --
> Just Another Joe Why be politically correct, when you can be right?
> jaj@shaw.ca.windows If you wish to reply by e-mail, remove .windows.
> The free things in life are best.

Douglas

And HOW do you know what their print volume is? I see no mention of that!
And I see no reason to buy an HP because of low print volume!

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 01:42:23 GMT, Just Another Joe <address@sig.end> wrote in message
<dtpr70linb9fglopde0dp9v70k85gl3pb6@4ax.com>:

> My Canon i850 needs a new printhead. Depending on the price (don't know yet),
> may be better to go for a new printer, considering that a new one will also
> include a complete set of new ink tanks.
>
> Would really like the Canon 730 multifunction, but it is quite expensive.
> Anyone have any comments/experience with this unit? Have noticed that most
> 'multifunction' threads in this group don't get too much response--is that
> because few people actually use multifunctions?

Thanks to all who replied; especially coinman1 for his comments on the 730,
and Stuuder for comments on, and links to reviews of, the Canon 390. The
*** Good News *** is that Canon has agreed to replace my i850 pinthead, which
serves to reinforce my high opinion of Canon! So, I won't be _forced_ to by a
new printer :). Of course, I would still very much like a multifunction :).
The 730 uses the same tanks as the i850, and may even be the same print engine,
so I'm sure I would be happy with its output. And, it has the ADF, which I
really like. But, I'm afraid that at that price, I'll have to hold off for
a while. The 390 lacks the ADF, but if I could get past that, I think it would
suite my needs. I don't like just black/tri-colour tanks, but for my quantity
of printing, and at its lower price, it may be something I can go for sooner :).
--
Just Another Joe Why be politically correct, when you can be right?
jaj@shaw.ca.windows If you wish to reply by e-mail, remove .windows.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal labotomy.

Please tell me how you got them to replace your print head. I tried the
same and failed.